PDA

View Full Version : Internet Galleries

KTL
August 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM
What affects has the development of the internet had on the art world, and are we likely to see more changes?

Schadenfrau
August 13th, 2006, 12:27 PM
The internet has allowed people with middling Photoshop skills to slap something on the World Wide Web and call it "art," but I don't think it has had much of an impact on anything else.

ablarc
August 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM
There! Does that answer your question?

Btw, there's still a spelling error in your question. I think you mean "effects."

Getting serious, I don't think the world of high art has been much changed. Nobody risks a hundred grand sight unseen.

At the crass commercial level, you can now order hand-painted replicas of masterpieces by Van Gogh and Klimt on the net with your credit card..

bubdanose
August 14th, 2006, 08:15 AM
The crass commercial level is better than no level at all....not everyone is fortunate to travel and see the wonders of the art world, live....

Art soothes the soul....let everyone, enjoy without being discriminated against....

ablarc
August 14th, 2006, 08:36 AM
^ You need money to buy the hand-painted replicas. Even though they're done at Far Eastern labor prices, there's a lot of man-hours in one --and you have to add in marketing costs, profit, shipping and handling. You'll be surprised what your bill come to for your ersatz Van Gogh. For that kind of money, you could hop on a plane and see dozens of the real thing (and enjoy the rest of your surroundings while you're at it).

Then, if you felt like it when you got home, you could put a photographic reproduction of your favorite on your wall.

Schadenfrau
August 14th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I seriously had no idea that people would spend money on a hand-painted replica of a famous piece. What, do they try to pass it off as the real thing?

I can see that the internet has had some sort of impact on the music industry, and maybe even film, but art? That's truly a stretch.

ZippyTheChimp
August 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM
What, do they try to pass it off as the real thing?
I suppose if someone is rich & dumb, but the business is legit.

Look! Leonardo is artist of the month.

http://www.classicartrepro.com/

Schadenfrau
August 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Wow, that's just like being at the Louvre.

ablarc
August 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM
A much bigger industry than you might think:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GWYA,GWYA:2005-21,GWYA:en&q=reproduction+oil+paintings