PDA

View Full Version : How can i avoid NY car insurance?

WinStreak
September 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
If i am moving from Texas to NY but still have parents in Texas....can i avoid NY car insurace prices by just leaving my current car insurance provider? I will be living in NY but renting from a cousin. I figure I could just keep my insurance as is since my parents have all our car insurance together and i could just pay them my share. Is this even legal?

Schadenfrau
September 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Where will you be living?

WinStreak
September 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
well im a consultant so technically ill be all over the place. i'll be renting from relatives in Queens so i guess my mail will be sent there. the company is located in Oregon and there are no other offices besides the one in Oregon so im thinking if i do a direct deposit to my bank in texas then i would be ok.

ryan
September 6th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I used my parent's upstate address for a while with no problem, though it is illegal (insurance fraud) and you might run into trouble if you ever filed a claim. I got a lot of quotes and found that Geico only charges $50 more a year for me. Insurance rates have a lot to do with your car (as quotes for hondas are quite scary), so shop around. I don't think it's worth it.

I've heard of people with out-of-state plates getting tickets - you will have the same meter maid checking your street a couple times a week...

lofter1
September 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM
techinically you've got x-number of months (not sure the exact number) to switch to your legal residential address once you relocate to NYC --

Insurance companies look at it the same way as the IRS -- each person has only ONE primary residency.

ryan
September 6th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I want to say it's 60 days per the NYS DMV. (but google knows better than I.)

WinStreak
September 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
thanks for all the replies...i can see the meter maid being my main problem because i know i can easily have the direct deposit checks to my bank account in texas. plus i'll be rent from relatives so im sure they probably wont be filing the money as extra income. i'll have to look into it more i guess with the insurance companies. thanks again.