PDA

View Full Version : View plane landings??

rex_3750
September 3rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
I went to Planeview Park (makes sense) on Ditmars Blvd at around 85th street to watch planes fly directly overhead to land. Now when i got there, the planes were coming in from the another direction. It looked like you could see them if you were in College Point somewhere. So im wondering, if anyone knows if they still can see the planes come in on Ditmars. Is it because of the US Open going on that they are were coming in from another location.

So if someone can help me with:
Do they still come in over the park at Ditmars? and Where else can you view them land?

TipsyMcStagger
September 4th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Hi Rex...the direction of departures and arrivals is based on prevailing winds. Aircraft typically takeoff and land into the wind, although due to noise abatement procedures at many airports (such as LGA) landings are sometimes conducted with as much as 10 knots of tailwind component.

LGA is constructed on a relatively small parcel of landfill and was designed with an intersecting runway configuration. This is far from optimal because aircraft roll through the intersection of the other runway, thus creating a traffic conflict.

LGA is about as proficient as you can get at this type of operation. The normal configuration is to land on one runway while departing another. On extremely windy days, or days when one runway is closed for scheduled construction, intersecting operations are not possible and all operations (takeoffs and landings) must be consolidated to a single runway. This significantly slows the flow of traffic in and out of the airport.

Common configurations (based on specific wind conditions) are to land on runway 22 while departing on runway 13, land on runway 4 while departing on runway 31, land on runway 31 while departing on 4, and land on 22 while departing 31. Departures are seldom conducted from runway 22 and landings are seldom conducted on runway 13.

Hope this helps some.

Tipsy

ManhattanKnight
September 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM
LGA:

http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/8311/lgasw5.jpg

CMANDALA
September 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Our goal is to provide our members with the tools necessary to make New York City a mecca for aviation enthusiasm. NYCAviation.com's debut on July 6, 2004 marked the unveiling of a pioneer in aviation enthusiasm websites. At that time, it was no secret that New York was one of the most popular destinations for spotters, photographers, and tourists alike. Now, those tool are available.

http://nycaviation.com/

Phil D.
September 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM
As replied to earlier, runway usage changes as per the weather conditions demand.

Although, one change that you will see during the US Open is the departure route for runway 13 departures (the runway that goes in the direction of downtown Flushing).

Normally, the planes that depart on that runway (whose heading is 130 degrees, hence the "13" runway designation, which is how those numbers are assigned), are to turn right to heading 180 (directly south) and proceed about another mile or so, and then make a big left turn as they climb. However, during the US Open, so to not drown out the event with noise, aircraft will either depart straight out instead of making that southern turn, or they'll make their left turn early to veer away.

As for Planeview Park, it's a really fun place for watching planes. Ideally, you want to visit the park when they are using runway 4 to land, or runway 22 to depart. There are several ways of finding out, but I don't want to blab too much in this thread. lol

Here's a photo that was taken of some aviation enthusiasts enjoying the Plane"view" there, taken by my friend Tom Alfano.

http://images1.jetphotos.net/images/d/dal767BandJ.jpg.69442.jpg.thumb (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=540034)

If you have any other questions, feel free to join the message board on the site linked to above. I happen to run that site, and it is very similar to this one in terms of having a local passion.