stache
July 31st, 2006, 09:01 PM
Will the lights go out

1 - Tuesday
2 - Wednesday
3 - later

Ninjahedge
August 1st, 2006, 08:42 AM
I say today (Tuesday) will be a few, since it will be above 100 in some areas, but it all depends.

Since this is a work day it is less of a chance of the power going out (especially if people do not have their AC on during a work-day).

I would suppose some of teh suburbs having the worst on a day like today, and I doubt we would have a blackout like, what was it, 2 years ago?

Eugenius
August 1st, 2006, 12:25 PM
I do not believe there will be a blackout at all. If ConEd allowed one to happen, they would have their butts handed to them by the regulators. There is a reason why NY has the highest electric rates in the country. One of the reasons is the extra reliability measures that ConEd has paid for. (The other, obviously, is the transmission constraints into NYC).

BrooklynRider
August 1st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Tomorrow at 3:35PM

Ninjahedge
August 1st, 2006, 02:31 PM
I do not believe there will be a blackout at all. If ConEd allowed one to happen, they would have their butts handed to them by the regulators. There is a reason why NY has the highest electric rates in the country. One of the reasons is the extra reliability measures that ConEd has paid for. (The other, obviously, is the transmission constraints into NYC).

OK, then a brownout. ;)

stache
August 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM
Tomorrow at 3:35PM

Meet you on the corner!

lofter1
August 3rd, 2006, 12:36 AM
Power went out in my building at ~ 12:45 PM Wed. Aug. 2 ---

Interior problem.

LL got an electrician here and (for the most part) it was back on by 6pm.

Still some bugs to work out ...

Luckily I was out that whole time ;)

Ninjahedge
August 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
It has been going out around the area in small doses.

Interesting thing to me are buisnesses that need to be told specifically, and repeatedly, that they need to do things like keep their doors closed and/or raise their AC temp settings.

Seems it would be a no-brainer, but some people have this all innocent look on their face saying "I didn't know".

BS.

lofter1
August 3rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
^^ Another indication of the national / local / personal breakdown (or failure to establish) a sense of "community", whereby individuals recognize that we are all in this together.

This goes far beyond NYC electrical use.

It is both a failure of leadership and a failure of the citizenry.

When resources are limited and a person says / thinks, "But I'm entitled" then the slide down the slippery slope begins.

BrooklynRider
August 4th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I work in the East 20's. Today the NYPD drove through the streets with bullhorns blaring asking people to please turn off electricity to stave off impending black out. It seems the east side was the only side really affected.

lofter1
August 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Not that I wish this upon Kips Bay residents, but it's interesting to see that it's not just low income neighborhoods that are losing power.

Con Ed: equal opportunity [non] provider:

Kips Bay Residents Forced To Cope With Power Outage

NY1 (http://ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?&aid=61536)

While some of the feeder cables have been repaired, Con Edison is still working to restore power to businesses and residents along Manhattan’s East Side Thursday.

NY1’s Roger Clark filed this report.

Nintey-three-year-old Walter Marwill has a good son-in-law who took him to his air conditioned office after power went out in his Kips Bay apartment building Thursday.

“It's too warm upstairs . You cannot help it," Marwill says.

One of the giant Kips Bay towers lost power Thursday morning, as Con Ed crews worked to fix seven feeder cables on the East Side.

“It was a brownout [Wednesday] night. The lights were low, the air conditioners were not as functional as they usually are, so I knew something was happening last night,” says Kips Bay resident Karen Braglia. “And then when I woke up this morning the air conditioning wasn't working at all."

To add insult to injury, a manhole explosion across the street on First Avenue and 30th Street knocked out the city Medical Examiner's office, forcing use of a backup generator.

Generators were also supplying power to hospitals, like Bellevue and NYU Medical Center. At NYU, only two elective surgeries had to be rescheduled for tomorrow.

"We have actually shifted any operations or services that we needed to shift in order to accommodate. There has been no interruption in patient care at all," says George Contreras, Director of Emergency Management at NYU Medical Center.

Kips Bay Towers residents could have used a generator. Martin Saunders was stuck downstairs because the elevators were out. Building workers were taking food to his disabled wife on the 16th floor.

“I can't walk it. My wife can't come down because she’s in a wheelchair, and she must be hungry by now,” he says. “I've been down here since 7:30 this morning."

Because of the situation, Con Ed asked residents and businesses in the area to curtail energy use, especially what the utility calls “non-essential appliances and equipment,” to help conserve power in the area.

From 14th to 40th streets on the East Side between Fifth Avenue and the East River, it was a hectic, hot day for everyone. But Walter Marwill says, hey, that's New York City for you.

“That's it, always the same. It never changes,” he says. “But that's alright, I like it anyway."

So do a lot of people. But our patience is starting to wear a little bit thin.

- Roger Clark
http://ny1.com/ny1/images/general/pix1.gif
[I]Copyright © 2006 NY1 News