PDA

View Full Version : Pace University?

fred042
September 18th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hello.

I have been a member of this site now for a while but I haven't participated in any threads yet - more of an observer, reading and reading. However, the time has come for my first official thread so here goes.

In my whole life my main objective has been to escape the everyday claustrophobic reality I face here in Sweden and replace it with eight million people around me. After browsing the 'net for universities in New York City I came across what seems to be an excellent school - Pace University.

The thing is that I haven't found much information on this school except for their official website, I want to read opinions and other interesting stories about Pace University. And most importantly, is this school worth applying to?

Anyone who have attended the school and like to share some?

Thanks in advance.

Schadenfrau
September 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Pace isn't really considered an excellent school.

What are you looking to study? It's generally a better idea to select a school by reputation first, location somewhere down the line.

fred042
September 18th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Pace isn't really considered an excellent school.

What are you looking to study? It's generally a better idea to select a school by reputation first, location somewhere down the line.

Thanks for your reply, honest opinion like that is what I need.

I want to major in marketing, and I understand that reputation is an extremely important factor but it is kind of hard to be admitted to either Columbia or NYU as an international student.

OmegaNYC
September 19th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Does your college have to be in NYC? You can try some colleges in New Jersey, such as Rutgers University. (especially the one in New Brunswick). Though, that can be a commute from NYC.

FrankHegly
September 19th, 2006, 03:53 AM
I think somthing really really important to consider is where you want to be....

If you are intending on doing a marketing major then i am assuming you want a job in marketing. If this is the case which country will you be working?

If it is in the USA then look at which companies you might work for. Then look to see which school/college has links with them. Every university etc will say they have strong links with industry but check out which companies they deal with. I have found that getting your foot in the door is the hardest step and you need to look for way around this. Although reputation is important to some degree, it is important to remember why you are going through education (usually to get a job) and reputation doesnt count for much if you are unemployed.

Talk to the companies and ask them- they have the best advise as they can tell you what they want.

If you are not sure what you want to do, head for the most internationally recognised colleges. There is very little point otherwise...it would be a waste of money and i am sure the time you spend doing it would be better spent working your way up the career ladder.

2 Tips for getting into a tough college

1: If you want to get into a good college but can't, take an admin job in one of the departments. U will get to know the staff but more importantly if you work over a set number of hours you can study there (equal opps and investing in people etc) then you can quit ou job and stay at uni.

2. Talk to the admisions person and pester them, get them to invite you there and this will usually mean an offer. This worked for me (i got an offer to read Law at one of the most prestigious Universities in the UK, before applications were even open :) . Natrually i turned it down but thats another story :D )

Hope this is of some help

fred042
September 19th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all your replies, I have received more information here in two days than I have been able to gather from the 'net in six months. You are truly excellent people!

My dream is to study and eventually start a career in USA, so once I leave Sweden then it's hopefully for good. NYC has just always been a part of this dream due to the fact that it is impossible not to fall in love with the city, even if you have never been there. This has led to my narrow-minded search criteria - as long as a school is located in NYC then it's on my list. After reading your threads however I feel that I should begin to look for other alternatives more suited for my needs.

OmegaNYC, thanks for the advice - interesting school.

FrankHegly, you know what they say - reputation is the cornerstone of power. Seriously though, you got some very good points but I have always thought that the reputation of the school is what will make you competitive in the market? And it will also open up more doors than it would if you study at a less pristigious school.

FrankHegly
September 19th, 2006, 08:57 AM
you know what they say - reputation is the cornerstone of power. Seriously though, you got some very good points but I have always thought that the reputation of the school is what will make you competitive in the market? And it will also open up more doors than it would if you study at a less pristigious school.

It is true, if you go to an 'ivy league' then you are more likley to get a job. But i think it is important to consider that more likley does not equal getting. If a college has a special link with a certain firm it means that each year they will take a set number of students and offer them jobs. So it somtimes its better to consider whether you should go to the most reputable college or the best college for your purpose. If unsure always aim high you can only fall short but at least you have tried.

Please do consult your future employers, do what they say and you will not go far wrong (might also give you a personal contact).

I know from experience that top companies recruit from really crap colleges simply because

The CEO went there etc.......you would be surprised how often this happens
The uni/college is in some sort of training partnership
The company like to be seen as supporting local colleges (if the college is near the office)Check out the companies and see what you come up with
r.moorman@saatchiny.com (r.moorman@saatchiny.com)
might be a good start, he is cheif marketing officer at Saatchi & Saatchi (a very large marketing company) email him, he can only say no. Perhaps say you want to do the job he is doing and ask his advise-if you get it im sure it will come with a job offer If not then just do the same again with someone else.

Hope this is of some help :)

FrankHegly
September 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM
This is my understanding and I might be wrong..........

If you fail to get into the college you want in the USA you can go to a community college in the area. From there if you score well enough at the end of your first year you can transfer to the better college.

I do not want to fill you with false hope but if this is the case then it may be that you could start out at Pace and then go to NYU if you put in the work.

Schadenfrau
September 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
That's somewhat true.

There is no guarantee that any college will accept you, no matter how well you've done in community college. There's also no guarantee that another college will accept the transfer credits from a community college. State colleges, as opposed to private schools, are far more likely to accept transfer credits.

ryan
September 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM
One of my favorite people started college at a community college, transferred to a state school for a undergrad, then went on to an ivy league school for grad school. I don't think it's typical or easy, but it can be done - and with much less money/debt.

Also, I would never waste my time emailing a random executive asking for a job. They probably have a spam filter set up - if not they'll just delete you. They have much more important things to do. Apply for specific jobs through a company's website. If you're in school, go to as many on-campus interviews as possible.

FrankHegly
September 21st, 2006, 04:21 AM
Work
If you are worried about upsetting any future bosses, just ask the HR departments advise instead. They will most likley have somone specifically for graduate recruitment and you should value their perspective.
Study
I am not suggesting that you just apply to Pace and discount the higher ones- i just suppose i am saying every cloud has a silver lining. Even if you can only go to Pace then if you work hard enough you might make it up to where you want to be. And the important thing is you get to be in NY in the process.

Just out of interest what did you study IB?

FrankHegly
September 21st, 2006, 04:22 AM
One of my favorite people .
What do you mean by people?