PDA

View Full Version : Seeking your feelings about sreet photography

Alain D
August 30th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Lately, I discovered street photography and I am simply under the spell!
I love the people, I enjoy everyone of our differences, and I am fascinated to just watch the way we are, as a collective.
But after bringing the topic up with a few people, I realised that most were quite uncomfortable with the idea.
So i decided to call on a broader audience : what are your feelings toward street photography?

Thanks everyone.

MrSpice
August 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Lately, I discovered street photography and I am simply under the spell!
I love the people, I enjoy everyone of our differences, and I am fascinated to just watch the way we are, as a collective.
But after bringing the topic up with a few people, I realised that most were quite uncomfortable with the idea.
So i decided to call on a broader audience : what are your feelings toward street photography?

Thanks everyone.

I don't care much about it. In New York, there are hundreds of "street" phorographers everywhere (a.k.a. tourists).

ryan
August 30th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Well that's a grumpy reply. I'm all for street photography unless it's crosses an ethical line to exploitation (depends on the power/class relationship between the subject and photographer, and the end use of the photos)

Alain D
August 31st, 2006, 06:17 PM
Thank you MrSpice, thank you ryan.
Both answers are interesting.

Tourists pictures are one thing, you show them to friends and relatives; Street pictures get a larger audience.
That brings in the ethical matter, of course. I personnaly would reject any shot that wouldn't do justice to anyone. I would also respect some private life (like the hummm places people go, and the hummm things they do). And I understand how strechy this conception is.
My question was more about : "Everybody now knows I've been on Time Square wearing that stupid shirt" kind of reaction.

MrSpice
August 31st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Thank you MrSpice, thank you ryan.
Both answers are interesting.

Tourists pictures are one thing, you show them to friends and relatives; Street pictures get a larger audience.
That brings in the ethical matter, of course. I personnaly would reject any shot that wouldn't do justice to anyone. I would also respect some private life (like the hummm places people go, and the hummm things they do). And I understand how strechy this conception is.
My question was more about : "Everybody now knows I've been on Time Square wearing that stupid shirt" kind of reaction.

To clarify my answer - I don't think most New Yorkers are very sensitive about this and would not care whether you make a picture of them or now. Announce that you're a world famous photographer and want to make some pictures and people will line up hoping that you will make their picture.