PDA

View Full Version : Forum software upgrades

Edward
August 12th, 2003, 07:49 PM
I want to announce a forthcoming software upgrade for Wired New York Forum. The forum would be powered by phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com/) *software. All existing content would be copied to the new forum, and the old forum would remain as an archive. There would be no need to re-register since the user information would be transferred to the new forum. The forum would be closed during the upgrade, but hopefully it would not take long.

It is an appropriate moment to ask for your opinion as to the forumís structure. Please express your views on what additional categories the forum might need, or the existing categories split/rearranged.

Gulcrapek
August 12th, 2003, 07:58 PM
I think everything's fine. Forums like SSP and SSC have too many subforums.

Can't think of anything to improve the site, really.

ZippyTheChimp
August 12th, 2003, 08:47 PM
I agree. The structure is fine.

You might want to incorporate a sticky post function, to keep certain topics at the top of the list.

Edward
August 12th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Yes, there will be a sticky post function.

Kris
August 13th, 2003, 11:25 AM
The New York City Guide section's name and description ("What to see, where to stay, what to do" ) don't reflect its content. It sounds like a touristic resource when its topics are also urban issues such as the city's infrastructure and politics.

Edward
August 13th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Here is the structure I propose:

Category 1: New York City Guide
Forum 1: For Visitors (What to see, where to stay, what to do)
Forum 2: For New Yorkers (including infrastructure and politics)

Category 2: Real Estate
Forum 3: Residential
Forum 4: Commercial

Category 3: Skyscrapers and Architecture
Forum 5: New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
Forum 6: World Skyscrapers and Architecture

Category 4: Support
Forum 7: Forum Issues
Forum 8: Moderator Forum (private area)
Forum 9: Wired New York Website Support

Category 5: Theme Park
Forum 10: News and Politics
Forum 11: Travel
Forum 12: Photo Shoot
Forum 13: Anything Goes

Some comments: New York City Guide section splits in two - one, intended as an orientation and help for visitors, the other absorbing the rest of the city life issues. Real Estate Section splits in two - residential and commercial. Skyscrapers and Architecture remains the same, and is joined by the former Beyond the City under the roof of Skyscrapers and Architecture category. Moderator's forum added to the existing Forum Issues and Website Support. The Anything Goes forum is re-arranged, with News and Politics becoming a separate forum. Travel and Photo Shoot are more of an experiment, Travel forum intended for discussions of travel - outside New York, and Photo Shoot for photography not fitting into skyscrapers and skylines definition.

The number of forums would be expanded to 13 vs. existing 7. Wait, it can't be 13, we'll have to either add or remove one forum. What do you think?

NYatKNIGHT
August 13th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Is someone going to divide the existing threads into these categories? Will you take this opportunity to dump some unnecessary threads? Where does the old "Beyond the City" fit in - like NJ, Long Island, and CT - Forum 6? Where do random photos of, say, Greenwich Village go, photo shoot or NYC Guide?

If we can further define the intention of each, maybe we can add or remove one.

Gulcrapek
August 13th, 2003, 06:36 PM
IMO those are too many. I don't think real estate needs to be divided, a simple indication in the title of each thread would do. In addition I think Travel&Photo Shoot could go together.

NoyokA
August 13th, 2003, 06:54 PM
I like it.

I think we should dedicate a section to one or two time posters who might be interested in places to go, live, or students looking for floorplans; to build upon
Forum 1: For Visitors (What to see, where to stay, what to do)

Just Rich
August 13th, 2003, 09:18 PM
I'm not clear on what the difference is between what goes into Real Estate and what goes into Skyscrapers and Architecture

Kris
August 14th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Topics on building projects of no architectural interest or considered from a purely commercial and utilitarian perspective go in Real Estate. Sometimes it isn't obvious; the posted article, for example, can contain both aspects or be on the borderline. I'd say architecture takes precedence.

I agree with Gulcrapek that the division of Real Estate, already not the most active section, seems superfluous. And since travel often involves photography and vice versa, the relatively rare non-travel photos could easily be posted in Anything Goes.

After Beyond the City was created, even Hoboken or Yonkers threads began to migrate there. I think it's absurd that they be in the same place as Paris or Tokyo ones.

Photos of NYC neighborhoods would probably belong in the guide for visitors (although they may also interest New Yorkers).

(Edited by Christian Wieland at 4:51 am on Aug. 14, 2003)

Edward
August 15th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Take a look at the updated forum structure:

Category 1: City Guide
Forum 1: New York City Guide for Visitors (What to see, where to stay, what to do)
Forum 2: New York City Guide for New Yorkers
Forum 3: New York Metro

Category 2: Skyscrapers and Architecture
Forum 4: New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
Forum 5: New York Real Estate
Forum 6: World Skyscrapers and Architecture

Category 3: Support
Forum 7: Forum Issues
Forum 8: Moderator Forum (private area)
Forum 9: Wired New York Website Support

Category 4: Theme Park
Forum 10: News and Politics
Forum 11: Travel and Photo Shoot
Forum 12: Anything Goes

Real Estate goes in Skyscrapers and Architecture category, the topics of Beyond the City would be in Forum 3 New York Metro, Forum 6 World Skyscrapers and Architecture, and Forum 11 Travel. There is obviously an overlap between forums 1 and 2; anything of interest to New York visitors including pictures of neighborhoods, would go to forum 1, all the rest of city life would go into forum 2.

Once all content is transferred to a new place, it would have to be pruned and sorted using the new structure. This sorting, however, does not have to be done immediately, it can be done as-you-go, for active threads only.

The new structure will also necessitate assigning moderators to the new sections.

LF22
August 25th, 2003, 03:14 PM
so roughly when is the temporary shutdown to take place?

Edward
September 4th, 2003, 11:10 AM
The forum software was upgraded on 9/4/2003, however there is a problem with content conversion. It is possible that the conversion would have to be repeated, in that case all your posts to the new forum would be lost.

Gulcrapek
September 4th, 2003, 11:32 AM
I don't have a problem with it. BTW what's your av?

NYatKNIGHT
September 4th, 2003, 11:41 AM
It's Bill the Butcher.
(Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York)

Edward, when do you expect to know if the conversion is to be repeated?

Edward
September 4th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Good news - all problems were corrected, everything seems to be working properly :D

Jasonik
September 4th, 2003, 03:01 PM
My total post tally was around 215 yesterday now it's 191-2. Have some threads/posts been deleted?

Edward
September 5th, 2003, 11:57 AM
The only remaining issue I am aware of at this moment is the Search function. The index has to be rebuilt; I will make an announcement when this is complete.

Some comments on forum setup: any forum member can start polls; signatures are not enabled; only gallery avatars are enabled, so you have to select a new one; in the Profile/Preferences, set the option "Always show my e-mail address" to NO (default option) - forum members can contact you using PM.

tugrul
September 5th, 2003, 08:12 PM
The only remaining issue I am aware of at this moment is the Search function. The index has to be rebuilt; I will make an announcement when this is complete.

I just ran this phpBB search index rebuilder (http://www.phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=434) on the forum. It seems to have done the trick. Provide examples if it is still lacking in some way.

BTW, Edward, can you spruce up the header with some scenery like on the old forum? Its kinda gloomy :(

Edward
September 7th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Thanks, tugrul, you did all the hard work. Now I can officially announce that the move is complete.

As for the header picture, I was going for a new clean look.

Edward
January 24th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I am planning to upgrade the software the forum runs on to vBulletin. This is the soft that skyscraperpage.com and skyscrapercity.com use. The upgrade will improve member's experience.

Similar to the previous change of software - that was done in September of 2003 - from Ikonboard to phpbb, all existing content would be copied to the new forum, and the old forum would remain as an archive for a short period. There would be no need to re-register since the user information would be transferred to the new forum.

The forum would be closed for the duration of the upgrade, but I don't expect it to be more than several hours.

The URL of the forum will change, there would be link to the new forum from the old forum and from every page of the Wired New York website.

I would keep everyone informed about the upgrade schedule. Hoperfully, there would be minimal interruptions in the forum activity.

Kris
January 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM
What does that software offer that this one doesn't?

Edward
January 24th, 2005, 12:33 PM
There are many new features. More important ones is the ability to have attachments - when users can attach pictures from their computer to the post, support for more complex forum structure - subforums, powerful customization, and better moderation tools.

clasione
January 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
What does that software offer that this one doesn't?

VB's got tuns and tuns of awsome features.....

Get ready for a whole new Wired New York experience....

VB is simply the best out there! :wink:

NewYorkYankee
January 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM
When is this happening?

January 24th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Niiice.

And here's a thanks to Edward and the other moderators for all the good work. This site was an addiction of mine when I lived in Florida; now that I'm in NYC, it's a daily must-read.

Edward
January 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I might try to do the conversion today. The forum would be closed for the duration of the process.

yyy
January 29th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I know it's too late but I wish you could use Invision Power Board ( http://www.invisionboard.com/ ). This is a really nice forum board.

If I had seen this thread before....

However, now that I look at the new forums - it is quite nice. I like the new look :)

Evgeny
January 30th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Awesome job, Edward!

ZippyTheChimp
January 30th, 2005, 09:56 AM
On ther posting screen, the tag buttons that were present on the old format are missing. I also had trouble posting a message using the [url ] tags - got a "Invalid thread specified response."

To enable the buttons: Click on USER CP (User control Panel)
Under Settings & Options, choose EDIT OPTIONS.
Under Miscellaneous Options - from the drop down window, choose Enhanced Interface.

You should also enter your time zone in Date & Time Options.

Click SAVE CHANGES.

It corrected the problem I was having. The screen gives you more controlof the post format.

Kris
January 30th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks, Zippy.

Edward, please get rid of all those stupid-looking icons (especially the useless and annoying Post Icons), as they have partly done on the SP forum.

I could do without the silly "Super" title. Some features here just seem designed for children.

What is the point of rating threads?

Kris
January 30th, 2005, 11:35 AM
You can actually choose your title in Edit Profile.

ZippyTheChimp
January 30th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I'm happy to be rid of the "super."

Rating threads will incite arguments.

It's easier to paste articles with imbedded graphics. You don't have to remember to insert the first character of Times articles.

The search function has "Search Titles Only" as an option. The old forum options were either seach everything, or just the message body - which I thought was strange.

Edward
January 30th, 2005, 01:23 PM
The new software has so many options that it will take some time to properly configure everything. I am glad however that mostly everything works as expected.

I could do without the silly "Super" title.
This is default title - Super Moderators can moderate any forum, and Moderators only specific forums. I can change the titles - the question is - should we have a moderator being able to moderate any forum, or the old system. We can discuss this in the Moderator Forum.

Kris
January 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
It's easier to paste articles with imbedded graphics. You don't have to remember to insert the first character of Times articles.
How do you do the former? Firefox automatically did the latter in the old forum but I can't even use the right mouse button to paste here.

The rating system (for threads and members) is perfect for encouraging dull conformity.

Kris
January 30th, 2005, 02:25 PM
How do you do the former? Firefox automatically did the latter in the old forum but I can't even use the right mouse button to paste here.
I guess I just have to use Explorer.

ZippyTheChimp
January 30th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I guess I just have to use Explorer.

It's the same in IE6. Highlight text, copy, paste. What is different is that the text is in the same form as the original, with the same fonts and colors, and clickable links.

See this post as an example.

Kris
January 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Yes, it's automatic. But I'd rather not use a slower browser that is excessively vulnerable to spyware. With Firefox I can't right-click to paste, but I can use the toolbar.

ZippyTheChimp
January 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I use both. I have to keep IE6 to set the style sheet on Pbase. Firefox and IE do not always react the same way to CSS code. A good example is my main page - it's not supposed to look the way it does on Firefox.

One day, I'm going to have to sit down with both browsers, and fix it.

Kris
February 2nd, 2005, 09:35 PM
I've been trying to post this article (http://www.archpaper.com/feature_articles/02_05_mall_city.html), which is difficult to do in a clear presentation with this software (which has automation that can be rigid and hard to correct.) The real problem is that I get a notice that I've passed the limit to the number of images per post. Is this intentional?

Edward
February 2nd, 2005, 09:54 PM
By default there was a limitation of 5 images per post. I corrected that :)

Kris
February 2nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks.

MonCapitan2002
February 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I am glad you guys made the switch. I happen to be a member of the IIDB message boards and they use this software. It is a really good forum platform. I wish RPGamer made the switch to this board.

Edward
September 29th, 2005, 10:08 PM
In the next couple of days I am planning to update vBulletin software to version 3.5. The forum will be closed during the upgrade.

BrooklynRider
September 29th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Always taking care of us....

stache
September 30th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Three cheers for Edward!

lofter1
September 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM
^ Here here!

BrooklynRider
September 30th, 2005, 09:56 AM
If this isn't done before Monday, it will be a lonely lunch hour then.

Edward
October 2nd, 2005, 09:03 PM
The upgrade is complete and it seems that it went without problems.

lofter1
October 2nd, 2005, 09:58 PM
nary a ripple.

thanks again :)

Edward
August 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I have upgraded vBulletin software the forum runs on to current version - 3.6.0

If you experience any issues using the forum, post it here, or contact me.

New features are described at vbulletin forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186803)

Edward
August 9th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Some of the new features:

Multi-Quote
The multi-quote feature allows users to tag multiple posts that they wish to respond to by clicking a small button on each post http://wirednewyork.com/forum/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif. The button changes color to http://wirednewyork.com/forum/images/buttons/multiquote_on.gif once the post is selected. Once the user clicks the reply button, each tagged post is quoted.

Quote Tags Link to Quoted Post
When quoting a post, the ID of the post is automatically included with the
tag. When the quoted text is viewed in a thread, a small icon http://wirednewyork.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif links back to the quoted post.

Example:
[quote=Edward;74583]In addition to using Google Maps on Wired New York website...

Auto-Resize Oversized Image Attachments
If a user attaches an image that has dimensions larger than 800 pixels, the image will be automatically resized to fit.

Edward
November 10th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Upgraded vBulletin software to current version - 3.6.3

Edward
May 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Upgraded vBulletin software to current version - 3.6.7

Punzie
May 21st, 2007, 05:47 AM
Thank you, Edward. Are there extra goodies for us in this version?

Edward
August 31st, 2007, 10:18 PM
Upgraded vBulletin software to current version - 3.6.8

Edward
February 5th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Upgraded vBulletin software to current version - 3.8.1

Ninjahedge
February 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM
OK, who broke the forumz??!?!?!?