PDA

View Full Version : Top of the Rocks

Mac6
October 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM
:confused: I am coming from scotland to new york in 2 weeks. We'd like to visit the "top of the Rocks" to see the fantastic view I've heard about. One of my friends says that the only way you can get in is if you dress smart and buy a cocktail in the bar at the top. I don't believe him. Can anyone give me anymore info about this.I've been on the website but I still don't quite understand. Are there different areas etc? What would you recommend?

I don't quite understand the whole set up of the rockerfeller centre and all that. My mom's a fellow New yorker... I'm counting on you guys!
Thanks!
xx:)

lofter1
October 1st, 2006, 03:53 PM
That was the case in the old days when the Rainbow Room was up there -- now you can dress anyway you like, pay your $20.00 and get to the top. It's easy to get to and easy to find ... give yourself a good 1 to 1-1/2 hours for the experience.

You might want to go twice -- once during the day and again at night -- but don't know if you can "come and go" and use the same ticket twice for entry on the same day.

tdp
October 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM
Best of both worlds: Before you visit, check our what time sunset will be.Get to the top about 45 minutes before that to see the view in the daylight, watch the sun go down and the lights come up.... you won't forget the experience.Lofter is right. TOTR is a tourist attraction - dress however you like.

Mac6
October 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys,
I will only be there for 2 days as I am staying with relatives in Maryland for the rest of my holidays. Wanted to travel lightly so the less changes of clothes the better.
x

piglet
October 2nd, 2006, 02:14 PM
You can book your tickets for TOTR online at www.topoftherocknyc.com, you have to specify the date and time you want to go but then this is supposed to cut down on the amout of time queueing, as they only let a few people in at once.

but, does anyone know if you have a time limit once you get up to the top? or can you spend as long as you like up there?

i agree with tdp about going up just before sunset and seeing the lights come up! i did that at the empire state building and it was fantastic, even after waiting in line for a couple of hours!!!

Mac6
October 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all your advice guys. Also I fould out that there is not a limit on how long you can stay up apart from the fact that it closes at midnight.