PDA

View Full Version : living upper west side and being in NY for a couple of years

lorcar
July 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM
Hi all!
i'll be landing in the greatest city in few weeks, study for a master, so i'll spend more or less a couple of years, living in upper west side, close to 120th.
I am so excited and now reading the thread "what to do/what to see once u are there".
But the point is that although i do not fell like a newyorker, i don't think i will fit in the "classical" tourist stereotype, so maybe i do not need to see everything during the first weeks.
I would love to discover my neighbourhood, walk a lot, jogging in Central Park, buying food in saturday market, having my own bar, etc etc.
How is the UWS? I will be very close to Morningside park: how is there? do you have some suggestion? is there something i cant miss or something i had betted to avoid?
i really thank you in advance, and look fwd to being there as well.
ciao
lorenzo

ManhattanKnight
July 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM
I will be very close to Morningside park . . . is there something . . . had betted to avoid?

Yes. Morningside Park. Try Riverside Park instead. The neighborhood you're speaking about is Morningside Heights, which is sort of an appendage to the UWS, but not really part of it. Not unsafe but certainly not as lively or interesting as the area south of roughly West 90th Street.

Schadenfrau
July 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
You think? I actually find the UWS just south of 90th Street to be rather fratty and dull, not lively or interesting. Unless you're interested in stroller-pushing moms dodging drunk guys in baseball hats.

Lorcar, you will be somewhat near my favorite bar in the city:

http://www.dingdonglounge.com/

ablarc
July 22nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
Over the years I've lived up and down the West Side: 71st, 84th, 108th, 111th, 113th. I found them all interesting. It's harder for me to make glib social distinctions between one part and another. Everywhere you'll find a mix of students, young couples, families, retirees, immigrants. You'll find a nice mix of whites, blacks, hispanics and Asians, and a fair number of foreign-born people. At one time Jews were quite prevalent, less so now.

I would avoid Morningside Park.

aural iNK
July 22nd, 2006, 08:27 PM
What's wrong with Morningside Park? I'm not so much disputing this, just curious as to why it should be avoided.

milleniumcab
July 23rd, 2006, 03:38 AM
What's wrong with Morningside Park? I'm not so much disputing this, just curious as to why it should be avoided.

There might not be much wrong with the Morningside Park but if given the choice I'll take the Riverside Park, too...

ablarc
July 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Morningside Park used to have a wicked reputation for violent crime and drugs. Along with New York the park has improved so much that its old reputation is no longer deserved. An occasional murder still occurs (there was one Dec. 11, 2004), but I must take back my warning. http://www.morningsidepark.org/newsletter/newsletter12-21-04.html#safety
Like any park it's no place to be at night when it's deserted, but it's fine at other times. Enjoy it.

krulltime
July 24th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I had a picnic in Morningside park today with friend that was visiting Columbia University. It was a fine day at the park. Nothing bad happened. Just lots of families enjoying the park. So I discourage avoding the park when the sun is out. But like most parks, I discourage you to walk alone at nightime. Even the amazing and touristy park, Central Park.

Schadenfrau
July 24th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I agree with Krulltime, in that parks are fine during the day, but all are to be avoided at night. It's just common sense that you not walk into a darkened area with lots of bushes at night.

krulltime
July 24th, 2006, 10:26 AM
It's just common sense that you not walk into a darkened area with lots of bushes at night.

Yes and from all of the "lots of bushes" that you shouldn't be walking at night with is the one that they call George. Stay away from that bush.

:D J/K

milleniumcab
July 24th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Yes and from all of the "lots of bushes" that you shouldn't be walking at night with is the one that they call George. Stay away from that bush.

:D J/K

Good one Krulltime, a really good one...:D:D:D