PDA

View Full Version : Eleven 80 Condo in Newark - would you go for it?

LeCom
August 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Just found this ad in the morning paper, that advertised Newark's famous 1180 Raymond Boulevard being converted into condos, "50% cheaper than in New York". They list prices as $1495 for studio, $1590 for 1 BR and $2375 for 2 BR. On top of that, they got their own bowling alley, pool table lounge, private health club, valet parking, among other stuff. I know, living in Newark is now what most people looking for upscale residences want, but to me this deal sounds like living like a king for the price of an ordinary apartment in, say, Brooklyn. If I was looking for a medium-priced spot to live in the city, I'd jump on this with the quickness, even though I hate Newark. Whoud you? Or would you rather pay considerably more for the same thing but live in a desirable upscale hood in Manhattan or Brooklyn and not having to commute to the city?

www.eleven80rentals.com

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2006/06/465811.jpg

Peteynyc1
August 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't. My studio in Manhattan (E 60's) is less than their studios are listed for. I can use the difference for a gym membership :D

stache
August 9th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Same here, plus the building in Newark is not stabilized.

LeCom
August 9th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Same here, plus the building in Newark is not stabilized.
?

stache
August 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Rent stabilized.

macmini
August 9th, 2006, 04:20 PM
For the same price you can rent a upscale apartment in JC with views of Manhattan, I like Newark but not at that price.

Dagrecco82
August 9th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I agree. $1400 for a studio is just WAY to much. I'd rather be in JC for that price or NYC for that matter

Come on, Newark. Small bites at first. ;)

Marv95
August 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Way too expensive. But you people got to realize that these aren't ordinary apts. with just 4 walls and heat and hot water. Compared to upscale apts in Newport or Manhattan, they probably look 10 times better, plus the building is more convienent than anything in Newport or Brooklyn. But if the prices were as cheap as $1200 would you go for it? And Eleven80 is NOT in the ghetto people...

stache
August 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM
It's not that convenient. If you don't like the street, then you have to wait for the City Subway to take you to Penn. Then it's close to lower Manhattan only. Many places in Brooklyn & Newport are more convenient, depending on their location.

Peakrate212
August 9th, 2006, 08:17 PM
are they selling?

Dagrecco82
August 9th, 2006, 08:33 PM
^^ Yes, go here.

www.eleven80newark.com (http://www.eleven80newark.com/)

Marv95
August 10th, 2006, 09:34 AM
It's not that convenient. If you don't like the street, then you have to wait for the City Subway to take you to Penn. Then it's close to lower Manhattan only. Many places in Brooklyn & Newport are more convenient, depending on their location.

Um let's see:
-The building is 3 blocks from Penn Station(the state's major transportation hub), a measly 10 minute walk(lots of folks, even suits, walk down this block at least 5 days a week and it's safe)
-Subway station is underneath it, but you also have at least 6 different bus routes to take you to Penn. The college folks from NJIT/Rutgers/etc. can -take the train straight there and back
-Bus service to Jersey Gardens, Livingston Mall and the airport right behind the building
-Walking distance to the new arena and NJPAC(if those folks can afford to live there they can see an event at these places)
-A block or 2 from the Gateway, PSEG and Seton Hall Law
If that's not convienent...like I said, too expensive though.

bkmonkey
August 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM
But it still doesent beat many parts of Brooklyn, Queens and JC, where subway service is often situated on the block or perhaps on the neighborhing block. From there, subway service will take you directly to manhattan or downtown bklyn or JC.

I think what people are saying.. is that the building is great, Newark is an emerging place.. however it doesent beat the value thats found in more centralized and well served locations.

G_Money
August 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I understand these are luxo apartments, and with that you get granite, marble, hardwood, washer and dryer in unit, free valet underground parking, bowling alley, media room etc, but i just think they are too expensive for where they are located. Yes you could get a place in newport for the same price, IT WONT HAVE any of these luxo ammentities i listed above, it will just be a regular 5-20 year old apartment, but I think people value the location of the apt more, thus they are willing to pay more for less in JC.

I dont know how well they are leasing, but 1600 for a 1 bedroom?? Dont know anyone who would rather live here then in Newport/JC. Just too convininet over there. I believe they missed the pricepoint here. Should be something like 1k for studio, 1200 for 1 bedroom, 1800 for 2 bed, i dunno???

I live in a brownstone in Downtown JC and work in downtown newark, i thought about living here, but its just too much for the location.

JCMAN320
August 10th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't. I mean what you stay in Downtown Newark, or go to the city. You get more in Jersey City in way of quality of life and building quality and quality of neighborhhods then you would there. Our neighborhoods are MUCH nicer and we have MANY beautiful neighborhoods. While you go through Newark and many parts in heart of the city look like London after the war. There is no pride in Newark and that's whats lacking.

I'll stay in my hometown Jersey City and move into The Beacon and be happy here in good ol' JC.

stache
August 10th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Something like this building would do much better if it was located right next to Penn.

investordude
September 2nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
Yes, a comparable apartment in JC or Williamsburg is probably more desirable for someone working in Manhattan, but what about Newark itself, a city with 12 million square feet of office space after all? Also, what about 2 income households that take NJ transit but 1 goes the other way to Iselin or similar job areas and want a fair commute for both people.

I'm skeptical those people will pay these prices to be conveniently in Newark given the availability of nearby significantly cheaper alternatives, but a proper valuation should consider that not everyone works in Manhattan.

Princemidi
September 8th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Who owns this property?

TriHobo
September 8th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Cogswell Realty

http://www.cogswellrg.com/

Princemidi
September 8th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks!

tommyjlee
October 15th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't. I mean what you stay in Downtown Newark, or go to the city. You get more in Jersey City in way of quality of life and building quality and quality of neighborhhods then you would there. Our neighborhoods are MUCH nicer and we have MANY beautiful neighborhoods. While you go through Newark and many parts in heart of the city look like London after the war. There is no pride in Newark and that's whats lacking.

I'll stay in my hometown Jersey City and move into The Beacon and be happy here in good ol' JC.

Not only lacking Pride of Newark, isn't it one of the most dangerous cities in the nation? I worked in one of the buildings near Penn Station and during the daytime is alright but if you have to work late... one should wear a bullet-proof jacket. Now think about LIVING in Newark. Perhaps 10 years down the road when the city raises the property tax and clean up the city big time.. then I may consider purchasing/renting anything there.

kevin
October 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Not only lacking Pride of Newark, isn't it one of the most dangerous cities in the nation? I worked in one of the buildings near Penn Station and during the daytime is alright but if you have to work late... one should wear a bullet-proof jacket. Now think about LIVING in Newark. Perhaps 10 years down the road when the city raises the property tax and clean up the city big time.. then I may consider purchasing/renting anything there.

That's quite possibly one of the most ignorant things I've heard in a while. I live in Newark - the building we're talking about in this thread, actually. I didn't just move here, I was living in the Pavillion apartments by Broad Street station before 1180 opened. Usually, I'd take the PATH back to Penn Station and walk back to my apartment, about a mile away, often after 9PM. I work full time in NYC and attend law school at night, so I don't get home until pretty late. I have never once had an issue of safety in Newark. Not once have I ever felt like I was going to get shot, or whatever. I also park on the streets around 1180.

I am quite proud of my city. But it won't matter how safe the city becomes, because the stigma will be constantly attached by uninformed, ignorant people like you.

G_Money
October 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Some people just feel that since there are a few brown and black faces out on the street and it doesnt look like mayberry its automatically not safe. You can not convince these people that many of these stereotypes about newark are blown out of preportion "a bullet proof vest". Unreal.

stache
October 17th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Hipster carrying large stretched canvas artwork. A sure sign of things to come -

Kroy Wen
October 18th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Some people just feel that since there are a few brown and black faces out on the street and it doesnt look like mayberry its automatically not safe. You can not convince these people that many of these stereotypes about newark are blown out of preportion "a bullet proof vest". Unreal.

utter bs- hipsters aren't moving to fringe Brooklyn en masse for the pastries.

The Hudson is wide and disconnected- the East River, Brooklyn and Queens aren't. Simple as that.

Dagrecco82
October 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM
FYI. The scaffolding is finally down at 1180. I'm guessing they are done with the restoration.

kevin
November 1st, 2006, 12:46 AM
FYI. The scaffolding is finally down at 1180. I'm guessing they are done with the restoration.

Yes, it was just outside our window the other day, and it's exciting watching the thing come down, especially since that's how we moved most of our crap into the apartment. Problem is, they installed those stupid meters downstairs. My wife complains about them because now we have to leave the car at her school (UMDNJ) every other day (until they install the meters on the 1180 side, then it's every weekday). Those meters take effect at 7AM - too early for us to have to worry about, especially since we've already had the car towed once. Once was enough. (not bitter at the city, I realize it was our fault the car was parked in the wrong spot at the wrong time)

Marv95
November 1st, 2006, 02:42 PM
Yes, it was just outside our window the other day, and it's exciting watching the thing come down, especially since that's how we moved most of our crap into the apartment. Problem is, they installed those stupid meters downstairs. My wife complains about them because now we have to leave the car at her school (UMDNJ) every other day (until they install the meters on the 1180 side, then it's every weekday). Those meters take effect at 7AM - too early for us to have to worry about, especially since we've already had the car towed once. Once was enough. (not bitter at the city, I realize it was our fault the car was parked in the wrong spot at the wrong time)

Which reminds me--how do you like living in 1180 so far? How much of an upgrade is it over the Pavillion(esp. Colonade, Hallmark House, etc.)? Does it rival something you would find in midtown Manhattan or the Gold Cost?

G_Money
November 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM
Which reminds me--how do you like living in 1180 so far? How much of an upgrade is it over the Pavillion(esp. Colonade, Hallmark House, etc.)? Does it rival something you would find in midtown Manhattan or the Gold Cost?

Yeah hows the rent now, although it isnt posted anywhere on the net i did come across somewhere that prices started at 1300. This conflicts with the starting prices I was given on a studio there last summer (1500+). Anyone know?>

kevin
November 1st, 2006, 03:44 PM
You can't compare it to Pavillion. I hated it there. Cockroaches were a way of life. We had a south facing apartment, so we boiled in the summertime, and we opened the windows in the winter (well, the vent for the windows) to avoid boiling then, too, because we couldn't control the heat. The door people were on and off, as in sometimes they were nice, sometimes they weren't. One time, during a really bad lightning storm in Newark in which the power knocked out the security system, I was locked out of the building. I had just come back from running errands, and the keycard wouldn't work for the parking gate. I drove around to the other side where the parking gate was open because it was perpetually broken. When I got to the front door of the building, the card wouldn't unlock the door. The guard was not at her post - she was outside smoking. We had to wait about 10 minutes for someone to come out of the building to gain access. The only thing I miss about that place was the fact that they had on-site parking.

Before moving into 1180, we looked at Dixon Mills in Jersey City. I love the location - the Grove Street area is great, it's like a mini-Village. But my wife goes to UMDNJ, and parking seemed to be an issue in the area. Also, the building manager never called us back. The rent was comparable to 1180, and when they called me, they couldn't have been nicer. The management treated my wife, who went to look at the floorplans and samples (since the rebuilding was just in its infancy) with the utmost professionalism, and that has stuck with me ever since. Dealing with management at Pavillion was a nightmare, to the point where they took $75 out of our security deposit for stains on the rug that existed before we moved in. Ironically enough, the guy showing us the apartment gave us a discount on our rent because of those rug stains. I left it up to my wife whether she wanted to deal with them or not over $75.

Someone I know just moved into the Portside Towers near Exchange Place. They got the smallest 2 bedroom. It's weird, because the 2 bedroom is about the same size as our 1 bedroom at 1180 sq/ft wise. They pay about $2400 a month rent for the place - significantly higher than our rent. Then again, they're only 5 minutes by path from NYC.

Yeah hows the rent now, although it isnt posted anywhere on the net i did come across somewhere that prices started at 1300. This conflicts with the starting prices I was given on a studio there last summer (1500+). Anyone know?>

I have no idea what the averate rent is where we are. I see ads in the Rutgers off campus website and some other places for like $1200 studio, $1500 1br, $2100 2br, but I have no idea how close this is to the truth. Our rent is in that range for our 1br, but I've no idea how much its fluctuated, whether it has. I think it'll al be worth it once the building is fully up to speed, with the gym, lounge, bowling alley, etc., as the apartments are more like homes than some of the other places I've seen.

brickcityoletimer
November 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Firstly, I would like to say I have been a long time resident of Newark. I grew seeing the good, the bad and the ugly. Maybe it's because I went to Arts High school, that I have been a part of the arts movement in this town or that I am just bias to the "new" influences here but I have ALWAYS seen artists frequenting Newark with portfolio’s especially when Newark School of Fine and Industrial Arts was still open. (Funny how the powers here brag that we are an arts town but let the oldest art college in the state close). Now, I am quite please with some of the changes here, but the housing situation is out of hand. What may be inexpensive to New Yorkers is outrageous for the average working family here. If you are not applicable for section 8 housing, you MAY be able to get income contingent housing (rent based on income) IF the new facility is offering that option and IF the waiting list is not FIVE years long. That leaves you paying market rate rents, which quite frankly, many Newarkers cannot afford even with a double income household @ two jobs per person. Additionally, most of the new apartments require you to make three times the rent in order to move in, now come on! If your rent is $1500 that means you would have to make $4500 in order to rent an apartment in Newark. Yeah, right did you get the memo? Most people would BUY a house if they made that much. How some people are choosing to pay for rent, utilities and luxuries such as brand new cars with full coverage insurance and such is a mystery to most. This only leads me to believe that the very people who help build and pioneer this city will surely be pushed out. Out with the old and in with the new I guess:confused:

Dagrecco82
November 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Now that the scaffolding is down for 1180, will they light-up this beautiful Art Deco building? It looks so dark and plain at night next to the Newark National Building, which is lit beautifully at night. Are there any apartments past the first set-back, or is that an outdoor patio, etc? If not I would hope they light this building and bring it back to it's former glory.

Dagrecco82
November 7th, 2006, 02:51 PM
This only leads me to believe that the very people who help build and pioneer this city will surely be pushed out. Out with the old and in with the new I guess:confused:

i thought those people moved out in the 50's, 60's and after the riots?:confused:

brickcityoletimer
November 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM
My family and many others did stay to rebuild. Now the 30 somethings -50 and above somethings who helped renew the city are being told to leave quietly by raising the rents... So, if your REALLY poor or REALLY well off you can LIVE here, what sense does that make?

Dagrecco82
November 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Same could be said about JC and countless other gentrified areas.

Dagrecco82
November 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
So does anyone know if they'll light-up this beautiful building?

kevin
November 7th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Firstly, I would like to say I have been a long time resident of Newark. I grew seeing the good, the bad and the ugly. Maybe it's because I went to Arts High school, that I have been a part of the arts movement in this town or that I am just bias to the "new" influences here but I have ALWAYS seen artists frequenting Newark with portfolio’s especially when Newark School of Fine and Industrial Arts was still open. (Funny how the powers here brag that we are an arts town but let the oldest art college in the state close). Now, I am quite please with some of the changes here, but the housing situation is out of hand. What may be inexpensive to New Yorkers is outrageous for the average working family here. If you are not applicable for section 8 housing, you MAY be able to get income contingent housing (rent based on income) IF the new facility is offering that option and IF the waiting list is not FIVE years long. That leaves you paying market rate rents, which quite frankly, many Newarkers cannot afford even with a double income household @ two jobs per person. Additionally, most of the new apartments require you to make three times the rent in order to move in, now come on! If your rent is $1500 that means you would have to make $4500 in order to rent an apartment in Newark. Yeah, right did you get the memo? Most people would BUY a house if they made that much. How some people are choosing to pay for rent, utilities and luxuries such as brand new cars with full coverage insurance and such is a mystery to most. This only leads me to believe that the very people who help build and pioneer this city will surely be pushed out. Out with the old and in with the new I guess:confused:

My wife and i are in our twenties. She is going to dental school full time (in Newark), and I work full time while going to Law School at night. We looked at houses (in and out of newark) and went so far as meeting with a loan officer. The funny thing about loans is, you can't use those loans to pay for loans. So while my wife's got plenty of money to pay for an apartment, her loans don't count as income as far as the bank's concerned. So, while we easily qualify for the rent in our apartment, despite our excellent credit, the bank can't give us a loan to afford any semi-decent house in the area. Take a look at the housing market in NJ, if you haven't in the last five years. It's ridiculous.

Also, some people who would choose to move into a $1500 apartment want the city life without the city rent. It's convenient, it's clean, and despite what many say, it's safe. We're three blocks from Penn Station, which is perfect for commuting to NYC.

$50K doesn't go very far in today's economy. But money aside, we're young enough that we want to enjoy our lives. When I'm at work from 9-5, then at school from 6-9, the last thing I want to do when I get home is mow the lawn, or fix something that's broken. Instead, maybe I'll bowl a game or two, or hit the gym. I'll worry about the lawn when I graduate and have a couple of kids.

kevin
November 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Now that the scaffolding is down for 1180, will they light-up this beautiful Art Deco building? It looks so dark and plain at night next to the Newark National Building, which is lit beautifully at night. Are there any apartments past the first set-back, or is that an outdoor patio, etc? If not I would hope they light this building and bring it back to it's former glory.

Yes they will. I've seen some of the lighting - I don't know if they've been testing it out or what, but I *think* the crown is going to be bathed in light, and there will be spotlights up the four corners of the building from the second or so floor. I do remember management assuring me that they will light the building, and eventually put a flag on that pole!

Floors 6-26 have identical floorplans (there is no 13th floor). Second floor will have the gym/lounge, there will be apartments on 3-5, and 27-34 will have penthouse apartments, with some of them having two stories and terraces.

Dagrecco82
November 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'm so glad this gem will once again light-up the Newark Skyline - a skyline distinguishable in it's own right!

stache
November 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
There's a guy at work with a stepdaughter and she just this month rented a 2 BR. in Harrison for $850.00 a month. There are still deals.

investordude
November 7th, 2006, 08:57 PM
brickincity, I understand your concern, but your reasoning is flawed in my opinion. 1180 was an abandoned/underutilized building in a previously mostly non-residential area, so it displaced few people and increased the cities tax base. While you can make an argument New York is running low on space, I just don't believe that argument applies in Newark (or Baltimore/Philly either). After WWII, mid-atlantic cities were decimated with population loss, especially on the high income end. In 1920, Newark's population was much higher than it is today.

It's great that you stayed, and I hope you continue to. But the focus for Newark should be how to get people to come back to the city, and also restore some basic balance to offset a large poor population with a more mixed community.

If rents subsequently rise, it will be because Newark has become a better place to live which pays its people higher wages and offers more employment opportunites and lower crime, rather than because of a space shortage (at least until Newark recovers its historical 1920's employment, I think its a bogus argument that newcomers are crowding out the old guard).

kevin
November 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
There's a guy at work with a stepdaughter and she just this month rented a 2 BR. in Harrison for $850.00 a month. There are still deals.

When my wife and I left the Pavillion, we effectively doubled our rent moving into 1180...and, at least in my opinion, it has been worth it. What we don't miss:

Unresponsive management
roaches
weird liquids in the elevators
jackholes smoking in the lobby/elevators
sounds of construction at 3AM
100 degree summertimes (if you're lucky, you can rent an inefficient A/C)
90 degree wintertimes
pigeons nesting in the window screens
roaches
shower temperature changes every 30 second
elevators that never work
fire alarms going off at all hours of the night
roaches

I could go into the series of things that I like about where we are now, and how the quality of life issues alone are worth the rent increase...If you look, you can find low rent. But you get what you pay for.

kevin
November 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
The bowling alley and gym are unofficially open - they're open to residents, but I think the time they're open are restricted. They're having the "official" opening on the 15th. We bowled a little last night, it's really nice. Of course, my mind was on the RU/Louisville game, so we didn't spend much time there.

ryanov
January 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I am also a resident.

It's amusing to me that the person says it would do better if it were right next to Penn. Clearly someone who does not know the area.

The city subway is in the basement of the building, essentially, with a $0.60 fare to Newark Penn (free if you are a monthly pass holder with a pass costing more than $45). The ride is 1-2 mins. The walk is about 7-8 mins.

If I were any closer than that, I'd be getting fat. :p

dmanyc
September 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
I am sure these apartments are amazing. But to say that Newark is not the ghetto is just a lie. I live in Newark having moved here from Manhattan last fall and I have to say that no matter how much wishfull thinking and new construction, this place is the ghetto and leaves me feeling pretty hopeless.

Marv95
September 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
I am sure these apartments are amazing. But to say that Newark is not the ghetto is just a lie. I live in Newark having moved here from Manhattan last fall and I have to say that no matter how much wishfull thinking and new construction, this place is the ghetto and leaves me feeling pretty hopeless.

No One is saying it's not ghetto, as most of city is that. But if you do live there you'd realize that Forest Hill, West Vailsburg, most of Weequhaic and the Ironbound, and the downtown buisness district isn't what I consider "ghetto." What part did you move to? Lincoln Park? the Central Ward past UMDNJ? Probably upset there isn't enough white faces.

Front_Porch
September 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Newark is changing so rapidly, a lot the first half of my book {Diary of a Real Estate Rookie"} is about that. I agree that you can find nice, wonderful safe places to live, but there are also scary crack houses too -- it's got everything good and bad about a big city.

ali r.
{downtown broker and writer}
the book: http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z

21&Invincible
October 5th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I was walking out of the library on my campus and I noticed the crown is lit!

66nexus
October 5th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I was walking out of the library on my campus and I noticed the crown is lit!

Yeah I noticed this too:D I hope it stays that way every night cuz it looks good. I want to move there but I think I'll have to wait until Cogswell finishes the Hahnes and adjacent building/tower

Front_Porch
October 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I want to move there but I think I'll have to wait until Cogswell finishes the Hahnes and adjacent building/tower

any idea when that will be?

stache
October 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
When hell freezes over?

66nexus
October 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
any idea when that will be?

With their current pace, I'd say they probably would have it finished by the end of 2009 (not including the extra buildings they plan on constructing). The Hahnes building doesn't share the same volume or complexity as 1180 so renovating it shouldn't be as involved (or take as long)

Jamie Van Den Bergh
September 14th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Though I do not understand why someone who would commute to NYC would want to live here, I do however understand why college students would live here.
I was there today visiting a friend who is going to Rutgers-Newark Law School. He comes from money, so he was able to splurge on the high floor 2 bedroom (the excuse--for when his parents visit....uhh, ok?? ;)).
And he is literally blocks away from school. And it is fairly safe at night. The Newark Police and University Police make SURE that it is safe to walk around this area. And I suppose the "bad guys" stay away from this area.
I mean, if my life was in NYC I wouldn't live here, but if I were going to Rutgers or worked in the area this is the best option.....dare I say, ONLY option by Newark standards anyway.

stache
September 14th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I know someone that lives in Studebaker Lofts. She really likes it.

Don31
September 21st, 2012, 03:52 PM
No One is saying it's not ghetto, as most of city is that. But if you do live there you'd realize that Forest Hill, West Vailsburg, most of Weequhaic and the Ironbound, and the downtown buisness district isn't what I consider "ghetto." What part did you move to? Lincoln Park? the Central Ward past UMDNJ? Probably upset there isn't enough white faces.

I agree. Forest Hill, the Burg and Down Neck are all really nice. I have lunch in the Irounbound at least three times a week.

newarkdevil1
September 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Jamie,

I think you are missign the audience that would go for it as you are not tryign to get a NYC manhattanite to move into 1180, you are trying to pitch to the person choosing between Brooklyn, Queens, Hoboken and Jersey City. Your pitch is a price point/value proposition versus the previously mentioned options. I know when I pitch my apartments that is the competition and the sales pitch and sometimes you win and some times you loose. The huge sales point is the 3 block walk to the Path/NJtransit as well as having the Ironbound next door. The reps attempt to solicit that crows along with those going to the Rutgers and Seton Hall Law school who can hit their price points. Regardless the note defaulted and at this point whomever finally takes ownership of the buildnig will have to decide based on what they pay for it what they think they can hit in terms of an audience. My friend lived there for two years and loved it.

Though I do not understand why someone who would commute to NYC would want to live here, I do however understand why college students would live here.
I was there today visiting a friend who is going to Rutgers-Newark Law School. He comes from money, so he was able to splurge on the high floor 2 bedroom (the excuse--for when his parents visit....uhh, ok?? ;)).
And he is literally blocks away from school. And it is fairly safe at night. The Newark Police and University Police make SURE that it is safe to walk around this area. And I suppose the "bad guys" stay away from this area.
I mean, if my life was in NYC I wouldn't live here, but if I were going to Rutgers or worked in the area this is the best option.....dare I say, ONLY option by Newark standards anyway.

Newarkguy
December 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM
****THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO MARV95/My bad,DON31***********

I agree. Forest Hill, the Burg and Down Neck are all really nice. I have lunch in the Irounbound at least three times a week.I agree on the "Not enough white faces" despite the Ironbound being 80% Europeans from Portugal and Spain, The Scottish & Irish majority of Kearny, the ones in Harrison (Im talking about the Oldtimers) tell me they will never set foot there! Portugal and Spain in their minds are Hispanic European nations in their minds, therefore no different than Mexicans. As A Puerto Rican American,I have heard this resistance everytime I try to convince then to try the Ironbound Restaurants. In their minds, the only Newark they loved burned up in 1967.
I don't blame them, who wants to drive their grandkids to the city to show them the ex diner where he met their grandma,only to find a vacant lot with homeboys yelling out "yyerrp"! (Drug sale call)

No matter, the jokes on them,since suburban whites and others come from as far as south Jersey and NYC to see concerts and the Devils,Ironmen,at the ROCK.

Newarkguy
December 28th, 2012, 12:05 PM
And why not? Newark is only 6 to 8 miles west of Times Square!
Yet its okay to commute from Kearny,Belleville,Bloomfield,West Orange,Livington,Union, Summit,New Providence,Manchester Bernardsville,Morristown, New Brunswick,South Brunswick,Phillipsburg, You even consider Philly a new "sixth"boro, Its okay to commute as far as the Poconos, RIGHT? But Black,PuertoRican,Spaniard,Brazilian,Portuguese,It alian Newark? OH GOD NOOOOO!!!!!

Im sure if a Metropolitan regional government picked Newark to be the location of ALL the regions's Public housing, YOU'D BE GUNG HO FOR IT!!!

Race is the ONLY reason for your comment!

What is so odd about commuting from Newark to NYC? Isn't the Bronx FURTHER AWAY? Isn't Most of Queens 6 to 12 miles east of Manhattan. Why is Newark with its rail connections and Path not suitable in your mind for NY commuters, but FAR DISTANT STATEN ISLAND IS OK? Its that typical NYC greed. They want EVERYTHING!!! That's why as a Newarker, I sometimes hate NYC people!

stache
December 28th, 2012, 01:27 PM
PATH is kind of clunky, especially if you have to transfer. NJT train is $$$.

IrishInNYC
December 28th, 2012, 01:46 PM
PATH is kind of clunky, especially if you have to transfer. NJT train is $$$.

And packed, man do they need more trains on PATH.

newarkdevil1
December 28th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I think the real issue is that the Port Authority looses money on the PATH and makes money off the bridges and tunnels...sort of leaves them fighting themselves. I would loveto see an expanded Path to Gand Central and Newark Aiport but I have to imagine a budget strapped Port Authority isn't rushing to do either.

Regardless the pitch for Newark and 1180 as the article started with but now includes really the whole SOMA, Edison & Broad Market apartments, is that if you are choosing between, Queens, Brooklyn, Jersey City, Hoboken and Harlem you really should be looking at Newark. This is meerly a cost/value discussion based on the amount of apartment you can get within a decent commute time from the city for what you can afford to spend. 1180 had very resonable pricing to compete with Jersey City and Hoboken for what the were offering but unfortunately was probably killed by being the trailblazer with no one following till now.

JCMAN320
December 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Sandy delivered PATH a significant setback, but before Sandy they were in the process of replacing and modernizing all the signal equipment to allow trains to run closer together and they plan on lengthening all the platforms on the NWK - WTC line to accommodate longer PATH trains to increase capacity.

Nexis4Jersey
December 28th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Sandy delivered PATH a significant setback, but before Sandy they were in the process of replacing and modernizing all the signal equipment to allow trains to run closer together and they plan on lengthening all the platforms on the NWK - WTC line to accommodate longer PATH trains to increase capacity.

The Only station that needs lengthening is Harrison , the rest were upgraded after 9/11....

ASchwarz
December 28th, 2012, 09:54 PM
The Only station that needs lengthening is Harrison , the rest were upgraded after 9/11....

They're lengthening all PATH platforms to accomodate minimum 8-car trains.

West Hudson
December 29th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Actually, the only station platforms that will be lengthened in the coming years are Grove Street and Harrison. And the extension of the platforms will be designed to accommodate 10-car trains on the WTC-NWK line in anticipation of an uptick of NJ commuters going to work at the new WTC office towers and other places of employment nearby.

ASchwarz
December 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I think we're saying the same thing. They're lengthening some of the WTC-bound platforms to accomodate 10-car trains, but all PATH platforms are to have the minimum 8-car standard. I don't know how many platforms need to be be extended to meet the 10-car and 8-car standards.

Nexis4Jersey
December 29th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I don't think there's room to expand at Grove Street...

Newarkguy
December 30th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Why is that? Are there interlockings (track switches) on both ends? Otherwise they will cut one quarter of the side of the "tubes"facing the center platform,add support columns far enough to extend the platform.

newarkdevil1
December 31st, 2012, 03:42 PM
All this talk about the PATH has me wondering, has anyone heard anything about the PATH expansion whic pops up every other year in the news...are they still studying it to death?

stache
December 31st, 2012, 05:37 PM
Last I heard it was tabled for the time being.

newarkdevil1
January 2nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Last I heard it was tabled for the time being. So depressing, I have constantly stated that the having 2 more stops in Newark and direct access from the Newark airport to Grand Central would be the greatest assitance in development #pipedreams =-(

stache
January 2nd, 2013, 09:24 PM
They are so overextended at WTC they can't do much of anything else.

newarkdevil1
January 3rd, 2013, 12:48 PM
really is sad, I wonder if they will ever be able to sell that building...certainly the last time they did things went horribly.

West Hudson
January 4th, 2013, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't say the Port Authority is overextended due to the WTC. Sure, it has sucked up a ton of money, but the PA has an incredible ability to borrow money. Actually, they're on the verge of giving Silverstein financing for Tower 3.

The real problem right now is that there are so many other priorities. Besides all the projects currently underway (including emergency projects related to hurricane Sandy), there is a redo of one of the terminals at Newark Airport, major new facilities for LaGuardia, extensions of two PATH stations and several new substations for the PATH in the works right now.

Newarkguy
January 6th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I hope the PA does not destroy the beauty of Newark Liberty International with its huge pyramid windows,oval configuration for an ugly chaotic JFK configuration. Better to reroute the NJ turnpike around to the west, over US 1&9,or shift it east either over the tracks or over the shipping lanes over a bridge,just as the belt parkway is elevated with roads& tracks underneath.