PDA

View Full Version : I need a guide to the UES!

PennilessRolexWearer
July 28th, 2006, 11:43 AM
First post. I hope this isn't inappropriate to this subforum. Having a little difficulty figuring out the theme here! I am trying to find a home to discuss NYC-related topics! :)

Fairly new to the Upper East Side and cannot get comfortable with either a) a supermarket or b) a dry cleaner.

We sometimes go to the Gourmet Garage on 96th and Park, but we're closer to 86th, so it's a haul. Eli's Vinegar Factory is too wickedly expensive and Gristede's is somewhat grubby.

Dry cleaner: Anyone know of a decent place for drycleaning? The places around us are charging $3.50 per shirt. That is a lot more than I paid on the UWS.

I won't feel at home on the UES until I solve these problems!:(

Thanks,

PRW

MrSpice
July 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM
First post. I hope this isn't inappropriate to this subforum. Having a little difficulty figuring out the theme here! I am trying to find a home to discuss NYC-related topics! :)

Fairly new to the Upper East Side and cannot get comfortable with either a) a supermarket or b) a dry cleaner.

We sometimes go to the Gourmet Garage on 96th and Park, but we're closer to 86th, so it's a haul. Eli's Vinegar Factory is too wickedly expensive and Gristede's is somewhat grubby.

Dry cleaner: Anyone know of a decent place for drycleaning? The places around us are charging $3.50 per shirt. That is a lot more than I paid on the UWS.

Thanks,

PRW

You're tried most of the supermarkets. So the ones I would suggest won't help that much. You can try Pioneer on the corner of 92nd and Lex. It's relatively small and not all produce is good all the time, but they have good prices and pretty decent selection. There's also Key Food on the corner of 91st and 2nd - it looks much worse than Gristedes, but they have the lowest prices for the basic stuff. I.e., cereal, meats, bread, pasta, etc. Fruits and vegetables are pretty bad there, though.

pianoman11686
July 28th, 2006, 12:29 PM
There's also a Food Emporium on Madison around 88th, I think, as well as one further east (maybe on 3rd & 82nd?). It's been a while since I frequented that neighborhood. Dean & Deluca is upscale/lots of prepared food - corner of Madison & 85th.

ablarc
July 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM
What gives? Why are there so few decent supermarkets in New York? Lost opprtunity for Fairway to expand into every nook and cranny.

Gristede's: they need some advice from Dean and Deluca on what to carry; their prices are already in the stratosphere.

MrSpice
July 28th, 2006, 01:33 PM
There's also a Food Emporium on Madison around 88th, I think, as well as one further east (maybe on 3rd & 82nd?). It's been a while since I frequented that neighborhood. Dean & Deluca is upscale/lots of prepared food - corner of Madison & 85th.

There's Food Emporium on the corner of 1st and 87th, but it's clearly overpriced on most basic items compare to Key Food and Pioneer. Personally, I buy most fruits and vegetables in Brooklyn either on Brighton Beach on in Bensonhurst on 86th Street - much better selection and prices and quality is much better than in Manhattan's grocery stores.

Schadenfrau
July 28th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Ten blocks is definitely not a haul for good groceries. Invest in an old-lady cart if you find that you can't carry everything.

You might be interested in UES Greenmarkets:

http://www.uppergreenside.org/2006/06/29/promoting-greenmarkets/

MrSpice
July 28th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Compre to Wegman's in Upstate New York, any New York City supermarket is simply terrible, especially when it comes to fresh produce.

pianoman11686
July 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I think anyone who's ever visited one of the new Whole Foods, or any specialty market like Citarella's, Trader Joe's, or Balducci's, would beg to differ. As far as produce goes, that's not at all unique to the city. I live out in the suburbs, and I almost never get produce at the local A&P or Shoprite. I get it at a place that specializes in it - a kind of farmer's market-meets specialty store. I do know that New York has its share of Oriental-owned produce stores, some of which I've visited in the past. They're generally much better than your run of the mill grocery stores. But I won't argue that the average Gristedes/Key Food is detestable in almost every category. Thankfully, they seem to be getting replaced by better-quality outlets.

Schadenfrau
July 29th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I do know that New York has its share of Oriental-owned produce stores, some of which I've visited in the past.

You seem like a pretty reasonable person, so you have to know the problem with what you just posted.

milleniumcab
July 29th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I buy my fruit & vegs from my "side walk-fruit stand" , fresh everyday.....I don't eat much meat so I don't have to worry about shopping for it... Milk or cheese is really not a big concern, I can do without them...

Bagels are something I can not shop for, they are either good or not good and I rather have good ones...:)...

Between Costco in LIC and sales in local pharmacies, I save a whole lot with household items...

Living on UES is like living on any neighborhood... You don't have to spend as much as your neighborhood is spending...Take your time and discover what it has to offer to you..trust me, you will be happy here, whether you choose to shop at Eli's or not..

milleniumcab
July 29th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Compre to Wegman's in Upstate New York, any New York City supermarket is simply terrible, especially when it comes to fresh produce.

New Yorkers do not buy fresh produce at supermarkets..They know better..;)

User Name
July 29th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Thanks,

PRW

Here's a thought...

Ask your neighbors where they go for doing everything on your list. :rolleyes:

pianoman11686
July 29th, 2006, 11:15 AM
You seem like a pretty reasonable person, so you have to know the problem with what you just posted.

I don't understand. Should I have said Asian? All I wanted to convey was that these establishments usually have much better quality produce than most supermarkets. When I used to live in Queens, there were two especially good ones, both right across the street from a Key Food. They always had great produce, and little of anything else, so when fruits and vegetables were needed at home, this is where we got them from.

So, is there still a problem?

Schadenfrau
July 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Like the old saying goes, rugs are Oriental, people are Asian.

Sorry to harp on that, but I was just surprised to see that you'd said it. It gave me flashbacks to my grandfather talking about "that nice Negro family down the block."

pianoman11686
July 29th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Sorry for the slip. I didn't even realize that I said "Oriental-owned." I just know I've seen at least one such place that advertised its "Oriental Produce," and meant to communicate that. Shouldn't have used it to describe the people that own it.

lofter1
July 29th, 2006, 03:02 PM
"oriental" = eastern

"occidental" = western

perhaps a bit of an archaic usage, but our asian brethren would be best to comment as to whether or not it is considered demeaning / condescending.

or maybe it's another one of those descriptive terms that will turn its meaning on it's head and become de rigeur ...

ablarc
July 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Sorry to harp on that...
You should be sorry to harp on that. You do entirely too much harping of this kind, and it's a drag. Can't you find more edifying topics for conversation?

Nattering hall-monitor stuff.

Schadenfrau
July 30th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I'm sorry I offended you, honky cracker, but it seemed like something that should be nipped in the bud. Do you have anything else to point out, whitey?

pianoman11686
July 30th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Whoa. Now I'm really sorry I said what I said...

Schadenfrau
July 31st, 2006, 03:01 AM
Don't be, Pianoman. From you, it was just an oversight, but it's still something that should be pointed out, because there are a lot of posters who don't share the same ethical responsibility.

You're free to call me a prude, Ablarc, but then remember that when you wonder about the lack of women on this forum.

BRT
August 1st, 2006, 02:02 AM
Wait -- women avoid this forum because somebody voiced disapproval of a nit-picky correction you made?

Do you realize how absurd this sounds?

TipsyMcStagger
August 27th, 2006, 10:24 PM
PRW, I live on 87th and 2nd. My favorite market without question is Agata & Valentina on the corner of 1st and 79th.

They have a wonderful selection of cheeses, fresh seafood, beautiful produce and a nice butcher all at very reasonable prices. They also have a nice selection of prepared foods

It's much less expensive than Eli's or the Vinegar Factory. I shop there all the time unless I just need a box of Cheerios or something, which I'll grab at the Food Emporium across the street on 2nd Ave.

Hope this helps!

Tipsy

milleniumcab
August 29th, 2006, 12:48 AM
I'll second that.. Agatha is pretty good...