PDA

View Full Version : Broker recommendations???

amaluu729
July 20th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I know this is dangerous as it might invite spammers, but I'm really hoping someone might be able to help us out by recommending any TRUSTWORTHY brokers in NYC --- personal experience is appreciated!!! Anyone you had a personal interaction with???

Luca
July 21st, 2006, 02:03 AM
I think that you might be well served by a reputable on-line stockbroker that does execution-only or mostly execution and do the hard work to make up your own midn by yourself. A lot of the issues in retail finance, from dodgy pricing to outright fraud are abetted by individuals' understandable wish to abdicate their decision-makign responsibility.

amaluu729
July 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Oops - I should have specified - thanks for the great info though, Luca, I'll definitely file it away - :)

I'm actually looking for apartment brokers ...

shocka
July 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Craigslist... thats where most brokers get their listing any way

khunter
July 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
I'd recommend trying to find an apartment without a broker. I just went through the process and some brokers are just TERRIBLE. I'm sure there's a few good ones out there; I just couldn't find them. My roommate and I ended up renting in a building where we dealt directly with the management in the building. There was no broker's fee and they knew what they were talking about.

Front_Porch
July 24th, 2006, 11:29 AM
it really depends on what your budget is.

If you're bargain-hunting, I agree with the thread that you should try to do it by yourself. I have close friends moving to the city with budgets of $2,000 a month for one-bedrooms, and even my expertise and resources can't help them.

Hit craigslist, look at backpage.com (the new Village Voice site) and set up an email chain among all your friends. The best thing you can do for yourself is to make time to see places during the workweek, because the market is tight and decent cheap places in Manhattan go in a day or two.

if you're paying market rates (say $3,300/month for a Manhattan one-bedroom) I'd say a broker is worthwhile because we'll get leads faster than you can, and the fee you pay will get you more apartment.