PDA

View Full Version : Rental Apartment Help Needed!!!

ryanreader
July 20th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I am looking to rent an apartment at www.yianta.com. They have only been in operation since February 2006, and there is little information on the internet concerning their quality and reputation. If anyone can offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Schadenfrau
July 20th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Okay, I'm not even going to click on that link, due to the fact that it's likely spam.

If you want help, come back and explain your situation. Otherwise, please go away.

BrooklynRider
July 20th, 2006, 03:35 AM
I am looking to rent an apartment at www.yianta.com. They have only been in operation since February 2006, and there is little information on the internet concerning their quality and reputation. If anyone can offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Original post deleted

Ninjahedge
July 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM
http://metva.com/images/spam_storm2.gif

ryanreader
July 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I appreciate the quick responses, although I am greatly offended by spam accusations. My son and I are traveling to New York from Indianapolis over labor day weekend (August 31st - September4th). He is an avid tennis fan and we are comming in to see the US Open, as well as doing a variety of sightseeing. The apartment listed is www.yianta.com. They are located on 50st and 3rd avenue (or at least that's what their website says) -- near rockefeller center. We are looking to verify their credibility, although there is little information on the internet. Also, one of the members posted that it has a terrible reputation, is this true??? or are you being sarcastic. I would honestly like to know from someone who has some knowledge about the place.

Thank You for your help,
Ryan

Ninjahedge
July 20th, 2006, 11:59 AM
We have been getting a LOT of drive-by posters that are getting more and more creative with their messages when it turns out to be only advertisement.

I am sorry if I misconstrued your question for something other than what it was.

You may want to do a general forum search for "real estate agent" and see what you find, there are quite a few references to different areas and agents (such as Corcoran) on various posts in the forum...

GL!

Schadenfrau
July 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Why not get a hotel?

ryanreader
July 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM
The reasons we're not getting a hotel: 1) we already booked the rental apartment (just making sure we don't have to cancel reservations), 2) hotels in the area are MUCH more expensive in comparison to quality.

ryanreader
July 20th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I hear they suck. One of the worst places out there. Terrible reputation. Outrageous fees. Unethical agents.

From who have you heard this. It greatly concerns me.

ablarc
July 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM
From who have you heard this. It greatly concerns me.
I'd wait for some more responses before taking any action.

Occasionally some of us are quick to condemn.

Try sending a PM for elaboration. That'll give you more of a basis for judgment.

ryanreader
July 20th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I sent a private message last night, and have yet to receive a responce. If anyone else has any information, it would be much appreciated.

ryanreader
July 20th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Help!!

ablarc
July 20th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I sent a private message last night, and have yet to receive a responce.
Since you got no response, chances are there's little substance to the accusations.

I wouldn't worry too much; what's the worst that can happen? I've had excellent results renting short-term apartments in Boston.

By coincidence, I'll also be at Forest Hills with my son for Sunday evening's match, September 3.

ryanreader
July 21st, 2006, 12:33 AM
I hope it will turn out alright. Where did you get your US Open tickets. I have purchased some for monday sep 4th and Friday, September 1st and I am also looking for evening session tickets for Sunday, September 3rd (same day you are attending.

BrooklynRider
July 21st, 2006, 12:04 PM
My post was exactly what Ninjahedge noted - a reaction to a perceived spam post. They are increasingly frustrating. My apologies. I know nothing about that company - just hate the guerilla marketing tactics used lately. I have modified my original post.

So, what kind of contract are you getting. Is this a legal sublet? Who exactly is your check being made payable to? The rental agency? The building management company? A legal tenant? Make sure you have a contract that states that this agency is duly authorized to rent/lease the specific unit in the specific building on behalf of and with the knowledge of the unit lessee (if there is one) and the building management. The two would ensurethat you have all bases covered. Make sure the company is a member of REBNY.

ablarc
July 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
I'm glad things got cleared up for you regarding your apartmental rental. Those places on their website look pretty nice. Let us know how they actually are.

Where did you get your US Open tickets. I have purchased some for monday sep 4th and Friday, September 1st and I am also looking for evening session tickets for Sunday, September 3rd (same day you are attending.
Just google "US Open Tennis Tournament Tickets"; you'll have your choice of a dozen or more brokers. Checked yesterday, and there are seats, while new ones come up all the time; this is after all largely a resale-for-profit market with speculation and markup. Instead of relying just on your computer, get the seating chart up on your screen, call one of the '800' numbrers, and talk to a real and friendly human being. I had an easy time of it that way.

ryanreader
September 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I just returned from my trip to New York, taking a chance with Yianta. I am very glad I did. Despite the awkward payment process, the room turned out to be a bang for the buck. Amazing bathroom, spacious room, prime location, great AC, free internet and cable TV, kitchenette, comfortable bed, closets, and couch with pull out bed. I stayed at the 50th and 3rd one bedroom studio appartment and would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to New York. Just seach "yianta" on google and it is the first hit. Professional website. Here are some pictures I took of the appartment during my stay (we cluttered up the room a little bit during our stay :D):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/calvinmaniac12/IMG_3605.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/calvinmaniac12/IMG_3604.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/calvinmaniac12/IMG_3603.jpg

Good Luck if you visit New York. First time I have ever been and it was amazing. Went to see the Us Open, luckily-took a chance by going to the USTA grounds and some people gave us tickets to the Thursday night Agassi - Bahgdatis match. What a thrill, never seen a better match in my life. If you don't have much time in New York, I would recommend:

-US OPEN!!! (Don't expect to buy scalped tickets though--not only is it illegal, it is a total mob)
-Empire State Building (or Top of the Rock for shorter lines). If you go to empire state building, you could save TONS of time by buying tickets before online, you are not locked into a specific time.
-New York Waterways Boat tour, amazing views of city and statue of liberty, as well as good commentary from tour guide
-Walk the Brooklyn Bridge!!! What a view, and 100% free
-Bike tour or walk Central Park. Two hour bike tour is great way to see the park, learn about its history, in a short amount of time
-NBC Studio Tour: if you ever watch TV, it is amazing. I got to see SNL, NBC nightly news, and Conan O'Brian studios
-A Broadway play: I saw Avenue Q and it was hilarious. Also heard great things about Spamalot, Rent, and Jersey Boys. I don't think there are too many that wouldn't be a hit
-Visit Times Square: take some time here, it is plainly amazing, though very crowded
-Try new food: we loved Ess-A-Bagels right around the corner from our Yianta appartment, great people, and great bagels. Also recommend Bubby's for breakfast, down towards finacial district
-World Trade Center Site: Something you can't miss
-WALK AROUND: walking is AMAZING. you see some amazing sights, and get to experience the full feeling of New York. Don't waste time with cabs unless leaving Manhattan
-Take the Subway vs. other transportaion: it is quick, safe, and efficient. Very cheap and you can get an all day pass for only $7. A total steal.

Thanks for your help wirednewyork!
Ryan :)