PDA

View Full Version : Should America allow topless sunbathing?

MikeKruger
September 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM
It doesn't seem to hurt anyone in Europe.

ryan
September 7th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Women are legal to go topless in NYS. Not sure about NYC, but i certaintly see a lot of breasts during halloween and gay pride...

MikeKruger
September 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM
yes, but those events bear(or bare) some erotic connotations.
Same with flashing during Spring Break or Mardi Grass.
I thought only around Miami was topless sunbathing allowed.

Punzie
June 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM
With the summer coming, I thought I'd... umm... bump up this topic.

The politically correct term is now "topfree". (I don't care about political correctness, just thought you'd want to know the term.)

Females are allowed to bathe topfree at beaches in New York State. Beaches owned by the federal government or localities may have more restrictive laws.

More globally, Wikipedia has a good overview of the "Topfree Movement":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topfree

Luca
June 5th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I can't imagine why anyone without some sort of serious psychologicl issues would want to proscribe the nAtural state of nudity.

me, I like clothes. But tht's MY choice.

Toplessness seems to work fine in Europe.

Schadenfrau
June 5th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Going topless is legal here- people just don't want to do it so much.

Punzie
June 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM
I can't imagine why anyone without some sort of serious psychologicl issues would want to proscribe the nAtural state of nudity.
I bolded your text, Luca, because you hit the nail on the head:
~ SERIOUS PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES ~

Punzie
June 5th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Going topless is legal here- people just don't want to do it so much.Agreed-

Luca, Americans are becoming increasingly educated to the risk of skin cancer via prolonged sun exposure -- are Europeans becoming more concerned about cancer? Also, so many gawkers are getting kooky with their cell phone cameras -- is this as much of a problem where you are?

Before cell phone cameras, and before I became concerned about skin cancer, there was something else: I've always found it more physically comfortable to wear swimsuit tops, (and bras, too).

Luca
June 6th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Agreed-

Luca, Americans are becoming increasingly educated to the risk of skin cancer via prolonged sun exposure -- are Europeans becoming more concerned about cancer? Also, so many gawkers are getting kooky with their cell phone cameras -- is this as much of a problem where you are?

Before cell phone cameras, and before I became concerned about skin cancer, there was something else: I've always found it more physically comfortable to wear swimsuit tops, (and bras, too).

Oh, sure. I've nothign against people choosing to cover up, of course. Just talking about whether it should be allowed or not. People in Northern Europe are indeed lectured to about skin cnacer risk but generlly 'health scares' tend to be taken with a much larger pinch of salt here in Europe.

kliq6
June 6th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Go to Miami, its done there, its up to the state/city

MidtownGuy
June 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM
There is a section of Riis beach, down at the end, where you can go bottomless too! So Continental, I love it. Reminds me of the nude beaches in Greece...too bad we can't do something about the color of our water...

londonlawyer
June 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM
It doesn't seem to hurt anyone in Europe.

YES!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Bojangleman
June 6th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Well, ideally the beaches would be privately owned, and the owners would be allowed to set policy regarding whether or not topless (or bottomless :D) sunbathing is to be allowed.

Meerkat
June 7th, 2007, 08:37 PM
My experience of a 'naturist' beach came about 8 years ago in Wales of all places. We didn't even realise we'd wandered onto the nude section of the beach until a naked man of about 70 jogged past. The average age appeared to be about 60+. Of course i was far to modest to join in the fun and strip off :o (although my friend did). If people are happy enough with their bodies to strip off i'm all for that, but until i get a fit, toned body i think i'll just stick to shorts / tshirt in public.

lofter1
June 7th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Everyone should be as naked as often as they want. Not that I necessarily want to see them do it :cool:

I did my first naked body surfing at Devil's Slide (http://www.sfbg.com/38/34/cover_nude_beaches.html) south of SF. Lately the road here keeps getting washed out and access down the cliffs to the beach is rather treacherous.

More time was spent at Coal Oil Point (aka Deveraux (http://www.flickr.mud.yahoo.com/photos/blakeb/368160404/)) near Isla Vista -- which was a great place to get naked and get in a mix of studying and body surfing.

And had some memorable times at Black's Beach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black's_Beach) north of San Diego -- a very popular (http://blacksbeach.org/) place.

zupermaus
July 10th, 2007, 01:50 PM
go to any urban park in Europe in the height of summer and many women will be topfree, not only on the beach. Its weird to go to London and see secretaries and office ladies lying on a concrete slab on their lunchbreak, with just an office skirt and a newspaper, then putting their clothes back on once 2 o clock is up. In Germany, Scandinavia and parts of Eastern Europe its the norm to go naked in urban parks too (and not necessarily a pretty sight, more the reserve of the older generation).

Eugenious
July 10th, 2007, 09:44 PM
go to any urban park in Europe in the height of summer and many women will be topfree, not only on the beach. Its weird to go to London and see secretaries and office ladies lying on a concrete slab on their lunchbreak, with just an office skirt and a newspaper, then putting their clothes back on once 2 o clock is up. In Germany, Scandinavia and parts of Eastern Europe its the norm to go naked in urban parks too (and not necessarily a pretty sight, more the reserve of the older generation).

No thanks. As soon as this is allowed you'll see obese and ugly disgusting woman with their chests on display. It's already atrocious to see mothers breastfeeding with both their t$$s out in a restaurant in Park Slope.

Punzie
July 10th, 2007, 10:24 PM
It's already atrocious to see mothers breastfeeding with both their t$$s out in a restaurant in Park Slope.
What are the mothers supposed to do?
Choose:

- Never go to restaurants?

- Do it in a dirty restroom, sitting on the toilet with the baby because the room has no chair?

- Leave the restaurant in the middle of the meal and do it on a bench or stoop?

- Make the baby go without milk until the meal is over?

- Pump as milk from themselves beforehand, put it in a bottle, bring it to the restaurant, and hope it doesn't spoil before the baby drinks it? (Especially prone to spoiling in the summertime.)

Eugenius, it would be so easy for you to seat yourself in another direction if you see it and don't like it.

londonlawyer
July 10th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I fully support extensive female, public nudity.

NewYorkDoc
July 11th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Eugenius, it would be so easy for you to seat yourself in another direction if you see it and don't like it.

I think it should be common courtesy of the women not to do this at a restaurant.

Punzie
July 11th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I think it should be common courtesy of the women not to do this at a restaurant.
What should a woman who breast feeds do instead? (What do you see as a workable solution?)

This question, along with the questions I asked Eugenious, are not rhetorical.

ZippyTheChimp
July 11th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Can we choose more than one?

Ninjahedge
July 11th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Does that mean that I can:

Fart at a restaurant, or do I have to hold it, do it in a dirty restroom, make the fart wait while we all eat?

Rap, I do believe that some thnigs should be looked at with a bit more tolerance, but certain biological functions should be practiced with a bit more tact and diplomacy than others.

Having your baby out to dinner at a restaurant is pretty rude to begin with. You are taking them out for your convenience, either because you want to be waited on at a restaurant, or you want to show of fthe kid to a bunch of people or both.

I know it is tough being a new parent and you want to get out, but I have never understood why so many people insist on bring a baby to places like restaurants at times when the baby should probably be sleeping, movies, and other areas that are not suited for the child.

Hell, why do both parents have to be at the supermarket with the kids yelling and screaming? I can understand mom or dad being theer alone, maybe there is noone else to look after them. But you get a cart with two screamers/yellers in the "kid extension" in the front of a shopping cart and mom and dad either doing nothing about it, or trying to, but accomplishing nothing, and you wonder why they brought the kids there when one of them could have been watching them at home.

Back to breast feeding. So you brought your baby to a restaurant, most likely because YOU wanted to go. Now your baby wants food. So in front of a bunch of other people (the worst would be if you were with guests, but lets just go to the general idea) you whip one out and let the baby start slurping.

I am sorry, while not as gross as defecating, or as lewd as fornicating, nursing is still one of those "squishy" things that most, like it or not, do not find comforting or appropriate in public, and certainly not at dinner.

Just because something is "natural" does not always make it the right thing to do.

Luca
July 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I strongly suggest that anyone who finds breastfeeding to be even remotely comparable to defecation :eek: should see a psychiatrist to address deep-seated freudian issues...:eek:

ZippyTheChimp
July 11th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I think a restaurant dress code should determine the appropriateness of at-table breastfeeding. Something like:

Jacket and tie required.
No sandals
No shorts
No tits.

At places like Pizza Hut and Applebee's, breastfeeding should be encouraged. To set the atmosphere, the staff should be top-free.

Ninjahedge
July 11th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I strongly suggest that anyone who finds breastfeeding to be even remotely comparable to defecation :eek: should see a psychiatrist to address deep-seated freudian issues...:eek:

Did you even bother reading what I said? I said it is not as gross, but both are as "natural" as breathing.

Get off your high horse and come back to reality.

eddhead
July 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM
You know, when public breast feeding first became a pseudo phenomena (or at least when I first noticed it) I was kinda put off by it too. And I would prefer that mothers be a bit more discrete than some are.

But provided a modicum of discretion is provided, (maybe off to a corner, or assure proper coverage) I am ok with it I guess. Times change, social norms change.

Ninjahedge
July 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
You know, when public breast feeding first became a pseudo phenomena (or at least when I first noticed it) I was kinda put off by it too. And I would prefer that mothers be a bit more discrete than some are.

But provided a modicum of discretion is provided, (maybe off to a corner, or assure proper coverage) I am ok with it I guess. Times change, social norms change.

That's the key.

Nudity in and of itself may be a bit more acceptable in certain situations, but I do not want people unclothed at a restaurant, church or movie theater!!!

Schadenfrau
July 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Beyond infants, have you guys noticed the trend of the public breastfeeding of children who are big enough to walk up and demand it? I do sympathize with breastfeeding mothers in many cases, but the whole thing seems like it has gone a bit too far.

In many cases, the child in question shouldn't be at a restaurant at all. If your child is too young to understand what a restaurant is and how to behave in one, you should probably hire childcare if you plan on going out in the evening. Family-style places, fine, but it's not one's God-given right to take a potentially screaming child everywhere and anywhere, at any time of the day.

And as for "dirty" bathrooms with no chairs- if people insist upon going out with an infant, it's not too difficult to track down establishments that offer restrooms with chairs. I've never seen someone in a wheelchair pitch a fit because there was no ramp, and they've probably got more of a right to. Their condition is permanent- screaming children grow up, and can relatively easily be moved elsewhere.

However, many parents seem to have become so entitled that they truly believe their rights and the immediate comfort of their children supercedes everyone's needs, no matter where they are.

I've seen plenty of good, attentive parents who don't do this, but an increasing number who do. And none of it really has anything to do with topless sunbathing.

MidtownGuy
July 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
A baby suckling at the breast of its mother is one of the most natural and lovely things I can think of in all human existence.
It doesn't need to be hidden, and comparing it to farting is just...well...I cracked up when I read that.:D
A baby being nourished by its mother, no matter where, is not profane, offensive, vulgar, or inconsiderate of anyone.:rolleyes:

Sunbathing nude should be a matter of free choice. Men do it, women should do it too if they want to. The sun on one's chest is a glorious feeling to be enjoyed by all. Breasts are breasts, we all have 'em in one size or another, let's just get over it.

Jeffreyny
July 11th, 2007, 10:28 PM

I've spent lots of time in London but have never seen any women in central London with just an office skirt and newspaper...nor have I seen lot's of shirtless men in central London come to think of it.
Nonetheless women going shirtless in central London (Hyde Park) or Midtown Manhattan (Central Park) certainly wouldn't be an issue with me. I'm not offended or scared of the human body and I don't understand those who are.

londonlawyer
July 12th, 2007, 01:10 AM
It is a crime against humanity that Salma is forced to wear a blouse. These beauties should be liberated! Could you imagine the happiness that she would create if she were allowed to walk down the street topless? I, for one, would be ecstatic!

Forcing women like Salma to cover their breasts is like forcing museums to put a shroud over their most beautiful works of art.

http://www.snapahoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/salma_hayek.jpg
http://eliwallach.tripod.com/blog/hayek.jpg
http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/salma-hayek/pictures/salma-hayek-picture-2.jpg

Excuse me. I have to get some handcream from the medicine cabinet!!!!

Ninjahedge
July 12th, 2007, 09:25 AM
MTG, I think you are missing my point.

So many people use the excuse "it's natural!!!" to validate many things they do which are not socially accepted in public.

So calling Breas Feeding "natural" and saying that it somehow deserves to be done wherever and whenever the parents decide is not a valid argument/excuse.

And I agree with Schade. Children do not give you rights over others. If you want to go to a fancy restaurant, why do you, and so many others, need to bring the kid? ESPECIALLY if the kid really gets nothing out of it?

Did babysitters become extinct?

Anyway, the "natural" argument goes to toplessness as well. There are some really disgusting things in life that are "natural", and some people's naked bodies are some of them!!!! :shock:

OmegaNYC
July 12th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hey LondonLawyer, don't forget the towel, buddy! ;)

Should America allow topless sunbathing? I really don't know. I mean European chicks are HOT! for the most part (I think it's the diet)

TimmyG
July 18th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Public nudity is allowed in most places in Vermont except for towns with local ordinances against it. Brattleboro, VT just banned nudity downtown because an out of state sex offender was wandering the streets in the buff. People can still sunbathe naked at the swimming holes though.

MikeKruger
July 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
the thing is,overall European women just look better naked than American women...because they're generally skinnier.

lofter1
July 20th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Especially skinnier than those broads from Baltimore ...

http://www.gayattitude.com/photo/p/h/pheel/20061114-146667062455a00ee8f70f.jpg

Travolta ^^^ is basically brilliant in this. So is Christopher Walken.

Everything else about it gets an A+++

MikeKruger
July 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
eeek....this thread has degenerated :)

what the US needs is less suburbia. suburbia is prone to sedentarism.

Capn_Birdseye
July 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Go to any museum or gallery, or to Rome or Florence and you'll see plenty of nakeness in the form of pictures, statues or sculptures, both male & female - there's nothing sordid or wrong about it so why the uproar because a female goes topless?
From a personal perspective, I prefer human bodies to be covered with a bit of clothing, somehow its more erotic.
As for the subtle breast-feeding of babies in public places, why not? In the cases I've seen you'd hardly notice, and you certainly couldn't see any hint of breast, so why the moral indignation at what is a natural act. Some grown-up men even like to experience breast milk from their wives. Who are we to judge?

Ninjahedge
July 30th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Some grown-up men even like to experience breast milk from their wives. Who are we to judge?

We are the people sitting next to them.

We have the right to judge.

When you live in a community, you have to realize that you do have the right to do certain things, but you have to remember thatthere ARE people around you and you should try to respect them as well.

You do not own them.

It's just common consideration.

Another uncommon commonality.

Capn_Birdseye
July 30th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Ninja, if, as happened to me recently, a woman breast feeds her baby sitting not far from me in a cafe and I don't even notice it until told, where's the problem? As I've already stated, there wasn't even a hint of breast on view, even standing on my chair on a thick phone directory, looking down on her, I could not spy any breast tissue.
Even If I had been able to see a small portion of breast it would not bother me, newspapers and magazines are full of topless girls. It may sound strange to you but breasts are a part of our natural anatomy!

I'm more offended by men wearing vests showing tattooed chests and arms together with body piercings than a nice pair of rounded breasts!

Meerkat
July 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I'm no prude by any means, but breast feeding in public in my opinion is very anti-social. Women who do this are showing very little consideration for those around them.

Ninjahedge
July 30th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Captain, do not get me started.

Chewing with your mouth open is also natural, but it does not mean it is couth.

eddhead
July 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM
how did a thread about public toplessness become a discussion about public breast feeding? I mean i get the connection and all, the former doesn't necessarily mean the latter

Ninjahedge
July 30th, 2007, 05:03 PM
how did a thread about public toplessness become a discussion about public breast feeding? I mean i get the connection and all, the former doesn't necessarily mean the latter

"They're called boobs Ed."

MidtownGuy
July 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM
There are lots of things America should allow. Being over here in Europe makes it painfully clear. I am so sad at what America has become. :(
The fact that this would even be questioned makes America look juvenile.

Capn_Birdseye
July 31st, 2007, 08:24 AM
Captain, do not get me started.

Chewing with your mouth open is also natural, but it does not mean it is couth.
What is uncouth may mean different things to different people within our pluralistic society Ninja.
I don't particularly like girls wearing low-slung jeans and cropped tops exposing large amounts of stomach fat, but hey I'm not going to get all upset about it!
I've seen far more examples of women wearing low cut tops showing far more exposed breast than any mother quietly going about the task of naturally feeding her baby.

Personally, I don't like:
- seeing fat, naked tattooed and/or pireced bodies (male or female),
wearing skimpy clothing like shorts or vests.
- obese people walking the streets devouring sandwiches or burgers
- people having loud conversations on their mobile phones in public places
- people swearing in public
- people being generally rude and abusive

But the world does not comprise of just well-mannered, thoughtful, respectful people, it includes lots of people with other values and modes of behaviour.

eddhead
July 31st, 2007, 01:21 PM
"They're called boobs Ed."

LOL
Like I said I get the connection and all but Toplessness does not necessarily equate to breast feeding (although the opposite may be true)

Ninjahedge
July 31st, 2007, 04:31 PM
I could not resist the quote.

It was just too pertinent.

MikeKruger
August 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
There are lots of things America should allow. Being over here in Europe makes it painfully clear. I am so sad at what America has become. :(
The fact that this would even be questioned makes America look juvenile.

puritan legacy hard to shake?