PDA

View Full Version : Bensonhurst, Brooklyn

ironmike9110
July 25th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Is the neighborhood suburban like? Im looking for a neighborhood in Brooklyn thats "safe enough" but is "city-like" and busy and a little noisy even....I dont want to move to a quiet relaxing neighborhood that when you look outside the streets are dead and you hear silence. So back to my question, is that how Bensonhurst is. If it is, any other recommendations?

Schadenfrau
July 25th, 2006, 06:29 PM
It's certainly not one of the most exciting neighborhoods in the city:

http://www.nycfoto.com/showPage.php?albumID=61

Ever seen Saturday Night Fever?

ironmike9110
July 25th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Nope, never seen it.....but i have a question, what neighborhoods in Brooklyn would you say ARE exciting?

lofter1
July 25th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Get thee to a dvd store!

Meanwhile, go HERE (http://www.comicgenius.com/DISCOFEVER/disco_profiles/saturday_night_fever/snf_profile.htm)

ironmike9110
July 25th, 2006, 08:45 PM
soooooooooo, what neighborhoods are exciting in Brooklyn? :)

milleniumcab
July 26th, 2006, 12:05 AM
East New York, Bushwick, Bed Stuy...There is a scene being SHOT, couple times a week....

Schadenfrau
July 26th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Come on, not all of Bed Stuy is such a nightmare.

It's pretty easy to do a search of Brooklyn neighborhoods on this site, IronMike. What exactly are you looking for in a neighborhood?

MrSpice
July 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Is the neighborhood suburban like? Im looking for a neighborhood in Brooklyn thats "safe enough" but is "city-like" and busy and a little noisy even....I dont want to move to a quiet relaxing neighborhood that when you look outside the streets are dead and you hear silence. So back to my question, is that how Bensonhurst is. If it is, any other recommendations?

Bensonhurst is a relatively large Brooklyn neighborhood stretching for several large blocks. The "busy" centers are the 86th Street (under the subway line) that is filled with shops (including Gap), grocery stores, cafes, restaurants and other businesses and loads of people. Also, the 18th Avenue between 60s streets and 86th Street is a very busy thoroughfare with many Italian cafes and restaurants, stores and other businesses. Otherwise, the neighborhood is comprised mostly from 1-2 family houses and some apartment buildings. There have been a lot of new construction in the area and many new 3-6 floor condos were built there. The population is mostly Italian americans, Russian immigrants - some quite americanized by now and an increasing Asian population. In fact, on 86th Street, there are now many large fruit stands and fish/meat markets that significantly expanded in the last few years since a new wave of immigrants from China has arrived.

The area is close to the Ceasars Bay that in addition to having Best Buy and other stores, offers a chance to walk along the ocean towards Verrazano Bridge, he a bike path and a place where many kids and families walk and enjoy nature. Also, it's a short subway ride to Coney Island and its beaches.

The area is also pretty safe and rents are quite affordable. You can have a car there and can park it on the street for free, if you're not lazy to re-park it a couple of times in the week when they clean the streets.

If you're looking for exciting nightlife with cool bars and hip people, they you should head to Williamsburg, Park Slope or Carrol Gardens where apartment prices are much higher and car parking is very expensive. Those areas feel more like parts of Manhattan.

ironmike9110
July 26th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Come on, not all of Bed Stuy is such a nightmare.

It's pretty easy to do a search of Brooklyn neighborhoods on this site, IronMike. What exactly are you looking for in a neighborhood?

im looking for a more manhattan feel-exciting night life, busy, lots of shops and stores, younger people.....but i dont really have alot of money to work with. Ill probably have to settle for Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge.

edit. Ill widen my search more. Any neighborhoods like what i described above in Queens or the Bronx? Something with rents around the prices that of Bensonhurst?

Alonzo-ny
July 26th, 2006, 12:32 PM
im looking for a more manhattan feel-exciting night life, busy, lots of shops and stores, younger people.....but i dont really have alot of money to work with. Ill probably have to settle for Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge.

edit. Ill widen my search more. Any neighborhoods like what i described above in Queens or the Bronx? Something with rents around the prices that of Bensonhurst?

try astoria

ironmike9110
July 26th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Astoria looks pretty cool...but the thing that keeps me liking Bensonhurst is that it seems to be very italian. Is Bensonhurst "not the most exciting place to live" yet still city like or is it like living in the suburbs? -- Whats the ethnenticity of Astoria? I hear its very Greek...

and No, i am not being racist

ASchwarz
July 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Astoria looks pretty cool...but the thing that keeps me liking Bensonhurst is that it seems to be very italian. Is Bensonhurst "not the most exciting place to live" yet still city like or is it like living in the suburbs? -- Whats the ethnenticity of Astoria? I hear its very Greek...

and No, i am not being racist

Bay Ridge sounds perfect for your tastes.

Bay Ridge is also very Italian and has loads of nightlife. The restaurants are really good, especially if you like Italian, Greek or Middle Eastern food. It's very safe and quite scenic in parts. There's a waterfront promenade, lots of parks and a fancy section around Fort Hamilton High.

Bay Ridge is only slightly more expensive than Bensonhurst and is a much more exciting neighborhood. Third Avenue is very active with nightlife well into the morning. There's also some activity on Fourth and Fifth Avenues.

Bay Ridge also has more "Manhattan-style" amenities than Bensonhurst. There are more of the Manhattan chains (multiple Starbucks, Gap, Benetton, Circuit City, Century 21 Dept. Store).

The commute to Manhattan is a snap. You have the R train (subway), the ferry (NY Water Taxi) and the MTA Express Bus. They're building a bike path from Bay Ridge to the Brooklyn Bridge.

Schadenfrau
July 26th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Bensonhurst is not the suburbs, but like MrSpice said, most of the housing is 1-2 family homes. That's not very city-like.

If you'll take an apartment with roommates, you won't have any trouble finding a neighborhood with lots of restaurants, shops, and younger people. If you're on a budget, and refuse to share an apartment, your options will be very limited.

Which neighborhoods do you like in Philadelphia?