PDA

View Full Version : New ideas for a tourist?

GINGER
September 30th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Came to NY in february this year,did all the usual,ESB,Rockerfeller,CBGB's,Tribeca,Statten island ferry,Central park,all the usual touristy stuff,hoping to return early next year so wondered where would you people as locals or even other tourists recommend,i've an interest in music,history etcany ideas please?

BRT
September 30th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Music -- there's tons of music around, grab a copy of time out NY or village voice and see. Rock concert, symphony, jazz club?

History -- I've heard that the Big Onion walking tours are pretty neat.

Personally, I think NYC is the type of place where you can have loads fun just strolling around aimlessly, with no plan at all, soaking in the sights. I usually take a couple of saturday or sunday afternoons a month to just go wandering around in random places, it's like a mini-vacation each time.

ablarc
September 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM
In the best cities, the attractions, the destinations, are just the excuse to get you moving; the in-between is often at least as interesting as the destination. Or to quote pre-cruise-boat Cunard, “Getting there is half the fun.”

After a few weeks of living in Manhattan, you discover that you don’t really have to plan your recreation days; all you have to do is go out the door. Thereafter, the entertainment takes care of itself. On Manhattan’s permissive street grid, you just head in whichever direction seems most interesting that minute. You don’t have to know where you’re going, but if you find yourself outside the Metropolitan or McSorley’s, by all means go on in for a visit.

Most New Yorkers who are not anesthesized are lifelong tourists in their own city.

That said, lots of suggestions here: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8470

Front_Porch
September 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I've lived in the city nearly twenty years and I still always learn something when I go with one of his groups.

His website will also give you lots of DIY ideas:

http://www.justinsnewyork.com/tourList.aspx

pacz
September 30th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Pick up a copy of Time Out New York, always has great ides for the week, or go to:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/

ablarc
October 1st, 2006, 10:42 AM
I've lived in the city nearly twenty years and I still always learn something when I go with one of his groups.
Interesting suggestion. How does he get permission to visit those apartments? I'd sure go on the Rudolph apartment tour if I were in New York that day. How many folks tend to show up?

milleniumcab
October 2nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
Came to NY in february this year,did all the usual,ESB,Rockerfeller,CBGB's,Tribeca,Statten island ferry,Central park,all the usual touristy stuff,hoping to return early next year so wondered where would you people as locals or even other tourists recommend,i've an interest in music,history etcany ideas please?

I guess early next year means in the spring, right?..If that's the case, Brooklyn Botanical Garden is a must...

MrSpice
October 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM

Take a walk along Broadway on Upper West Side (70s and 80s Streets) - it's New York's Champs Elisees. Walk to Riverside park. Visit Grand Central Terminal - it's gorgeous. Walk around on Upper East Side. There are lots of beautiful historic buildings in that area on 5th Avenue, Madison and Park Avenue. There are lots of very attractive city blocks in the 60s and 70s there (it's a very upscale area, so that's is to be expected). Visit the Columbia University area (Broadway & 116th street). The university itself is beautiful. And the area around it is full of life and excitement.

Front_Porch
October 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Interesting suggestion. How does he get permission to visit those apartments? I'd sure go on the Rudolph apartment tour if I were in New York that day. How many folks tend to show up?

You'd have to ask Justin how he gets into the places he gets into; but his tours do generate fans. I think we had maybe 40 people for Forest Hills Gardens, which surprised me.

ali r.

tdp
October 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
You'd have to ask Justin how he gets into the places he gets into; but his tours do generate fans. I think we had maybe 40 people for Forest Hills Gardens, which surprised me.

ali r.

I am sure that Justin's tours are well worth it - but you need numbers to balance the cost out.
Starting price appears to be $325.00 (when there's only eight of you that's a bit costly per head).