PDA

View Full Version : How hard to make friends?

ironmike9110
August 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM
how hard is it to make friends in NYC? Its seems difficult considering the fact that everybody is doing their own thing.

NoyokA
August 17th, 2006, 09:18 PM
You'll learn once you move into the city. I know people who had trouble making friends in the city and didn't enjoy their time living in the city. My two best friends in the city lived in the same building as I did, I just introduced myself to them in common areas and it was a seinfeld like friendship, hanging out whenever any of us were free. As for people being unfriendly in NYC, that is the furthest from the truth. Nobody talks and opens up more than New Yorkers, last night a female friend and I engaged a shop keeper and then later a man outside an adult shop, some prostitutes and than lastly a cab driver in conversation. Later that night, I asked a bartender if he could hook me up with anything on the house, he poured about half a bottle of vodka down my throat, an experience I never want to experience again. I don't know if people in NYC are the friendliest people in the world but they are approachable and almost all are worth talking to. I'm not the type of person that likes to have too many friends, I prefer to have a handful of close friends that I can trust, but in NYC there was never a time that I was lonely, many nights the entire city was my friend.

But in NY if your eyes meet, the contact is broke with in a second.

This is true. I remember one day I was on the subway and my eyes met with this girl and we just looked at eachother the entire trip smiling, she left the train, still looking at me as the doors closed and blew me a kiss. I regretted not talking to her, but the reason was because I wasn't used to making eye-contact and starting a conversation outside of a night-life setting.

ablarc
August 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I don't know an easier place on the planet to get into a casual conversation than New York. Any pretext will do if you're engaged in a common endeavor --such as for example standing in a line or looking at a painting.

Bars are super-easy places to chat with people you'd never otherwise talk to. I once conversed two hours with a professional burglar, who divulged numerous secrets of his trade, confident he'd never see me again. Another guy regaled me with his adventures in Thai sex resorts. Such encounters don't yield permanent friendships, but do provide hours of diversion if you feel the need.

NoyokA
August 17th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Im the same as you on the handful of friends mentality, any tips on making them...i guess the one you subliminaly mentioned was introduce myself to those who are going to be living in my living area.

Yes. I had no more than ten close friends in the city, the two closest lived in my building. They were my closest friends not necessarily because of their superior personalities but it was the convenience aspect and the fact that we wouldn’t have to make any plans to just kick back or make plans to go out.

NoyokA
August 17th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I don't know an easier place on the planet to get into a casual conversation than New York. Any pretext will do if you're engaged in a common endeavor --such as for example standing in a line or looking at a painting.

Bars are super-easy places to chat with people you'd never otherwise talk to. I once conversed two hours with a professional burglar, who divulged numerous secrets of his trade, confident he'd never see me again. Another guy regaled me with his adventures in Thai sex resorts. Such encounters don't yield permanent friendships, but do provide hours of diversion if you feel the need.

Very true bars are super-easy. Its easy to make friends both female and guys(bar buddies) at bars.

LadyLiberty
August 18th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Not everybody likes eye contact whether in NY or in any other city.

But I think it is easier to close friendship in a big city than in a Provincial town. And as far as we all know NY is a BIG city.;) :D
And I am sure that you will close a lot of friendships there but maybe it will need a little time. I guess NYC offers a lot of possibilities to go for clubbing or dancing or what ever you like.

And don´t forget that you are a young man, and for young people it is always easier to close friendships…

LadyLiberty

MikeKruger
August 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Being around people and having more of a social life is one of the main reasons I'm so looking forward to moving to the city next year.

lofter1
August 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Ill have to get a fake id ;) Ill only be 19 when i move. Man, i feel so old, but im really just a baby.

Take care ... Our own "IronMike" Bloomberg is making changes ...

CurbedWire: Bright Lights, Big City (http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/08/18/curbedwire_bright_lights_big_city.php)

http://www.curbed.com/2006_08_ID-thumb.jpg

Scruffy88
August 20th, 2006, 01:33 AM
thats too funny that they had to post that on a sign. Oh no, i read it, now i must adhere. waste of time