PDA

View Full Version : BBG in the winter

tonypolony
September 6th, 2006, 04:09 AM
We are expecting to not only get warm but see some splendid plants etc at the Botanical Gardens but am not sure if there worth the visit in December. Anyone think it should be on our list of "must visit"

FrankHegly
September 6th, 2006, 05:09 AM
it depends on the purpose of the visit.

I always think it is best to do things in sync. It might be weird going to the botanical gardens straights after somthing energetic like a party.

Perhaps if you are going to CP then it might tie in (but dont get to many of the same thing in or it might be too similar and get tiresome)....unless you really like plants.

tonypolony
September 8th, 2006, 04:46 AM
After several days of coping with early nights/ early mornings( time difference) and the rush of shopping and visiting various xmas displays I was looking for somewhere we could go to just chill out for a morning, perhaps BBG then a leisurely trip to Coney Island to walk along the front to unwind ready for another day of Manhatten. I cannot picture Coney Island, my mind just sees Brighton Pier in England on a cold winter day, now that is very relaxing.
We are from another continent so please be patient with me.
Thanks for the help and keep it up.

ZippyTheChimp
September 8th, 2006, 05:40 AM
BBG is much smaller than the sprawling NY Botanical Garden, so easier to take in. There is a climate-controlled conservatory. The centerpiece of the garden is the Japanese Hill and Pond, although I've never seen it in winter.

There is a quiet, stark beauty to a beach in winter, but Coney Island remains a summer place. The decline from its pinnacle a century ago may finally be reversed, after decades of false starts.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3055&page=18

An icon of its former glory, the Parachute Jump (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3463&highlight=parachute), has recently been renovated. The New York Aquarium is open all year.