PDA

View Full Version : Help with my itinary New years + proposal

FrankHegly
August 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Hi,

My and my gf are going to New York for New year and I am planning on proposing to her there. Please could anyone in the know about any of the things i plan on doing offer any tips or advise. For example opening times etc.

Day one
As I am arriving from Aberdeen I dont get in until 18:00- so here is my plan

Go to serendipity for a meal
Walk across brooklyn bridge at night
Order Champagne and all the desserts of the room service menu and just pig out and watch our fav DVDs in our hotel suiteDay Two

This is New Years eve so please any alternate suggestions are greatly received.

Go to madame tussaudes
Lunch in the Hard Rock Cafe
Stroll through central Park
Go for a meal in Smoke (jazz club)-anyone know it or any better?
Go to battery park to watch the fireworks and pop open a bottle of Cristal.Day Three

I did not want to propose on new years eve as i thoughts it would be too hard to get a private spot + thought it was a bit too tacky.

I want this to be the most romantic day ever possible so i want asmuch help as there is.

Start the day with a champagne breakfast in bed
Then make her a hot bubble bath
When she comes out there will be rose pettles on the bed and a letter telling her to dress up warm and go down to the lobby where a limo will take her to a mystery location
Limo drops her off in central park. We Go on a horse carriage ride to the lake
We go for a boat ride. It is my understanding that there is no boats in the winter but i wont let that stop me- i am going to buy a rubber dingy and we can have a piknic (fondue, strawberries and Krug rosé champagne) on the lake (this is somthing special i promised ages ago but will be compleley unexcpected)
Then i was thinking of proposing on the lake
Then i thought later we could go to One of By Land, Two if by Sea for a meal.
And then at midnight i was going to take her to the top of the rockafeller centre and give her a single pink rose (her favriote) and tell her how much i love her.Can anyone please give me help with this, whats crap whats good...PLEASE HELP

lofter1
August 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM
She's a lucky girl ...

Madame Tussaud's on New Years Eve day might be a problem / hassle as the City begins to cordon off the entire Times Square area early -- beginning the day before I believe. I suggest you email or call Tussauds to see what's the deal there.

The boat ride on the lake mid-winter with the rubber dinghy could be hilariously romantic (why hasn't Woody Allen thought of this?). But you might want to think of a "Plan B" just in case it's freezing cold and the lake is frozen over (DON"T suggest that you attempt to enter the lake if there is ice).

There is a great old wooden structure on top of a promontory near the 6th Avenue / Central Park South entrance that would offer protection from th eelements if the weather is nasty. Or the Castle above the Great Lawn has a small covered area, too.

Keep us posted ... Pictures would be great ;)

Schadenfrau
August 24th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Forget about popping Cristal in the park- the police will make you pour it out. The same goes for drinking Krug in the park. It's a nice idea, but won't work. If you want to drink champagne, you'll need to put it in a thermos.

If you try to bring any kind of boat into the water, you're begging to get arrested. Don't even think about it.

The last elevator in Rockefeller Center is 11PM.

The Hard Rock Cafe sucks and the food at Serendipity, minus the frozen hot chocolate, is awful. Maybe you should pick new restaurants? What sort of food do you like?

ryan
August 24th, 2006, 11:38 AM
How many proposers have you helped out, Schadenfrau?

Frank, you've got great ideas - and great initiative. I'd just suggest you try to be a bit more spontaneous. Unless she's been to central park, save it for the proposal, and just surprise her by kneeling down at a random moment when you're alone and she's really enjoying herself.

The boat is a fun idea, but it will probably be too cold, and I can't imagine you lugging an inflatable dingy, fondue pot and champange though the park and providing a romantic experience for your gf. Relax a little and think less about the things involved in the proposal - focus more on the experience itself.

Also forget the bridge - have you been here in winter? It can be well below freezing. Stick to the park - it's protected from the wind.

Front_Porch
August 24th, 2006, 01:09 PM
After my now-husband proposed to me in Washington Square Park, the first thing I did was kiss him (ok, that was the second thing I did, the first thing was to jam the diamond on my finger)

but then I had a strong impulse to call my mom, my best friend, and everyone I'd ever met! We probably spent the next hour dialing our friends and family . .

it might not be a bad idea to have a camera with you too, to record the big smiles on your faces.

have a wonderful time!

ali r.

FrankHegly
August 25th, 2006, 03:56 AM
lofter1

Thanks i did wonder about the lake being frozen over and thanks for the suggested plan B sites-any more anyone?

Thanks also for the tips on being arested with the champs- not good if i spend on it to have them pour it out (i will do that in the hotel room later on i think)

Will i really be arrested for putting a rubber dingy into central park lake (this is something really special for the two of us as it was a joke i made once before we were even going out)- i think i would do it any way, so what is the deal if i get arrested (what is the fine?)- this will be really unexcpected and very spontanious, she will be having such a laugh at the prospect of doing it the proposal will take her by surprise.

I was only going to serendipity for the frozen hot chocolate so i think i can put up with the bad food just for that,
but anyone got any suggestions for hard rock alternatives.

I will keep modifying my plans based on your suggestions. thanks for all the help so far

lofter1
August 25th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I've lived in NYC 25+ years and have NEVER seen a rubber dinghy on the lakes in Central Park. That might be because there are official Park folks all over the place (probably far fewer during the cold days of winter). Let's just say that "eyes are everywhwere" these days.

You DO NOT want to experience a NYC Police Station during your stay. Not romantic. Or fun.

FrankHegly
August 25th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Could anyone please verify whether I will be arrested for putting a rubber dingy into central park lake....who do i get a licence from to ok this and not be arrested

I really want to do this.

Also how often does this lake freeze over?

FrankHegly
August 25th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Ok based n suggestions so far i have revised my plans. Could people who have and those who have not please please please comment on it (tell me what is good and what is bad)
For the lovley people who have already commented thanks so much, i have made ammendments or comments in red below:

Day one
As I am arriving from Aberdeen I dont get in until 18:00- so here is my plan

Go to serendipity for a meal (Frozen hot chocolate is a must)
Walk across brooklyn bridge at night (Where i live -5° = heatwave)
Order Champagne and all the desserts of the room service menu and just pig out and watch our favourite DVDs in our hotel suiteDay Two

This is New Years eve so please any alternate suggestions are greatly received.

Go to madame tussaudes (First thing)
Lunch in SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN the Hard Rock Cafe(SUGGESTIONS)
Do somthing which is not -Stroll through central Park
Go for a meal in Smoke (jazz club)-anyone know it or any better?
Go to battery park to watch the fireworks
pop open a bottle of Cristal in the hotel roomDay Three

I want this to be the most romantic day ever possible so i want as much help as there is.

Start the day with a champagne breakfast in bed
Then make her a hot bubble bath
When she comes out there will be rose pettles on the bed and a letter telling her to dress up warm and go down to the lobby where a limo will take her to a mystery location
Limo drops her off in central park. We Go on a horse carriage ride to the lake
We go for a boat ride. It is my understanding that there is no boats in the winter but i wont let that stop me-i am going to buy a rubber dingy and we can have a picnic (strawberries predipped in fondue and Krug rosé champagne-poured into a flask) on the lake (this is somthing special i promised ages ago but will be compleley unexcpected)
Then i was thinking of proposing on the lake in my little dingy-maybe under the pretty bridge i see pictures of-any where more romantic??
Then i thought later we could go to One of By Land, Two if by Sea for a meal. Is this the best place to go??
And then at midnight i was going to take her to the top of the rockafeller centre and give her a single pink rose (her favriote) and tell her how much i love her.Was not sure whether to propose here or in the boat? I could buy all the online tickets for the rockafeller center and then it would only be us up there...what do you guys think??

Schadenfrau
August 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Could anyone please verify whether I will be arrested for putting a rubber dingy into central park lake....who do i get a licence from to ok this and not be arrested

I verified it the first time I posted. If you bring a boat into the lake, YOU WILL BE ARRESTED. Stop it, plan something else.

Sahnjit
August 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I am myself looknig for romantic ideas and wish i had thought of your day. It sounds really good, the dingy sounds fun but last time I was in NY it rained (ALL DAY).

I think you need a plan B in case it rains.

Serendipity- Shame about the food but has a nice atmosphere (mmmm frozen hot chocolate)

I am slightly cursious though where you are going to buy a rubber dingy and oars to row it, in the middle of manhanttan?

FrankHegly
August 25th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I verified it the first time I posted. If you bring a boat into the lake, YOU WILL BE ARRESTED. Stop it, plan something else.

Thanks for the heads up- I really really want to do this, does anyone have any connections they could put me in touch with to organise this.

It reall means a lot to me to do this (in fact the whole new york idea is centered on this)

Thanks for your help so far Schadenfrau

Schadenfrau
August 25th, 2006, 12:13 PM
No one will help you do it, because it's illegal!

If it's so important to you, reschedule the trip during the months when you can actually rent a boat. Otherwise, there's no way around it.

I want to second NYatNight's statement that posters here at not at your beck and call. If someone offers you advice, accept it and move on.

ryan
August 25th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Even if it were legal, I can't picture how you could get a rubber dingy from your hotel to the lake and keep up the romantic tone in the process. I see a lot of frustration and cursing while you try to bring your very specific and idealized vignette to life. What's your plan?

FrankHegly
August 25th, 2006, 12:26 PM
No one will help you do it, because it's illegal!

If it's so important to you, reschedule the trip during the months when you can actually rent a boat. Otherwise, there's no way around it.

I want to second NYatNight's statement that posters here at not at your beck and call. If someone offers you advice, accept it and move on.

I appreciate all tje help and advise off everyone. I do not excpect people to reply but the replies I do get are highly valued. I am sorry that you took it otherwise

lofter1
August 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Frank: I'm Curious -- where are you from that -5 = heatwave :cool:

milleniumcab
August 26th, 2006, 01:48 AM

I really want to do this.

Also how often does this lake freeze over?

Hey, why not?... You can always propose in the police station after the arrest.. That will certainly get you out of trouble...;)

FrankHegly
August 26th, 2006, 05:42 AM
My plan for those interested was to have the limo pick her up (i would not be with her) i would have already gone to CP. I would have the dingy in its box (so not too hard to lug around and have oars that are deattachable. Then i have a snowboarding case i could carry it all in)

Basically she would meet me at central park.
I would be carrying my snowbaord case (which is not too big and easy to carry + easily fit in all the stuff) Then she would just be curious as to what was in the bag.

After I finish with the dingy i can just bin/rycycle it (i wont carry it arround the rest of the day and the snowboard bag can just roll up)

It should not at all be unromantic carrying it around for the short time that i would as i think she would be more intruiged as to what was in it. And what we were going to do.

Oh and i was planning on taking a pump cos i do not think it would be too romantic waiting for me to blow it up.

LOVE-NYC
August 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I just found this site for the New YOrk City Dept. of Parks and Recreation (permits for special events). You might want to give it a try and see what they say. I doubt you will ever be allowed to put a rubber dingy in the lake (you will definitley get arrested if you try) but maybe there might be an alternative.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_permits_and_applications/planning_an_event.html

As for something romantic....you might want to take your girlfriend ice skating in Central Park. There probably will be 500 other people with the same idea but it's a beautfiful spot in the park with the skyline as a back drop. You could even propose to your GF there! :D

Good luck!

FrankHegly
August 29th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I just read the site you just gave me and is says :

Please note: Due to insurance reasons, the public is not permitted to launch personal boats at these sites:
Manhattan Central Park - Loeb BoathouseLocationPhone #: SeasonThe Lake off East Drive at 74th Street(212) 517-2233April to October
So i guess the lake is out.....then again it does not mention the pond :)

I dont think they would grant a special permit though....

Thanks, i might give it a go

LOVE-NYC
August 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Don't give up yet. Just call or send them a message and tell them you are flying in from oversees to propose to your gf in central park on the lake. I always find New Yorkers to be very nice, helpful and resourceful - so just give a try! Who knows...maybe they will let you rent a boat for the occasion.

Schadenfrau
August 29th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I'm sorry, but they absolutely will not. Insurance issues have nothing to do with being nice or helpful. It's best to start planning something else.

ZippyTheChimp
August 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM
So i guess the lake is out.....then again it does not mention the pond
If you are determined to be on The Lake, go to Hernshead, at the northwest corner. There is a pavilion there, and a large rocky peninsula. It is very romantic, and the view of Midtown Manhattan is excellent.

To reinforce the advice you have been given: If you take a boat on The Lake, you will get to see the NYPD Central Park precinct from the inside (not romantic at all).

And considering the times we live in, the police are going to thoroughly investigate why you are on the lake in a rubber dinghy.

FrankHegly
August 29th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Don't give up yet. Just call or send them a message and tell them you are flying in from oversees to propose to your gf in central park on the lake. I always find New Yorkers to be very nice, helpful and resourceful - so just give a try! Who knows...maybe they will let you rent a boat for the occasion.

Thanks (also thanks to Schadenfrau).

I have contacting them regarding this. The insurance problem is due to the licencing of the boats on the lake (they only have insurance until october due to the weather). Which is annoying!!

However this does not apply to the pond....but they did not say it was allowed (they told me i would be asked to remove the dingy but i would not be arrested for it).

This has out me in two ways...if i do it quick enough I could propose before they ask me to take it out.... or i could get kicked out of the park before i even step into the boat

what do u think Love-NYC??

FrankHegly
August 29th, 2006, 10:39 AM
If you are determined to be on The Lake, go to Hernshead, at the northwest corner. There is a pavilion there, and a large rocky peninsula. It is very romantic, and the view of Midtown Manhattan is excellent.

To reinforce the advice you have been given: If you take a boat on The Lake, you will get to see the NYPD Central Park precinct from the inside (not romantic at all).

And considering the times we live in, the police are going to thoroughly investigate why you are on the lake in a rubber dinghy.

Very good point..which i had not considered...thoguh i guess when they see the amazing diamond ring they might let me off.....or not

Thanks for the tip i will check it out now.

FrankHegly
August 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM

It looks so nice there, though i do not really want to be arrested. The pond from maps seems to be more secluded- this would perhaps be better as there is less chance of being seen. What do you think....is it busy or should i take my own handcuffs with me and save the NYPD the effort (and hope they are leanient)

Thanks

p.s. I do realise that this is not allowed but for love i am willing to bend the rules a little (she is worth it).......... if anyone has any advise for a good time to go and not be spotted it would be greatly received.

Schadenfrau
August 29th, 2006, 10:57 AM
There are a million places to propose in NYC that will not land you in the clink. Pick one, and please stop wasting our time.

ZippyTheChimp
August 29th, 2006, 11:08 AM
The Pond is more trafficked. Gapstow Bridge is one of the most photographed places in America.

You could try The Pool further north off Central Park West. It is more secluded, but the experience is more rustic than urban.

Again, if you are caught, you will get arrested.

Take Shadenfrau's advice.

lofter1
August 29th, 2006, 11:27 AM
... when they see the amazing diamond ring they might let me off ...

picture?

FrankHegly
August 29th, 2006, 11:38 AM
The Pond is more trafficked. Gapstow Bridge is one of the most photographed places in America.

You could try The Pool further north off Central Park West. It is more secluded, but the experience is more rustic than urban.

Again, if you are caught, you will get arrested.

Take Shadenfrau's advice.

The pond-- what a fantastic idea, you are a genius :)

FrankHegly
August 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM
picture?

It is not finished yet,

But its a custom made platinum ring with a D-flawless diamond with and ideal cut and nil flu.... it took me soooo long to find the perfect stone (also a long time to save up but i am sure it wil be worth it), i am such a perfectionist- i will post a pic when i collect it. :)

FrankHegly
August 29th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Ok thanks for all the advise on the boat including the well grounded advise from Schadenfrau(i was listening), the encouraging advise from LOVE-NYC and the über helpful tips from lofter1 + ZippyTheChimp.

So many of the comments were on this and i have a lot to consider but i would really like your advise on the rest of the days activities. For example Schadenfrau does not recomend the HRC and based on this (See listening) i would like some other suggestions....

Please any tips on anything i have planned good or bad i want to know :confused:

LOVE-NYC
August 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM
OK, I just called the Boat House (special events) and they told me that their boats are removed in October and stored for the winter. The women there was very touched by your determination and would have loved to help. At this point I agree with Zippy the Chimp that you would not want to get arrested by NYPD these days...things have changed! Sorry! Plus the women I spoke to insisted that the lake most likely will be frozen in January....at this point you could rent the ice skating rink in central park and put your rubber dingy in the middle of it and propose there...

LOVE-NYC
August 29th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I would not do lunch at the HRC...way too touristy! I don't know about your budget but if you want to do something really,really special for lunch before your stroll in the Park, go the Asiate Restaurant at the Mandarin Hotel in the new Time Warner Center (it's expensive but they do have fixed price menu for lunch). The restaurant/hotel lobby is on the 35th floor and you will have a breath taking view of the NYC skyline and parts of Central Park.

If you are planning to go there on the 31st of Jan. for lunch, you might want to call and make your reservations now!

FrankHegly
August 30th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I would not do lunch at the HRC...way too touristy! I don't know about your budget but if you want to do something really,really special for lunch before your stroll in the Park, go the Asiate Restaurant at the Mandarin Hotel in the new Time Warner Center (it's expensive but they do have fixed price menu for lunch). The restaurant/hotel lobby is on the 35th floor and you will have a breath taking view of the NYC skyline and parts of Central Park.

If you are planning to go there on the 31st of Jan. for lunch, you might want to call and make your reservations now!

Thanks you are being such a great help- i really mean it!!!
Budget is not too much of an issue, but what is the dress code (i want it to be fun and relaxed-that way i guess the next day will seem even more romantic in contrast)??

Also when the woman said she would be happy to help-did she say how (plus thanks heaps for calling, that is really nice of you)

A dingy on the ice rink would acctually be really funny, i could say that i meant to go for a boat ride but it was frozen over-lol i quite like that idea...

Thanjks for all your help so far :) - Big gold star for you!!

LOVE-NYC
August 30th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Always happy to be of help...:) The Asiate Restaurant is not exactly a fun and relaxed atmosphere...it's upscale with breathtaking views. It's smart business" attire for lunch...it's really all about the views...and the food is great, of course. Here is their website...take a look and decide for yourself.
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/532000039.asp

Here is also the link to the wollman ice skating rink in central park...and they do special events ;)...check out the web site!
http://www.wollmanskatingrink.com/main_wollman.htm

No, the women at the boat house did not elaborate - she was just touched by your determination and for giving this so much thought.

LOVE-NYC
August 30th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Look what I just found on the website ..."wollman rink's "perfect date" is second to none when it comes to "popping the question.." :):):) http://www.wollmanskatingrink.com/wollman/events/date.php

PS: I'm sure they would be more than happy to serve you champagne in your rubber dingy in the middle of the rink...PLUS you could have some romantic music playing in the backgournd....beats the lake if you ask me!

FrankHegly
August 31st, 2006, 03:19 AM
Look what I just found on the website ..."wollman rink's "perfect date" is second to none when it comes to "popping the question.." :):):) http://www.wollmanskatingrink.com/wollman/events/date.php

PS: I'm sure they would be more than happy to serve you champagne in your rubber dingy in the middle of the rink...PLUS you could have some romantic music playing in the backgournd....beats the lake if you ask me!

Wow....totally out done yourself- there is no doubt that this is perfect.... but how much would it cost, it says thay can accomodate up to 2000 people so does that mean i need to buy 2000 tickets... i really like this but i am not sure i have this much cash..... but WOW it is good...you are good, double gold star!!

FrankHegly
August 31st, 2006, 08:41 AM
I just looked at this again....it is sooo perfect.......:(

FrankHegly
August 31st, 2006, 10:44 AM
Hey look the Ice rink in the fockafeller center does it too...

http://www.rapatina.com/iceRink/engagementOnIce.pdf

This is only $150...so i wonder how much the one in central park is, does any one know the prices etc?

Schadenfrau
August 31st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Isn't there a number for you to call and ask?

LOVE-NYC
August 31st, 2006, 12:23 PM
The ice rink in central park is so much nicer than Rockefeller one. I can't imagine it to be too expenisve unless you do the whole heated tend, 5 course dinner, champagne etc. Just call them, the number is on the web site I gave you!

FrankHegly
September 1st, 2006, 03:17 AM
The ice rink in central park is so much nicer than Rockefeller one. I can't imagine it to be too expenisve unless you do the whole heated tend, 5 course dinner, champagne etc. Just call them, the number is on the web site I gave you!

I sent them a contact form yesterday (times zones make calling difficult and i think my gf would be onto me if i were calling anywhere after say 10pm, esspecially if she saw international calls on the bill)

I will let u guys know the outcome :)

FrankHegly
September 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM
any one know where i could hire a gospal choir from and how much it would cost?? (1 song)

FrankHegly
September 5th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Wow....totally out done yourself- there is no doubt that this is perfect.... but how much would it cost, it says thay can accomodate up to 2000 people so does that mean i need to buy 2000 tickets... i really like this but i am not sure i have this much cash..... but WOW it is good...you are good, double gold star!!

Just called them......it would be $2500......
Should i do it.......150/ verses 2500...but then it is private
but for a few hours it seems steep.........Hmmmmm i just dont know
Advise please (esspecially Love-NYC)

Schadenfrau
September 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Is it worth $2,350 for you to have a private proposal? I think you're the only person who can answer that.

lofter1
September 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Put that cash in a retirement account and add to it on a regular basis -- you'll both be glad you did 50 years from now.

No doubt the proposal will be just as terrific with a few folks in the vicinity.

ZippyTheChimp
September 5th, 2006, 03:10 PM
A vote for a bit of spontaneity.

ravishinglylow
September 5th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Put that cash in a retirement account and add to it on a regular basis -- you'll both be glad you did 50 years from now.

Or better yet - save it for the wedding expenses. ;)

Just be yourself, and don't worry so much about being flashy.

LOVE-NYC
September 5th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I think I agree with Schadenfrau that only you can decide if a private proposal is worth $2500 to you. People are so different and this is something so personal that it is hard to tell you what to do. I believe if she loves you she will be happy with whatever you decide to do!

PS: And I Ithink that both, ravishinglylow and ZippyTheChimp, have a point - don't worry about being flashy and keep some spontaneity!

FrankHegly
September 6th, 2006, 03:43 AM
I think I agree with Schadenfrau that only you can decide if a private proposal is worth $2500 to you. People are so different and this is something so personal that it is hard to tell you what to do. I believe if she loves you she will be happy with whatever you decide to do!

PS: And I Ithink that both, ravishinglylow and ZippyTheChimp, have a point - don't worry about being flashy and keep some spontaneity!

Thanks, in fact thank you all.

It is a really hard decision to make because I love her and money doesnt matter- but in saying that there is so much more that i could do with $2500 dollars. It is not that the private proposal is not worth that but it might mean that later on we can't do somthing else.... $2500 could do a lot really when i think about it (my problem is im a perfectionist and go full steam ahead when i have my perfect plan) i think that it doesnt need to be about being alone in a $2500 an hour ice rink....its about being together and we can do this all over new york.

I think i will try and book the rockafeller one instead, i like the idea of CP but i think she will be most bothered about the proposal than anything else. Atleast the rockflr has more of an element of surprise (i am sure most girls would guess a proposal was coming if somone hired out the whole ice rink)- is this what you guys mean about being spontanious...

Grrrr... i am really down about all this now......i bet i would not have even been fined $2500 for putting a stupid rubber dingy into central park Lake/Pond or other aquatic area (dont worry Schadenfrau..im not suggesting it)

Sahnjit
September 6th, 2006, 07:23 AM
That is over priced...do not spend that much

ZippyTheChimp
September 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Atleast the rockflr has more of an element of surprise (i am sure most girls would guess a proposal was coming if somone hired out the whole ice rink)- is this what you guys mean about being spontanious...Now you've got it.

It doesn't have to be perfect... just memorable.

FrankHegly
September 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM
You are right......its going to be special either way and i dont think throwing money at it equals more romance.
I will concentrate on the build up
(as in everything we do leading up to that point)
I think that is better than to just have a really cool proposal...

I am going to try and phone the RF ice rink now...and see if i can book it.

piglet
September 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I agree with Zippy!

suddenly surprising her and getting down on one knee on a crowded ice rink, underneath the giant christmas tree will be very spontaneous (like you just couldn't wait to ask her) and very romantic!!

go for it and good luck!

Luca
September 7th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I know a guy who wanted to make the proposal really special. He lined up all sorts of things/events and, like any complicated plan, thing started going awry. He got nervous and irritated and finally snapped at his GF, who was asking him what was wrong/etc. He was wise enough to postpone to another time.

Go with simple and natural. The last thing you want is for her to say "yes" becuase she was impresed by the 'show'. You want her to marry you 'cause she likes you. Right?

FrankHegly
September 7th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Yes i was totally worried about everything falling to pieces......... i can understand why your friend snapped..poor guy.

I also understand that it is only about us, but perhaps why this needs such planning etc is because it needs to stand out from day to day things.

I would think of myself as a very romantic guy- i do thinks almost on a daily basis- surprise her with roses, shopping trips and even small things like leaving a can of Fanta and a pack of M&M's on her desk because i know she will be thirsty and hungry after a meeting.

So my proposal has to stand out and be more than just the average day- i want perfection, and though i may not acheive it i will try my best and plan my hardest to get it right (and this is why i must utilise all of your expertise)
so thansk soo much for help so far

I still cannot get ahold of the Carol at the ice rink, she is never in Grrrr (makes it difficult as i am 6 hours ahead of you guys)
One i can get this booked everything else is easy to do..... :)

P.s does any one know a reliable contact email for a limo company that does a Rolls Royce, i tried a few but got no reply.

LOVE-NYC
September 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I know a guy who wanted to make the proposal really special. He lined up all sorts of things/events and, like any complicated plan, thing started going awry. He got nervous and irritated and finally snapped at his GF, who was asking him what was wrong/etc. He was wise enough to postpone to another time.

Go with simple and natural. The last thing you want is for her to say "yes" becuase she was impresed by the 'show'. You want her to marry you 'cause she likes you. Right?

I whole heartedly agree with Luca. I have been following this thread on a daily basis and get the impression that you are overdoing it a bit. (a Rolls Royce?) Honestly, as Luca said, you don't want her to say "yes" because of she was impressed by your "show" or how much money you spent. My recommendation - take it down a notch!

My friend's boyfriend recently proposed to her in the pouring rain on the park bench where they kissed for the first time 2 years ago. He went down on his knees in the pouring rain and asked her if she would marry him. She still crys with happiness every time she talks about it! No limo, no rolls royce, no violins playing in the background...only a New York park bench, lot's of rain and a $5 umbrella!

FrankHegly
September 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
that is really sweet...but i bet if i did that it would be sunny...

Believe me i would love nothing more than somthing simple, like to propose in the snow etc...but it would all go wrong (the boat was initially very simple and sweet but then got complicated). I know i make things complicated etc- but that is a part of me and i guess it is a part she must love.

I like everything to be planned out as i dont know NY. I have never even been to the USA. I figure the more planned it is the better, i know things might and will go wrong....but just imagine if for once everything went right... it would be perfect.

I will take advise and tone things down a little....my girlfriend is defs not a materialistic person .... and at the end the whole day will be remembered for that one or two seconds when she says yes (and i cry).... however if über planning means i can have the perfect day end with the perfect proposal then i think i should atleast give it a go.

In fact i think we (we are all in this together) are closer than we think.

For example i have avoided being arrested for a start... :)

Lets for arguments sake though think of another way to propose.
Please give me as much great help as i have had so far (esspec LOVE-NYC)
I really want to do it at night
I at least want a bit of privacy
And i want it to be pretty (as in not just a random street)

CP seems good...but i dont know about lighting and saftey at night

Imagine if i were mugged for the ring lol

p.s i do not want anyone to think in terms of throwing money at things to look flash its never about that , the rolls was to be symbolic of an English Wedding...a bit of a tease because i know that is how she would want to arrive in a really old traditional one. I reckon this will make her really desperate to get married (she all ready is but i keep telling her we should wait...he he he ;) )

I have rejigged the day a lot based on advise so far and dont really think of it as too complicated...but feedback would be great:

Start the day with Breakfast in Bed
Nice big bubble bath (recover from N'years eve)
When she comes out there is a note telling her to wrap up warm and go to the lobby)
The rolls (or taxi if this is too über the top) drops her off at CP south opposite Plaza (is this open anymore)
From here we go to on a nice romantic horse & carriage ride
Then i was thinking we could just enjoy CP and explore it, i hope it snows (i will build u all an honourary snowman and photo it 4 u)
Then i was just going to go to Starbuck for a hot chocolate- but more than open to anywhere nice that does one
Then dinner in One if By Land (seems highly recomended)
And later go ice skating and propose at the endOnly 3 things here need to be arranged, the proposal, the car and the restraunt- all should be straight fowards
Feedback please??

FrankHegly
September 8th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I booked the ice rink (Rockefeller) :)
I am happy with this as it times well I can do it at 10pm which is good cos we can still enjoy the night afterwards :)
It also means i am not being riped off and the excess money can go to other fun things. I have by no means finished with this i just wanted to give a BIG thanks to everyone (Esspecially LOVE-NYC) for helping me decide on this. Great idea L-NYC i know she will love it.

lofter1
September 8th, 2006, 08:28 PM
OK, Frank; If you want a cheering audience to erupt in applause after you're down on your knees on the ice and she says "YES", just POST the date and time of your appointment at Rock Center Ice Rink HERE at wirednewyork and I'm sure any number of folks will show up to witness the event.

One great thing about Rock Center Ice Rink is that it is recessed below the Rock Center Plaza and lots of folks gather at the edges and watch the skaters down below. It would not seem at all odd to your girlfriend that she's at Rock Center with lots of people about.

IMO the best way to enter the Ice Rink is to come at it from 5th Avenue and walk down through the Channel Gardens -- at Christmas time it gives you the direct view of the X-Mas Tree on the opposite side of the rink, and the Channel Gardens are always filled with angels at that time of year ...

Here's the view from 5th Avenue down through the Channel Gardens by day:

http://www.nyctourist.com/images/xmas/to_tree_day.jpg

And at night:

http://www.santaland.com/image/tree.jpg

Here's a view of the Rink from above (imagine you two in the middle):

http://www.nynewsday.com/media/photo/2005-11/20743068.jpg

FrankHegly
September 9th, 2006, 02:20 AM
I would welcome the chance for you guys to come and cheer (you have all been so much help and i would love to thank you all personally)

I will post the time etc nearer the event so that it does not get lost in the depths of this forum....

Just come and introduce yourself...i should be quite easy to recognise (I'll be the guy in the middle of the ice rink whos down on one knee :) )

p.s.
Thanks for the advise on how to enter- i will defs use. Could you please give me the direction or name that i should give to a taxi driver to drop me off there (you mention channel gardens but wanted to clarify) I will be coming from One if By Land which is on the west side so i will catch a cab and want to make sure i dont get lost)

Thanks (its all coming in to place now :) )

ManhattanKnight
September 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Could you please give me the direction or name that i should give to a taxi driver to drop me off there (you mention channel gardens but wanted to clarify) I will be coming from One if By Land which is on the west side so i will catch a cab and want to make sure i dont get lost)

Thanks (its all coming in to place now :) )

From the restaurant, walk the very short distance east to 6th Avenue and flag down a cab there. Ask the driver to take you to the intersection of West 50th Street and 5th Avenue. The entrance to the Channel Gardens is a short 1/2 block walk down 5th Avenue from there. You could add authenticity and drama to your evening by taking the subway instead of a cab. The West 4th Street subway station has entrances on 6th Avenue just north and south of its intersecton with West 4th Street (also a quick walk from the restaurant). From there, it's a fast ride uptown to the West 50th St./Rockefeller Center subway stop. Use the exit to the street at the front end of the train and walk east on 50th Street to 5th Avenue.

LOVE-NYC
September 9th, 2006, 10:09 AM
OK, Frank; If you want a cheering audience to erupt in applause after you're down on your knees on the ice and she says "YES", just POST the date and time of your appointment at Rock Center Ice Rink HERE at wirednewyork and I'm sure any number of folks will show up to witness the event.

I was thinking the same thing..., plus at this point I wouldn't want to miss this moment for nothing! :)

Frank, your day of the proposal sounds really nice and I wouldn't change a thing at this point! The restaurant looks soooooooooooooooooo romantic (I checked it out on their web site) and I think you can start to relax now. It's all coming together nicely! :)

FrankHegly
September 11th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Thanks for directions Mking.
What do you guys think, if i am dressed in a suit or equivelant would the subway be too hot (visions of the london underground in a suit :( )

LOVE-NYC please do come, like i said i will post nearer the time in December with the details to refresh everyones memory (but to make sure you have plenty of time to get there is will be around 10pm on Jan 1st 2007.

The restraunt looks really pretty so I just need to book it nearer the time.

I think i am almost done........glad i didnt buy the dingy in advance :)

oh...and p.s. my real name is Jamie, i just used the name FrankHegly as i did not want my girlfriend to stumble onto the forum whilst i left my desk as i was in meetings the whole day when i first posted.

Oh and Zippy if you are reading this i notice that you have a real talent for photography and if you do come along (and the same for anyone else coming on jan 1st) i would love to have a photo taken of the proposal :) as i cant take one myself.

Thanks guys.

ManhattanKnight
September 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks for directions Mking.
What do you guys think, if i am dressed in a suit or equivelant would the subway be too hot (visions of the london underground in a suit :( )

Too hot? No. Not in December.

FrankHegly
September 11th, 2006, 09:03 AM
How od i buy a subway ticket, it is in zones or do i pay by destination. If it is anything like London underground then i am sure i will be fine :)

Also is it dangerous? I will be carrying a $$$$$ engegment ring and do not want to be mugged :confused: .
This probs sounds really dumb.....its just there tends to be some places that you should always avoid and i have read not to use the subway at night- but if you guy say its fine then im fine with it :)

lofter1
September 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Subway is safe ...

Subway costs $2.00 per person per ride -- or if you're here for a week you can get a weekly card that gives you pretty much endless access to subway / bus.

Info for subway fares / Metrocard HERE (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm)

7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard
Cost: $24, reduced fare $12
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.

FrankHegly
September 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks i will do this then.
What qualifies for reduced fare, anyone?

ManhattanKnight
September 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks i will do this then.
What qualifies for reduced fare, anyone?

Old age and physical disability, I believe, and I doubt that pre-nuptial jitters is a qualifying condition for the latter. Seconding Lofter1's comment, subway safety shouldn't be on your list of things to worry about. Especially if you board the first car in the train (where the presence of the train driver offers an added measure of safety), and the view out the train's front window as it speeds through the 6th Avenue tunnel is one of NYC's most affordable thrill rides. Your route is shown in this map:

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/1764/6thavesm2.jpg

The B,D,F and V trains will all take you to your destination. The B and D are express trains that bypass "local" stations along the way and get you there a little faster and with more of the "thrill" factor mentioned above.

LOVE-NYC
September 11th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I agree with you guys that the subway is safe...but why take the risk going around with a $$$$$ engament ring on the night of his proposal?

ryan
September 11th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I don't think there's any reason for any safety concerns whatsoever at rockefeller center. But wouldn't you like to treat your future wife to a cab?

kidda
September 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Every time we go past the horses in Central Park, we want to take them home. They stink, they don't appear to be well looked after, the people who "look after them" don't look too clever. They don't look to be in the best of health. It's not romantic. Walk arm in arm, thats much better. When you see them you will understand.

ManhattanKnight
September 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM
But wouldn't you like to treat your future wife to a cab?

"Treat" and "cab" shouldn't be used in the same sentence unless accompanied by "not."

ryan
September 11th, 2006, 01:29 PM
You'd rather take the subway? It might be a treat if he's worried about paying full fare. I try not to judge.

FrankHegly
September 12th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Ok lets set a few things straight-lol
(oh btw thanks for map Mking)

Worried about paying full fare- where i live at the moment reduced fare is after 7pm- i was just wondering for this reason. I was just trying to work out if it was worth buying a week pass etc............

I dont think a cab or subway are classed as 'treats', but in saying this it is important to remember that we are not NY'ers. Things like this are fun for us as its a new type of experience (like going on a red double decker in london). Luxury is not paramount (though i dont want to be uncomfortable), but saftey is.

If you guys say the subway is sdafe i beleive you :)

milleniumcab
September 13th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Ok lets set a few things straight-lol
(oh btw thanks for map Mking)

Worried about paying full fare- where i live at the moment reduced fare is after 7pm- i was just wondering for this reason. I was just trying to work out if it was worth buying a week pass etc............

I dont think a cab or subway are classed as 'treats', but in saying this it is important to remember that we are not NY'ers. Things like this are fun for us as its a new type of experience (like going on a red double decker in london). Luxury is not paramount (though i dont want to be uncomfortable), but saftey is.

If you guys say the subway is sdafe i beleive you :)

If it will be her first cab ride, you should cab it and save the receipt for the wedding album... I think that will be cool..;)

lofter1
September 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM

NYC Taxi -- Fare Info (http://www.ny.com/cgibin/frame.cgi?url=http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/tlc/home.html&frame=/frame/travel.html)

Metered Rate of Fare

$2.50 upon entry

$0.40 for each additional unit
The unit fare is:

one-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles an hour or more; or

120 seconds (at a rate of twenty cents per minute), when not in motion or is traveling at less than 6 miles an hour
The taximeter shall combine fractional measures of distance and time in accruing a unit of fare. Any combination of distance or time shall be computed by the taximeter in accordance with the National Bureau of Standards.

The fare shall include pre-assessment of the unit currently being accrued; the amount due may therefore include a full unit charge for a final, fractional unit.

Night surcharge of $.50 after 8:00 PM & before 6:00 AM

Peak hour Weekday Surcharge of $1.00 Monday - Friday after 4:00 PM & before 8:00 PM

Tolls

On all trips within the City of New York, any bridge and tunnel tolls to the destination shall be paid by the passenger, who shall be so informed before the start of the trip.

On all trips within the City of New York, return tolls shall not be charged except for trips over the Cross Bay Veterans, Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial, and Verrazano Narrows Bridges.

On trips beyond the City of New York, all necessary tolls to and from the destination shall be paid by the passenger.

Taxicab Rider's Bill of Rights (http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rights.shtml)

FrankHegly
September 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Wow lofer1 if you are not a cab driver and you typed that off hand you know a scary amount lol.

I think i will take the cab there (means i will not get lost and late for my appointment (:) ) and take the subway back..... then i get the best of both worlds

oh btw..can anyone please suggest a suitable alternative for the Hard Rcok cafe which is apparently not very good. I was thinking perhaps TGI Friday's, please advise me otherwise if this is equally as bad- ideally im looking for a fun 'american' style atmosphere near times square (this is for lunch rather than an evening meal).

Thanks guys- as usual any input will be greatly received :D

Schadenfrau
September 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM
TGI Friday's is disgusting. Is it absolutely necessary that you be near Times Square?

lofter1
September 13th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Fun + American in Times Square ...

At the risk of being shot by others here, I suggest you might try:

Carmine's (http://www.carminesnyc.com/) (Italian American)

Virgil's Bar-B-Q (http://Virgil's BBQ) (enough said)

Bubba Gump (http://www.bubbagump.com/html/newyork.html) (Shrimp lots of ways)

milleniumcab
September 13th, 2006, 09:50 PM
You can try the "Restaurant Strip" W46th between 8th and 9th Avenues.. A whole bunch of good restaurants to choose from...

If you like meat, the street called "Little Brazil", again W46th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues.. Quite a few Brazilian and Portuguese restaurants on that block...CHURRASCO, Brazilian style barbeque is delicious...

Schadenfrau
September 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
It's west of Times Square, but Vynl is a lot more fun than any of the chain/theme restaurants:

http://www.vynl-nyc.com/vynl_about2.html

It's campy and cheap, too.

Still, are you bent on going to a chain place, FrankHegly? I can kind of understand why someone visiting the US might want to see one, but if you must, go for a silly frozen drink or something. Not only is the food generally bad, but those places always overcharge.

FrankHegly
September 14th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Thanks for your helps guys (or girls?)

Wanted it to be near times sq as we will be coming out of Madame Tussaudes at around lunch time and did not want to venture to far on an empty stomach :eek:

Going to an american 'chain' seems quite appealing- its like one of those things we should do- like the statue of liberty etc.
Are there any chains that anyone would recomend?

Otherwise I am in a toss-up between Virgils and Vynl.

lofter1
September 14th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Chain Restaurants in the Times Square area to AVOID:
Applebees
Chevy's
Hard Rock
Planet Hollywood
Planet MARS
(feel free to add to this list)

For dessert or afternoon coffee you might want to check out JUNIORS in Shubert Alley (just west of Broadway along 45th St.) --

http://www.eater.com/archives/2006/04/juniors_times_s.php
http://eater.curbed.com/archives/2006_04_juniors.jpg

FrankHegly
September 15th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Chain Restaurants in the Times Square area to AVOID:
Applebees

Chevy's

Hard Rock

Planet Hollywood

Planet MARS

:mad: - i was just about to ask about planet Holywood..... oh if somwhere happens to do the best chocolate fudge cake ever i would be willing to compramise.

Surley all these restraunts cannot be this bad (can they?) Seriously guys what makes them so bad- is it that they are full of tourists or is the food really that discusting. Basically what i am asking is are these places somthing you would not do as you live in NY but would go to if your were from abroad or are they really this bad ??????

Thanks

FrankHegly
September 15th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Oh btw

BIG thanks to lofter1 for suggesting juniors (i will go to the one in grand central for cheesecake). The menu looks really tasty but my girlfriend is a veggie and thus the lunch time menu would not suit (otherwise is was perfect)

Forgot to say this before and did not want you to think i was not satisfied with it.....Mmmmmm steak .......

Schadenfrau
September 15th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Surley all these restraunts cannot be this bad (can they?) Seriously guys what makes them so bad- is it that they are full of tourists or is the food really that discusting. Basically what i am asking is are these places somthing you would not do as you live in NY but would go to if your were from abroad or are they really this bad ??????
[/INDENT]

All of the above.

This thread will give details:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3052

FrankHegly
September 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Too much reading....it was making me hungry all this talk about burgers Mmmmm

O think i am going to go to one....so based on the fact that you guys think they are rubish what would be the least rubish one to go to...
im lookin for experiene as much as quality food (in fact bad food will only make One if by land seem even better in comparison)

Cheers guys

oh Schadenfrau you think you can make it on Jan 1st?

Schadenfrau
September 15th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately not. I'm going to be out of state at the time. I wish you luck, though.

kidda
September 16th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Hi Frank,
Theres a scottish bar just of Times Square on West 44th Street. You need to be facing uptown and turn right. Its called St. Andrews. A little reminder of home?
Heres the website http://www.standrewsnyc.com/

FrankHegly
September 16th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Unfortunately not. I'm going to be out of state at the time. I wish you luck, though.
Shame...well if plans fall through ...

FrankHegly
September 16th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Hi Frank,
Theres a scottish bar just of Times Square on West 44th Street. You need to be facing uptown and turn right. Its called St. Andrews. A little reminder of home?
Heres the website http://www.standrewsnyc.com/
Thanks i might pop in for a drink...but it would defeate the object of an american meal if i had a scottish one.

FrankHegly
November 21st, 2006, 05:23 AM
Hey all

The tickets have arrived...the jeweller says the ring will be ready on December 1st..... now the panic begins.

I need to choose a song for the proposal on ice and seen as u guys all helped me in actually choosing the venue.... i would like you guys to help choose the song.

So perhaps if people give me some Romantic songs and ill make a list and go with the majority opinion. I am not really a music person but want this song to be a real tear-jerker. Also any suggestions for 'our song' are no good, since we met near xmas its a xmassy song and would not really work on Dec 1st.

Thanks again guys :)

Luca
November 22nd, 2006, 03:21 AM
Did you ever see the soppy movie "Love actually"?

In one scene a guy surprises his friend (at the end of a wedding cerimony) by having a singer and musicians pop out and start srenading the newlyweds with (in a somewhat soul version) 'All you need is love'. I thought that was pretty good. It's a good song and it speaks to the emotions presumably involved by the moment.

When my wife walked down the aisle I had Orbison's "Petty Woman" playing.

Other idea: does your GF have a name that has been covered in a famous song ("Amanda/Mandy", "Angela/Angie", etc.) ??? You could go for that.

Kitty-london
November 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Just seen this thread, bless you, you're really going all out lucky girl!! As for the tear jerkers stuff, what you trying to do to the poor girl, she'll be an emotional wreck lol!!! Anyways maybe..

* Everybodys free- by quindon tarver (think thats his name) really nice song, download it see what you think, would sound good by the choir too. (its from the romeo and juliette soundtrack)

FrankHegly
November 22nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
I love Love Actually...its one of my fav films...

I love that scene and so does my girlfriend, but then again I think its the choir that make it, dont think it would have the same affect without the the choir plus the musicians...

I would have loved to have organised a Gospel choir to do it, but would take soo much organisation.

I think its a def for the wedding (with London Gospel Choir).

But it was one that i was heavily considering...

thanks,

Jamie

FrankHegly
November 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Just seen this thread, bless you, you're really going all out lucky girl!! As for the tear jerkers stuff, what you trying to do to the poor girl, she'll be an emotional wreck lol!!! Anyways maybe..

* Everybodys free- by quindon tarver (think thats his name) really nice song, download it see what you think, would sound good by the choir too. (its from the romeo and juliette soundtrack)

I will download it as soon as I can. I was actually thinking of another song from Romeo + Juliet...so will defs have to hear this one.

Big help thanks!!!!

p.s. tears of happiness would be a welcome sight
p.p.s tears of hapiness from her might distract everyones attention from my tear of happiness :)

lofter1
November 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
I would have loved to have organised a Gospel choir to do it, but would take soo much organisation.

Post the request here and who knows how many folks might turn up to sing for you ;)

meer
November 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
Here is the mother of all NY wedding planning websites:

http://www.nycityweddings.com/ (http://www.nycityweddings.com/planning/wedding_songs/)

And here is the page with tons of song suggestions:

http://www.nycityweddings.com/planning/wedding_songs/

You can even hear a clip of the song if you want and get the lyrics.

Off the top of my head:

At Last - Etta James
By Your Side - Sade
Nearness of You - Norah Jones (this was our first dance song)

My proposal was also in the city, Central Park, etc. so I'd love to help.

FrankHegly
November 23rd, 2006, 02:04 AM
Post the request here and who knows how many folks might turn up to sing for you ;)

LOL- now this i would like to see.... so how many of you can sing??

ok...let me be more specific...how many can sign in tune???

I can't, i am absolutley tone deaf...so no hops of me singing the Chorus... but it would be great if it were possible.... :)

FrankHegly
November 23rd, 2006, 02:07 AM
I will have a look at it.

Everyone is so helpful..its really touching...I guess Americans are just extra friednly... rivaling the Swiss *

* Was carrying a huge table back from Ikea with my gf...a man stops puts it in his van and drives me home- how nice was that :)

Schadenfrau
November 23rd, 2006, 02:16 AM
"God Only Knows," by the Beach Boys.

FrankHegly
November 24th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Can anyone suggest a good restraunt for New Years eve.

Ideally looking for something which has some kind of party (running until midnight) with set meal.

Would like it to either overlook Times Square or New York Harbour (where apparently there is fireworks?).

Do not want to spend too much, around $150 per person
There cannot be an age restriction of 21 as my gf is only 20
Would rather it be more party than romantic as we will be going to One if by land the next day and would want some kind of contrast
No bothered by dress code willing to go casual or formalI know the above looks like a huge list of demands but i thought i would try and be specific so as to not waste anyones time.

Any ideas will be happily recieved!!!

Thanks,

Jamie

FrankHegly
November 26th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Me and my gf were also interested in going to Boston for the day- how would you guys suggest doing it. I have seen some tours and was wondering if there were any operators people would suggest.. or should i catch a train instead...or even a plane???

Thanks

lofter1
November 26th, 2006, 06:50 PM
The train is a pretty long trip ... round-trip in one day and you'd be fairly exhausted by the time of return to NYC (although you could sleep on the train).

And if you're thinking of going around X-Mas you should make a reservation in advance ...

Driving I wouldn't suggest -- weather can be unseasonable and in cases add hours to the trip. Plus if you've never driven that route before then who knows where you might end up (although the woods of New Hampshire can be beautiful that time of year ;) ).

Schadenfrau
November 26th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I don't see the point in spending 8 hours of travel time on a day trip.

FrankHegly
November 27th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Ok fair points 8 hours is going to be hell (considering a few days later I have to travel back to Switzerland- via a 7-8 hour plane to London :( )

Perhaps I could stay over for the night in Boston... well thanks for the food for thought

any ideas on New Year???

FrankHegly
November 30th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Hey guys

BIG problem. I just treid to book one if by land for 1st of Jan and it is closed. The river cafe is open.... should i book here or should i change the proposal to the 2nd when one if by land re-opens.

I have never been to either but just want the most romantic one.....

Any ideas??

p.s. lofter1 & schadenfrau- took your advise and have booked into a hotel for a night in Boston so its only 4 hours travel a day..Thanks for the good advise.

media35
November 30th, 2006, 01:12 PM
The Jan 1 date is way cooler than Jan 2, and that's what you are really going to remember years from now-- and it will make it easier for everyone to remember the anniversary of the engagement--including you--tho' I doubt with all the effort you are putting in to this you would forget.

FrankHegly
December 1st, 2006, 01:39 AM
The Jan 1 date is way cooler than Jan 2, and that's what you are really going to remember years from now-- and it will make it easier for everyone to remember the anniversary of the engagement--including you--tho' I doubt with all the effort you are putting in to this you would forget.

Thanks I had not given that much thought when trying to weigh up the odds but its true.... I had wanted it to be on New Years day as it seems like more of a nice start to the Year. Thanks a lot, it has put my heart at ease.

jshortston
December 1st, 2006, 10:31 AM
Hey FrankHegly,

Was just looking on the web for marriage proposal ideas and stumbled over your thread and noticed quite a few coincidences:-

My Name is also Jamie
My GF is also 20
I am also from the UK
I am also hoping to propose to my GF in NYC over the new year period
I have had similar thoughts to some of your ideas
I am also having worries/conflicts of how to lead up to the day (im sure everyone does!)Soo.. thought id drop a line for moral support both for you and myself and to also ask everyone for help/feedback on my proposal!!

After reading all the trouble you've gone to and the similar circumstances I will definitely be trying to get down to the rockefeller centre to witness the event and congratulate you both!

Firstly, I guess mainly for the ladies, here's the ring i've chosen... am wondering what you guys think? My GF has mentioned she likes rings that are slightly different to the norm, however, i'm still scared i've got the wrong thing!! It probably fails in comparison to FrankHegley's (lucky girl) ring but i'll be very thankful for any feedback you have!!
http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/image/Signet/4711386?$detail475$

Secondly, i haven't fully worked out how i'm going to 'pop the question' or how im going to lead upto it, however, my GF and I have been to NYC before and it is our favourite place in the world. I'm thinking of doing some secret squirrel work to find out her most favourite part/sight/shop/whatever of NYC so I could pop the question there, kind of impromptu, walk past and say wow isn't that your fav place, walk over to there and then BAM! I'm thinking that all the elaborate celebrations, treats and stuff can come after asking her to marry me... assuming she says yes of course!?

Anyways, enough ramble from me, please let me know what you think!! If you guys have any ideas i'll be very greatful!

Thanks,

J

P.S Look forward to hearing from you frankhegly!!!

FrankHegly
December 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Hey FrankHegly,

Was just looking on the web for marriage proposal ideas and stumbled over your thread and noticed quite a few coincidences:-

My Name is also Jamie
My GF is also 20
I am also from the UK
I am also hoping to propose to my GF in NYC over the new year period
I have had similar thoughts to some of your ideas
I am also having worries/conflicts of how to lead up to the day (im sure everyone does!)P.S Look forward to hearing from you frankhegly!!!

Wow that is one hell of a coinsidence...you have to intoduce youreself to me!

Hey I would love to help out if you need anything planning, and need someone to set stuff up for you etc.... just ask.

i really like the ring, I considered getting something similar myself and even now question whether I go the right thing (yet another coinsidence!)

As for places to pop the question... how about the top of the rock (Rockafeller Center) It has a lift going up at around 9PM on New Years Eve which would be cool and Romantic. Plus I don't think it would be too busy (I already contacting the Rockefeller Center and they said it would be dead!) So you could do that.

Otherwise if you were not doing it on new years eve you could go up on the last lift which is near midnight and propose then... i think that is Romantic, and since NY is your fav place in the world what better place to see it from (so I hear). Anyway just a thought... since we seemed to share so many of the same thoughts i figure perhaps my alternative proposal spot would be fitting??

Like I said if I am free to help out I am more than happy,

whether its posing as a Photographer and then you getting down one one knee....

or...

Posing as one of those guys who goes around selling Roses and it jsut so happens the Rose I sell you has a diamond ring in it...

Anything just ask :)

jshortston
December 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Wow that is one hell of a coinsidence...you have to intoduce youreself to me!

Hey Frank,

thanks for getting back to me! Yes, it is one hell of a coincidence! Did i also read in the thread that your gf's name is also Jade??? If so that's another coincidence or im just cracking up and dreamt i read it somewhere! haha. All the coincidences kind of cemented to me that it is fate that I should be proposing in NYC this (or should i say next) year!;)

Have you received the ring now? As soon as you have received it im sure you'll know that you have made the right choice, one i'd got the ring for my gf it all seemed perfect!

I did some digging over the weekend (secretly) and found out that my girlfriends favourite place in NYC was times square... so on the back of that i found this:-

http://www4.toysrus.com/TimesSquare/popups/dsp_marquee_moment.cfm

I was thinking maybe on the day, while she is in the bath, i can sneak out from our hotel (say im getting a paper or something) - millenium broadway so right near times square - run down to toys r us and have the picture taken. Was thinking maybe me down on one knee with the ring or something like that?? Arrange what time it will be shown on the screen and then get to times square for that time, then when the picture appears on the screen i will drop down on one knee behind my girlfriend so that when she turns back around i am doing the same thing right infront of her in real life?? Hopefully she'll then say yes and then the celebrations begin!!!

Needless to say i wouldn't be doing this on NYE, i was thinking about it but there'll be far too many people around on NYE and i wont be able to do it properly. Was thinking new years day, same as you so that it all leads up to the big event (not that she knows! haha)

I'm still undecided though so if i need a 'hand' with what i finally decide then of course i'll drop you a line, same if you need any help from me just let me know!!!

Just need to plan what else to do around the times now..

We skated on woolman rink last time we was there and that was lovely but i think we might try rockefeller this time, just for diff. Maybe we could go skating there on the night you do the deed so when we get kicked off and you're left on the ice i know it's you and can take some pics/film for you!?

As for other plans... no idea. The new york trip is also a surprise for my GF as chrimbo present so maybe we can plan together once she knows we're going (i've bought her a guide book as a hint to wrap up!)

Oh well, have other questions to ask so best go post somewhere else (am big basketball fan but know the knicks are out of town, dammit.)... speak to you soon!

FrankHegly
December 5th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I think its an amazing idea- since TSQ is her fav place the lights etc must be the draw so I don't think you could do it any better.

You had better check for opening hours on new Years day as you will most likley be restricted by the opening hours 10-4pm (?).

Also be aware the it will be insanley busy if it is open on Jan 1st due to the sales, so take this into consideration.... perhaps you will need to think of something that will excuse you for longer than getting a paper.

Perhaps you could pre-organise it in advance with them. You had also best find out that they are still doing this on jan 1st just incase.

p.s. Cheer would love a photo if possible

p.p.s let me know if you want a photo or perhaps some roses etc given to her after the proposal.

FrankHegly
December 11th, 2006, 09:44 AM
picture?

Here is a picture of the top for anyone who is interested.

Specs of the diamond are:
Colour D
Clarifty: IF
Very Good Cut
Very Good Symetry
.75 ct

The band is polished Platinum

It is set in a rub-over mod with a cut out of a heart on either side (I have a pic if anyone is interested)

There is also a small pink diamond on the outside at the bottom (Also have a pic)

Now i am even more nervous than ever...............

MrSpice
December 11th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Hey guys

BIG problem. I just treid to book one if by land for 1st of Jan and it is closed. The river cafe is open.... should i book here or should i change the proposal to the 2nd when one if by land re-opens.

I have never been to either but just want the most romantic one.....

Any ideas??

p.s. lofter1 & schadenfrau- took your advise and have booked into a hotel for a night in Boston so its only 4 hours travel a day..Thanks for the good advise.

I would suggest proposing at home - cheap and sweet :) Are you one of those hopeless romantics?

FrankHegly
December 11th, 2006, 12:16 PM
In response to your question MRspice: Quite simply YES :D .

As for proposing at home its not really an option since we both live and work in Switzlerland (our appartment is a temporary arrangment and not the most romantic of places). Our main home is in York, England but it is being rented out since we are not using it.

Besides.... I can't imagine a more romantic backdrop than the Rockefeller Ice Rink in the centre of NYC on New Years day... :) Hopfully there will be snow!!....what are my chances of getting snow then....... is it cold there yet by normal standards?..it was -12 C here yesterday..Brrrr

I decided to book the River Cafe as it look just as good as One if By and has a better backdrop view.

MrSpice
December 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM
In response to your question MRspice: Quite simply YES :D .

As for proposing at home its not really an option since we both live and work in Switzlerland (our appartment is a temporary arrangment and not the most romantic of places). Our main home is in York, England but it is being rented out since we are not using it.

I always thought that the Swiss Alps are quite romantic. Good luck, anyway :)

FrankHegly
December 11th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Yes...I did have this thought...but New York wins for a few reasons...

Not as weather dependant (It nice to see her when I am proposing not a load of mountain fog)

Not as cold....Brrr..... -35c on top of the Alps..need I say more :eek:

Thanks for wishing me luck...hofully I will not need it ;)

Sahnjit
December 12th, 2006, 02:20 AM
[quote=FrankHegly;135258]
Specs of the diamond are:
Colour D
Clarifty: IF
Very Good Cut
Very Good Symetry
.75 ct

The band is polished Platinum

quote]

Nice...Expensive....:eek:

Gunslinger
December 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Hi Jaime/Frank

Just a quick suggestion regarding song:
Realise this may not be everyone's cup of tea but I'd go for "The way you look tonight" by Tony Bennett

Fantastically romantic; talks about the guy spending his whole life with his perfect woman

Good luck and let us know what you decide

ManhattanKnight
December 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I decided to book the River Cafe as it look just as good as One if By and has a better backdrop view.

Definitely a better choice, in my opinion, both for food and views. The view from River Cafe includes several tallish buildings on the Manhattan shore near the South Street Seaport, one of which, in a story recently aired on CBS TV over here, a young man used as a background for a dramatic marriage proposal that he planned to make on the Brooklyn Bridge. Sadly, his lifeless body was found on the bridge before his sweetheart appeared on the scene. So, it might be prudent for you not to be carrying anything that could be impaled in your chest when your big day arrives.

FrankHegly
December 12th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Sadly, his lifeless body was found on the bridge before his sweetheart appeared on the scene. So, it might be prudent for you not to be carrying anything that could be impaled in your chest when your big day arrives.

Lol...ok I will take it into consideration when getting dressed..:D

Oh and thanks for supporting the River Cafe choice too... i am actually ahppier about it now than i was about the prospect of One if By.. I was really geared towards to Piano...but then when i called the River Cafe I was told that they have a live piano player every night... Phew..:rolleyes:

FrankHegly
December 15th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Hey everone.... just to remind anyone who is interested the proposal is on:

January 1st 10pm (Skating session 8:30-10) at the Rockefeller Ice Rink

If anyone is has a camera with them please post them here I would love to see them.

Thanks,

Jamie

p.s Anyone who's helped, I would love to thank you in person so please just ntroduce yourself to me :)

jshortston
December 15th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Hey everone.... just to remind anyone who is interested the proposal is on:

January 1st 10pm (Skating session 8:30-10) at the Rockefeller Ice Rink

If anyone is has a camera with them please post them here I would love to see them.

Hi Jamie, just read the update on your itenery after your reply to my TS question, lovely ring by the way - lucky girl!! I'll defo be coming down to the rockefeller rink to wish you all the best and watch the proceedings! I'll also have my video camera and stills camera with me the whole time so im sure i can catch some footage for you!!

Not too sure how im going to do things yet, definitely times square as it's my GF's fav part of NYC but not sure on the toys r us screen message yet, still trying to decide. I am thinking of maybe using your proposal as a "prop" for mine, watch yours happen and then say aww that was lovely imagine that (so she'll never suspect anything) then when we get back to times square.... Although still undecided. best get a plan soon though, not long now!!!

Cheers,

Jamie

ManhattanKnight
December 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Your destination (live Tree/Skating Rink cam):

http://www.wnbc.com/videostream/5822261/detail.html

FrankHegly
December 23rd, 2006, 05:41 AM
thnaks.......... now i can send the link to family...if i hit the right spot ppl could see me propose...

p.s. thanks jamie, would love some stills and or video

Punzie
December 23rd, 2006, 06:17 AM
Firstly, I guess mainly for the ladies, here's the ring i've chosen... am wondering what you guys think? My GF has mentioned she likes rings that are slightly different to the norm, however, i'm still scared i've got the wrong thing!! It probably fails in comparison to FrankHegley's (lucky girl) ring but i'll be very thankful for any feedback you have!!
http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/image/Signet/4711386.jpghttp://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/image/Signet/4711386?$detail475$

Are you sure you want our opinions of this ring? You've already bought it and you can't do anything about it, no?

meer
January 5th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Did she say yes? She better have, after all this work.

FrankHegly
January 7th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Did she say yes? She better have, after all this work.

Just a quick note to say that she accepted (Yay!!!! :D ). I have had no internet access until now and am just about to catch a plane back to Switzerland but when I get back I will write a full account of the day - Its the least I could do for all the help I got off you guys.

Really got to run, but just wanted to let you know the answer will write the update tonight.

:)

meer
January 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Congratulations! :)

FrankHegly
January 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM
:rolleyes:Well what can I say I have the best trip of my life...ever :D

It was perfect from start to finish and I have all of you guys to thanks. So thanks you sooo soo much. I could not have done this trip without you all. I felt like such a pro with all the advise I had recieved and was able to do everything I had planned without any problems.

For those of you who have been following this from the beginning you know that I am an utter perfectionist and wanted this to be well planned and to a degree over the top, and with your help I did it. It all worked like clockwork, and my new Fiancé was more than impressed with everything- and I owe it all to you guy's.

Special Thanks To (Not in any order of importance :) ):

ManhattanKnight - Great advise for entering via the walkway opposite Sak's was beautiful

Meer - Great route suggestion. We did it and loved it!

lofter1- For always giving sound advise- and for being so reassuringly optimistic.... but I never managed to find a footlong hotdog :(

Schadenfrau- For keeping my feet on the ground (and out of jail). I used God Only Knows as the second song as a tribute to your help

Millenicab- Saved all our receipts

LOVE-NYC - What can I say, I owe the venue to you. Without your input I would have never gotten to the Rockefeller Ice Rink. I will be eternally greatful!!!

Please don't be offended if I missed your name out I was naming the ones that sprang to mind. Also if I listed everyone it would not count as special thanks ;)

Anyway the section below is only for anyone who wants to know how the trip went from day to day. So just thought I would add a disclaimer to avoid boring you with my holiday

Day 1
Arrived at JFK and got a Limo to the hotel. I would recommend a Limo to anyone after an 8 hour flight- go for a long one and stretch out
The we went to Serendipity. I have to say the service was excellent and so was the food. There were people sat opposite who we overheard saying they had been waiting 4 hours to get in. I think if anyone waits that long its obviously going to raise excpectations.... I don't think I would wait 4 hours to eat anywhere. So I would advise making a reservation.

Day 2
Went to Madame Taussaudes - Worth a visit, acctually quite scary walking up to them, the eye's just seem to follow you.
Then went to Planet Hollywood- again loved the food and service (I guess I am easily pleased by locals standards ;) )
I could not belive there were crazed people already waiting for the ball to drop, with 12 hours to go. Some of them had small children which I thought was quite mean.
Later on I went to SAPA for dinner. It was really nice food (Would recomend the ribs Mmmmmm). The restraunt was really hip and trendy and the service was great.
I later tried to get near times square but the streets were closed and I could not be bothered after being directed from block to block.
Later on I went to the Ritz in Battery park for views of the fireworks over the statue of liberty. This was the most dissapointing time of the whole trip.

I wouldn't recomend any events here- ever.
Service was rubish AKA no existant.
The fireworks were really poor by swiss standards :( - perhaps I just have high excpectations- did anyone esle go and see them and have a different opinion?
Was full of rich foreigners, the only Americas were golddiggers looking to bag a rich foreigner. Someone made a move on me just seconds after my gf (was not my Fiancé then :) ) went to the bathroom. This was awful- spare yourself and don't go there ever.... its also more like a 4 than 5 star in terms of the decor.

Day 3
I was almost in tears when I woke up on the BIG days to see rain. I had to cancel most of the activities I had planned such as Central Park, and when I visited the rink it was closed...Arggghhh!!!
The rain began to ease later on in the day- as did the stress.
We went to the River Cafe, 5* food and service and an amazing view.

Then we arrived in the Rockefeller Center. I was pleased to see no puddles on the rink. Towards the end some fool decided to propose and everyone started clapping, I managed to hide it from my gf, and said someone fell over and distracted her long enough for the crowd to stop clapping. I would have been so annoyed had she have seen it because then 10 mins latter I would have proposed and looked like a complete sheep. Anyway I covered it up. Although I was happy for them, it had almost ruined the most special moment I had ever planned.

Anyway when the session came to an end they asked everyone to leave the ice. People were not listening and the staff worked well to clear the ice. I told my gf that I wanted us to be the last to on the Ice which bought me some time, then the music started playing. I said to her that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, and she she said she wanted the same. I told her I would only be able to do that if she would do one thing. She asked what that was...I got down on one knee and said "Say yes... will you marry me?"

She said yes !!!!!!! We did a little lap, almost fell- lol

Day 4

I decided to treat my fiancé to a shopping trip, after a nice horse and carridge trip and walk around central park.

We did most the shops on 5th Avenue...... im so broke now :D -LOL

Day 5

Went to Boston- Which was very pretty and was a nice break form the city which was quite overpoweringly big (A culture shock, even though I go to London quite often)

Day 6

Came back to New York, and thanks to some sound adivse from this forum got some tickets for MSG New York Rangers match. Thuis was a good experience and I would recomend it to anyone, the only problem was that people kept walking past with footlong hotdogs...which I could never find :mad:

It was the most perfect trip......So again Thank you, I will be back.

NYatKNIGHT
January 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Ah, happy endings. Congratulations to you and your fiancee, and a round of applause for the WNY advisors on yet another successful proposal.

Schadenfrau
January 9th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Congratulations, FrankHegly. New Year's Eve celebrations are almost always overpriced and underfun.

Where else did you eat while you were here? Which neighborhoods did you enjoy the most?

Luca
January 10th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Congrats Frank !!! Ever the meticulous Swisssie... :rolleyes:

Reading your message and the thank-yous really adae me realize what a very real community this forum is. Don't be a stranger now...

...I bet some of the posters you mentioned are already 'planning' your WEDDING :D :D

FrankHegly
January 10th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Thanks.

The places I ate were as follows:

Restraunts:

SAPA - Very interesting fusion food

Planet Hollywood- Fun

Serendipity- Found it to be quite cute and funky. Kind of decorated like a mix between a 50's hotel and a strange kids bedroom...but I liked it. Having siad this I went near christmas so perhaps some of the decorations were still up-i couldn't tell... the food was great though.

River Café - Perfect

Random Indian- Can't remember the name, food was good but not correctly named.

Ritz-Carlton Battery Park- Grrr :mad: . Well the food was quite nice to be fair, just bad service.

Take-Away's:

Ok if you are wondering why I went to a few fast-food outlets it was because the menu's were different and I always like to try the different things. In fact I found the menu's very different. For example your Mc Donalds breakfast menu has something that looks like a scone with a sausage burger in the middle :eek: ..... What is that!!! Personally I could not stomach it as it was too early for cake, but the menu's and food were actually quite an interesting experience (See Below):

KFC - Completley different, I prefer the UK version. We only have one type of coating and it tastes different. Though maybe I just like transfats ?? :rolleyes:

Mc Donalds - Loads cheaper than in the UK....and compared to Swiss prices it was crazy....its like half the price. We have nicer fries...again fransfats... does anyone notice a different in the taste??

Roy Rogers- I had a chocolate brownie...and it was guuuud.

Hot Dog Stands - Mmmmmmmm. @ $2 its a bargain, I only get stupid Bratwurst (Veal..a.k.a. baby cow :confused: ) with a slice of bread here in snowy Switzerland...its like a DIY hotdog...except the bread is chewy and too small... oh and costs 3 times as much. I hope you guy's dont take your hotdogs for granted.

NYC Pizza- I did not have one myself but my Fiance (:) ) liked it very much.

Also a grilled chicken place

When I was in Boston I also visited a supermarket, you have such nice food. Seriously never visit Switzerland for long lengths of time... you will starve (Though the chocolate is good).

Which neighborhoods I liked

When I was there I stayed in 3 different hotels to try and see as much of NY as possible (I would recomend this to anyone wanting to see as much as possible)

I stayed downtown in the Millenium Hilton opposite the WTC
Times Square area @ Westin
East Side at the Bentley

In terms of hotel location Westin was the best... as it was quite central and easy to get to most things. I would recomend anyone to stay in the center as it cuts down on taxi fares...

Downtown also had its advantages. Its near things that you want to see but would not go out of your way to visit if you were staying far away. Things like Wall's St, NYSE, Statue of Liberty (Though I think a lot of people would make this visit anyway) China Town, WTC, The bull (The big metal one with crowds of tourists riding it, having their picture taken), ferries, chopper rides... oh and Brooklyn Bridge. Basically, these are all things that are well worth a visit but might get missed out if you stay uptown and spend all your time visiting big attractions that take up half a day. All of the things listed above, I saw just going about my daily business, so apart from the Statue of Liberty there was no need to make an effort to visit them. There is also Century 21 which is good for shopping...if you dont mind sorting through it all.. personally it was a little too clutered for me, but it was good in terms of price...and more in line with the Brit tourists excpectations for cheap transatlantic shopping (Which honstley does not exist on 5th Avenue :p ).

East Side, was more residential and quite pretty. But also quite inconvenient as there were less Subway stations and lines this way. I wouldn't stay in the East Side again as it wastes a lot of time walking, and its not quite as interesting as walking in Times Square or amond the high rises in down town.

I also visited China town.. like most other China towns, slightly more run down though... but perhaps I didn't see the main part.

Brooklyn- Brooklyn mad me sad. There were so many pretty buildings run down. I love traditional architecture and it pained me to see such neglect as I passed through. I am sure this only applies to some part of Brooklyn, and I did pass though some very nice parts. It was just a shame to see bad areas with nice buildings. In the UK you generally just get all the bad areas contained in concrete, pebbledash cladded housing estates - Not pretty. But Brooklyn had some of the most rich and fasinating buildings... I hope someone buys them and renovates them. In Switzerland you don't really get bad areas...just ugly buildings- LOL :D

I missed out on SOHO...which I would have liked to see :(

So my advise to anyone planning on going to New York would be:

Stay 50% downtown
50% around times square

This way you fit a lot more in.

FrankHegly
January 12th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Congrats Frank !!! Ever the meticulous Swisssie... :rolleyes:

Reading your message and the thank-yous really adae me realize what a very real community this forum is. Don't be a stranger now...

...I bet some of the posters you mentioned are already 'planning' your WEDDING :D :D

I would love a NYC wedding.... but travel costs would end up being a little too high. Looking around London... but don't like the carpets in some places.. im just way to fussy lol.

So if anyone knows of a nice Mansion, with nice grounds... landscaped gardens...nice food...music...around Surrey/Berkshire....prefs no 60's floral carpet-lol