PDA

View Full Version : ppl who have lived in NYC AND North Jersey

nydreamer83
September 17th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Question to all of the people who moved from the city into NJ...besides the financial reasons for moving...do you feel really dettached from the city? Is the commute hard on the PATH at night? Whats the best places to live in North Jersey to have an easy commute to NYC?

MikeKruger
September 18th, 2006, 01:36 PM
that's easy:
Hoboken if you can afford it.
If not, Jersey City.

NYatKNIGHT
September 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Nice metro area communities (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7605)

MrSpice
September 19th, 2006, 11:14 AM
The main difference between NYC and New Jersey is that with the exception of Hobeken, Neew Jersey is very suburban and therefore extremely boring.

Schadenfrau
September 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Suburban? Have you ever been to Jersey City or Newark?

RandySavage
September 19th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I grew up in NJ and have lived in Hoboken before moving into the City.

You still feel connected to the City if you live in Hoboken or Jersey City-Newport. The commute by Ferry in the warmer months is an added bonus, as you will get to enjoy amazing views of the skyline and harbor on a daily basis.

If you are looking to settle down and "go suburban" (i.e. house with a backyard, little league, good public schools, etc.) there are several great towns in NJ that are still an easy (< than an hour by train, 35 minutes by car) commute: Madison, Summit, Chatham, Short Hills, Milburn, South Orange, and Maplewood, come to mind.

Further west and north, New Jersey actually has some very bucolic, rural settings: Bernardsville, Morristown, Chester, Far Hills.

While more of the state falls victim to suburban sprawl with each passing year, NJ still has a lot of beautiful towns and great surprises.

Dagrecco82
September 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Nicely put.

MrSpice
September 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Suburban? Have you ever been to Jersey City or Newark?

I don't think anyone here is considering Newark as a place to live, so there's no point in even bringing this city up. It's dirty and poor.

Jersey City is part Manhattan park Newark. It has highrises near the river and close to the path station and corporate buildings where most people live so they can be close to work. I cannot call it a city. There's no city feel there. At night, the streets are pretty much deserted and night life is very limited. And there's downtown Jersey City that is still unsafe and unappealing, although it's changing now as real estate prices are going up and old factory buildings are getting converted into condos...

Schadenfrau
September 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM
You have no way of knowing what anyone is considering, MrSpice. You should know that people on this forum do live in Newark, so check your ignorance before you start calling their hometown "dirty and poor."

MrSpice
September 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM
You have no way of knowing what anyone is considering, MrSpice. You should know that people on this forum do live in Newark, so check your ignorance before you start calling their hometown "dirty and poor."

I am just stating my impressions of the city. Any time I asked any of my work colleagues (all of them live in NJ) about Newark, the perception of that city is that it's very poor, very dirty and downright dangerous, especially at night.

The city is indeed very poor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark,_New_Jersey#Poverty_and_disinvestment

I lived in a very dirty Brooklyn neighborhood for a couple of years. Just because I lived there, does not make it any better or cleaner.

I don't see why any mperson that has a job that pays over $10/hour would decide to live in a city like Newark. This is basically the city of offices, university (Rutgers) and that's it.

Look at the crime statistics: http://newarknj.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

I am sure it got a bit better since 2004. But it seems like you're always protesting when someone mentions a poor area and calls it what it is.

MrSpice
September 19th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Good illustration of the safety issue in Newark: http://www.economist.com/images/20060819/CUS221.gif

Schadenfrau
September 19th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I'm familiar with Newark crime statistics and poverty rates. I'm not planning on moving there, but it's probably safe to say that anyone considering living there would be familiar with them, as well.

I don't "protest" you calling a poor area "what it is," but I do object to the assumption that NO ONE on WNY would ever set foot in Newark.

People live in different areas for different reasons- cost, space, commute. Some people want a quiet neighborhood near work, others would prefer a tremendous loft space outside of Manhattan. Don't assume that everyone is interested in the same things.

NYatKNIGHT
September 19th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I don't live there, but I worked occasionally in Newark for a spell a few years ago when working on the light rail they just completed. I too had heard the horror stories about Newark, but it was a perfectly fine place to work, and there were some very walkable and pleasant neighborhoods nearby. Excellent restaurants too. And some employees in our office lived in Newark because it was nearby and affordable, and in fact they liked where they lived in the adjacent Ironbound neighborhood, which is neither dirty nor poor. I for one can attest that it isn't just "offices, university (Rutgers), and that's it".

I'm not saying that the crime statistics are wrong, but they are of course an average, and not every part of that city is dirty, poor and crime ridden. Mr. Spice, you obviously don't have any first hand knowledge about Newark to determine whether people should or shouldn't even consider it as a place to live, but even worse is your determination that it's not even worth bringing it up. That's a terrible thing for people from there to read.

Ninjahedge
September 19th, 2006, 07:08 PM
The main difference between NYC and New Jersey is that with the exception of Hobeken, Neew Jersey is very suburban and therefore extremely boring.

Neew?

It all depends on where you go.

Ridgewood has a great duck pond for a park/recreation, and a lot of great restaurants downtown.

You go toplaces like Montclair and you will also get a great selection of restaurants and clubs in the downtown area, with quick commute to the city.

While I do agree that the suburbs are definitely less happening than anyplace around the city, after driving through areas of Queens (say Dyker street just off the Queensborough Bridge) you can say that of any place, even those in the city.

As for Newark, it has some nice places, but the places I have been to (mostly around the train station) are ratehr dismal. You do have to know where you are going in order to find what you want, but I believe these guys when they say it is there.

Jersey city has some good areas, including the heights, some good restaurants (including a nice italian place called Pesto), and otehr nicer areas. It also has project-like areas that I would not want to walk in at night.

So, there are areas you can go to that are good and bad all on their own merit.

As for being close to teh city, Jersey city (pavonia) an Hoboken are closer than most of the boroughs of NYC to Manhattan proper. Only downside is that it is only the WTC area, the west village, and up to midtown manhattan (33rd and 6th avenue) that are that close. All others require an extra bit of cash and a transfer to the subway. Small thing really, but that makes those areas closer to brooklyn or queens at times than Hoboken...

Anyway, I hope we answered your questions there. If you have any more, or want more info, we could probably help you out if you gave us a bit of direction....

MikeKruger
September 20th, 2006, 11:03 AM
One area I'm not familiar with is Weehawken, which is just north of Hoboken
I've heard they enjoy 24/7 bus service to Manhattan.
Is that true?

nydreamer83
September 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM
thanks everyone

i was just wondering if you felt disconnected to nyc by living across the river...is the commute during the winter time bad?

LeCom
September 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Anywhere east of the Meadowlands might as well be another boro of the NYC - it's very urban and decently connected to the city, at least no worse than SI is connected to the rest of the NYC. West/north of the Meadowlands is where the REAL New Jersey begins - a paradise for anyone who loves the suburbs (I am not included in that group btw).

And yes, I have lived in both the NYC and North Jersey.

OmegaNYC
September 21st, 2006, 04:02 PM
New Jersey is a great state. NJ is home to many things, and if you take the time to explore what NJ have to offer, you'll love this place. :)

JCMAN320
September 22nd, 2006, 12:10 AM
I don't get how JC is not a city. Some NY'ers have the most childish and ignorant view of this side of the river for people that consider themselves very openminded, alot seem to be narrowminded when it come to Jersey. JC is a true a city and very urban and vital. Downtown is not that dangerous bro so I would beg to differ consider I lver here. JC has very nice middle class areas and it has a a true "city" feel so I don't know what your talkin about Mr. Spice.

OmegaNYC
September 22nd, 2006, 12:59 AM
Some Guy #1 "NJ sucks...."

Some Guy #2 "Yeah NJ, isn't home to anything"

Some Guy #3 "You sure? New Jersey is famous for it's shore, history, and culture."

#1 "DA SHORE!? ARE YOU KIDDING!!!? IT'S POLLUTED!!!"

#3 "Not true. Consider this, New Jersey has some of the most strict laws in the nation, when it comes to pollution in the water. Oh yeah, that whole fiasco about the "syringe tide" back in 87? That was New York's fault. Jersey forced the state to pay after taking them to court. After all, it did come from the landfill in Staten Island."

#2 "HISTORY!! WHAT HISTORY! JERZEY SUCKS!"

#3 "Jersey isn't considerd the "Crossroads of the American Revolution" for nothing Did you know that NJ is home to the most Revolutionary war battlefields? NJ is pretty much the birth place of American freedom. Did you ever hear of a guy named Thomas Edison? You know, the guy who invented the light bulb, and other electronics that we take for granted. The original "Hollywood" was in New Jersey. What about cities such as Paterson, that powered this young nation, and broke it from the chains of Europe during the 1800's? During both world wars, NJ did it shared to make sure the Germans didn't take over this country. The history of NJ, is the history of America"

#1 "BUT NEWARK IS A DUMP!

#3 "Ummm, calling a major American city a "dump" is a little extreme. Besides, Newark is the third oldest city in America. It was founded in 1666, making it older than Philadelphia. Newark may have fallen on hard times, but it now has a mayor that is doing everything in his power to bring this city back. Who can claim that their mayor is a Rhodes Scholar, and a graduate of Oxford, Stanford, and Yale Law School?"

#2 "CULTURE! THE ONLY THING YOU GUYS GOT IS THE SOPRANOS!!!"

#3 "Sopranos...? Cute! What about REAL New Jerseyans, such as poet Allen Ginsberg, NFL coach Bill Parcells, musician Bruce Springsteen, actor Bruce Willis, sculptor David Ascalon, or Justic Samuel Alito? You saying this state can't porduce anything? People that have an impact on our lives come from New Jersey. Please pick up a book. Oh, you want to read American Pastoral? The guy who wrote it, Phillip Roth, is from New Jersey by the way."

#1&2 "SO WHAT! NJ STILL SUCKS!!!"

#3 "You guys just don't get it, huh??? Go on some internet forum, and blog about how much New Jersey "blows" then. I give up.:rolleyes:

Ninjahedge
September 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM
A little heavy there Omega. You are beginning to sound like the NJ Tourist board.... ;)

I have seen this go both ways though. Everyone fears and criticizes what is outside their own sphere of influence and experience. NJians bring up tales from the 70's when NYC is mentioned with crime, drugs, prostitution, and clubs for any persuasion. Not all do this, but the further away from Manhattan they are, the more that happens.

Hell, NYS people do the same thing!

NJ people, for the most part, don't even know what the heck is IN Long Island!!!

On the same foot, I have soon-to-be-in-laws in Queens that think that driving or getting from there (and Manhattan) to HOBOKEN is like going to Pennsylvania.

It is all a bunch of people who are assigning their own false reasons to cover their fear of what they do not know and also bolster their own opinions of where they are in life. If you say NJ is a toxic dump, you do not feel as bad for paying 20%-100% more for the same land, same size house, the same commute to/from Manhattan living in Queens.

McMansions aside, of course.. ;)

OmegaNYC
September 22nd, 2006, 07:57 PM
A little heavy there Omega. You are beginning to sound like the NJ Tourist board.... ;)

Heh, that was what I was shooting for. :D

JCMAN320
September 22nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
Omega I hear you I just hate ignorance. If I don't understand something or mis-understand something, I look it up and educate myself on it. I wish more people would do that and expand there sphere of influence and become more cultured instead of being ignorant and following old outdated stereotypes.

I mean seriously we get called dirty and everything and I'm thinking one day and realized that we get penilized for being an industrial state in the North-eastern part of the state. I mean there is nothing wrong with industry. It one of the many ways we make our money. We have the largest petroleum containment facility outside of the Mid-East in the world!!! We lead the nation in pharmaceutical production and scientific research. Some of the drugs invented to combat some of the worlds viruses we produced in New Jersey. Hell Bell Labs has turned out so many inventions its unreal. Rutgers has been trying to invent new cancer drugs and has coem out with a quite a few.

I mean what is wrong with industry?

Ninjahedge
September 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Raritan.

Exit 13. (+/-)

;)

OmegaNYC
September 25th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Raritan.

Exit 13. (+/-)

;)

New Jersey. The Industrial Hell.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Line3174_-_Shipping_Containers_at_the_terminal_at_Port_Eliza beth%2C_New_Jersey_-_NOAA.jpg/300px-Line3174_-_Shipping_Containers_at_the_terminal_at_Port_Eliza beth%2C_New_Jersey_-_NOAA.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1b/DSCN3824_newarkbaynewandold_e.JPG/300px-DSCN3824_newarkbaynewandold_e.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Pulaski_Skyway_northbound_Broadway_exit.jpg/200px-Pulaski_Skyway_northbound_Broadway_exit.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/10/P5270073.JPG/250px-P5270073.JPG

http://www.merail.com/baysho2.jpg

http://www.colorantshistory.org/sitebuilder/images/American_Cyanamid_Warners_1974_for_web-250x167.jpg

http://www.colorantshistory.org/images/Dupont_Linden_site_epa_1974_for_web.jpg
But, it's home-sweet-home, baby!!!! :D

JCMAN320
September 25th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Still what is wrong wiht industry. Why because NJ shows a side of the US economy that people choose to ignore. I think why people make jokes at our industrial heritage is because it shows the America no one wants to admit too. By that I mean the oil guzzling, auto obsessed, power hungry, and industrial country that we are. I mean hell NY use to have all of that industry. Then they left NY and came to NJ in the 30s-60s and rooted themselves here. NJ is a great state and the fact that we have "icky" industry is not reason to make a joke. That's money making. That is part of the many industries that make New Jersey the richest state in the country! Just remember that next time you drive past NEW JERSEY's PORTS (not NY's) on the Turnpike, and see the airport, the oil refineries, the ware house distribution centers, the railyards, trucking depot, manufacturing centers, etc... just remember one thing; those are dollars being made. It's all about the Benjamins baby!!! :)

Ninjahedge
September 25th, 2006, 02:18 PM
JC, the whole point is that it is all well and good to say hat industry is needed, but nobody wants an oil refinery in their back yard.

And NJians are no exception in that.

So... we are all on the same page here, I think the only thing that is being expressed i sthat there are some things that residents can admit to being less than desirable, but in no way reflect the general condition of the state as a whole.

OmegaNYC
September 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Industry is for men. If you ask me, NJ is one manly state. New Jersey. Not for feint of heart! ;)

macreator
September 25th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Industry is great and all, but that doesn't mean I'd want an oil refinery next door to my apartment building. If you gave Queens residents the option of dumping their remaining dirty industry buildings, I doubt they'd want to hold onto them.

spatulashack
September 30th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Ok... this coming from someone who has lived in CT for almost 4 years now, I love New Jersey and find it cleaner and nicer than most towns I have visited in CT, MA, and ESPECIALLY NY. There is more to NJ than Elizabeth and Camden. How about checking out the towns of Upper Montclair, North Calldwell, or most shore towns where Mansions run upwards of 10 million dollars? I grew up in a small town called Nutley about 10 minutes from Manhattan. The great thing about New Jersey is that its "suburbs" are actually quite urban which means we have the best of both worlds. Most Northern NJ towns have a dowtown area and everything is within a 5 minute drive. If NJ is so crappy than why is it both the most densely populated state and the state with the highest per capita income (NJ surpassed Connecticut last year). For such a crappy place, rich people sure are excited to live there and pay the ASTRONOMICAL taxes! Most suburbs in the rest of the world have no character. Each house sits on acres of land and they drive 10 minutes to the nearest strip mall to get what they need. NJ towns are filled with history and are basically just really nice versions of Queens and other boroughs of Manhattan. The only difference is, my NJ town was cleaner, prettier, and closer to Midtown than most people living in Brooklyn, Queens, Statan Island, and the Bronx. Unless you live on the island of Manhattan, you have no right in calling Northern New Jersey trashy or having nothing to do. Last time I checked, Queens wasn't exactly hopping with nightlife and we all know you people who live in the boroughs head into Manhattan to party anyway. It's just you have a longer drive than I did living in NJ!

OmegaNYC
September 30th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Nice to have you here, bub. Just hope you don't get flamed by someone living in the outer-boroughs. :)

JCMAN320
September 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Sick'em spatulashack sick'em. lol Spatulashack is 100% right on the money with his analysis. See someone who knows what they are talkin about. Spatulashack welcome to forum and I make you a honary resident of New Jersey (that is currently displaced). Lol great to have you. :)

spatulashack
October 1st, 2006, 01:09 AM
Sick'em spatulashack sick'em. lol Spatulashack is 100% right on the money with his analysis. See someone who knows what they are talkin about. Spatulashack welcome to forum and I make you a honary resident of New Jersey (that is currently displaced). Lol great to have you. :)

Thanks for the welcome! I've been reading your Jersey City rising thread and you do an amazing job keeping me updated. I plan on moving down to the Jersey City area in a year or so. As for getting flamed for talking bad about the outer boroughs... I don't really have anything against them but I hate when people who live there pretend like it is so much better than Jersey when that isn't true at all. I have family that lives there and they are always so amazing how much nicer and closer my town was to Manhattan than their's.