PDA

View Full Version : First Thing I'd Do Upon Moving to NYC

blahblahblah
September 21st, 2006, 01:45 PM
I'm working on a move to NYC. After un-winding, what would be the first NYC specific extracurriculuar activity you'd do?

Schadenfrau
September 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM
I'd probably head to the grocery store for some food staples and toilet paper.

cadavi
September 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM
I'm working on a move to NYC. After un-winding, what would be the first NYC specific extracurriculuar activity you'd do?

Get to a Starbucks (or other free WiFi hotspot - Central Park or Bryant Park are good bets) and go to www.menupages.com (http://www.menupages.com) and select 2/3 delivery menus for each cuisine type and bookmark them. You'll be seeing food delivery guys much more frequently than neighbors! :-)

Welcome to the Greatest City in the World!!!

New Yorker 06
September 21st, 2006, 10:50 PM
As a new New Yorker, it is your prime duty to find a corner that is active with tourists; then you must mock them, being sure to point out that you are superior to them. ;)

In reality, I would spend your first few days getting things organized, buying food, toilet paper, and other essentials, and be sure to get a subway map, and bus map. Be sure to walk around your neighborhood to get an idea of where everything is.

And don't forget to have your door locks changed. You never know who has keys to the old locks.

Welcome to NYC!

ThisIsntMyRealName
September 21st, 2006, 11:37 PM
I just moved here. I drove to Montauk and back, then I sold my car.

ravishinglylow
September 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
And don't forget to have your door locks changed. You never know who has keys to the old locks.

Welcome to NYC!
Ooh, good idea.

milleniumcab
September 23rd, 2006, 01:08 AM
Walk out of your building and kiss the ground...May she be as good to you as she has been to most, including myself...:)

LOVE-NYC
September 23rd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Walk out of your building and kiss the ground...May she be as good to you as she has been to most, including myself...:)

I couldn't agree more...and I still feel like kissing the ground even after all these years...:)

globetrotter
July 19th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'd buy a Nespresso coffee maker, TV and telephone. Then I'd take a nap.

stache
July 19th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Cocktails!

The Benniest
July 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Get a MetroCard. :cool:

The 7-day unlimited ride card that I'm using at the moment is saving my arse! :D Of course, being that you are going to move, I'd settle for the monthly card.

nycla3
July 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Slice of pizza. (Sentimental...that was the first thing I did 30 some-odd years ago.)

...then cocktails (per stache)

MrSpice
July 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM

I would buy sunglasses so that you don't see all the dirt on the streets and in the subway. By the way, don't pet the rats in the subway - they have mutated form the rats we've come to know and love...

When I see this motto "Greatest City in the World" being repeated, I wonder if people who say that really believe it themselves. Or, possibly this is something they want to believe. If this is the greatest one, which one is #2 and #3? And what makes New York better than the ones in 2nd and 3rd place?

philvia
July 19th, 2008, 05:48 PM
^^ what does that have anything to do with this thread?

first thing im gonna do is throw my bags in my room, meet my room mates, and find somewhere near to buy sheets/comforter/pillows/essentials
i'm moving next month to school at NYU Poly in downtown brooklyn... im not taking very much just clothes and computer stuff and a few personal things to decorate room with. im just gonna pack as much clothes as i can in my 2 airport bags and ship the rest of my stuff.

EDIT: lolz 2 year old thread :(

KenNYC
July 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Being old doesn't make it a bad thread;)

My first would probably be to walk over to bed bath and beyond to get kitchen- and bedroom-stuff. Getting a TV is also high on the priority list, as is a philly cheesesteak (sorry) and a good old european beer;)

stache
July 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
phil, there's a Target right downtown in Brooklyn. :cool:

KenNYC
July 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Any good electronics stores in the battery park area btw? Just in case someone knows :p

scumonkey
July 19th, 2008, 07:15 PM
J and R

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1+park+row,+nyc&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=29.716225,60.117188&ie=UTF8&ll=40.712248,-74.008627&spn=0.006929,0.014677&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

KenNYC
July 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Great, thanks