PDA

View Full Version : Q for NYers: alternative access to SoHo and Columbus

lorcar
October 2nd, 2006, 01:37 AM
hi guys,
hope you do not consider my question too silly.

As assignment for class, i have to find out "how best to get to Columbus Center (59th str) and SoHo (from broadway and Prince; then from prince to Av. of Americas, turn south to Spring, walk east to Broadway and turn north to Prince)"
since the class is also composed by non americans, the prof also adds "if you don't know, ask 2 or 3 NYer classmates, see how many sets of directions you get"

The point is that i only know how to reach the 2 spots with the subway. no idea about car or alternative paths.

I thank you in advance
l

ablarc
October 2nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
The beauty of New York's permissive grid is that it offers a near-infinite number of equidistant ways to get from one place to another (think about it while looking at a map).

You can take a different route from one destination to another every day --sometimes for months-- and never take a route that is longer than the others. Diagonal Broadway provides the shortcut; it's the hypotenuse of many right triangles.

daver
October 2nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
I would just take the R train all the way up, or the #6 bus. Either R or walk over and catch the A train.

But that is just me. Which I suppose is the point of this exercise. If I took the R and it was pouring rain, I would probably switch to the 1 at 42nd so I didn't have to walk.

lofter1
October 2nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
I know this route well ...

Subway from SoHo > Columbus Circle:

Get on any uptown train at Broadway / Houston (aka Broadway / Lafayette -- one block north of Prince St.). If you get a B or D (both F & V trains cut east to Queens at midtown) then stay on the train to 59th St. / Columbus Circle.

Alternative: If you get on a F or V at the station above then get off at the next stop (West 4th St.) and go upstairs and get either the A (express) or C (local) to 59th St. / Columbus Circle.

[B]Driving (lots of one way streets so sometimes you have to go around a block to reach the exact intersection):

From Prince / Broadway > 59th Columbus Circle: Go west on Prince through SoHo to 6th Avenue then make right and continue uptown to Greenwich / 8th St. There make a left and continue west across Greenwich to 8th Ave. There you make a right and continue uptown on 8th Ave. to arrive at 59th St. / Columbus Circle.

59th / Columbus Circle > Broadway / Prince: Go west 1 block to 9th Ave. (Columbus) then turn left and head downtown on 9th to 14th St. Continue two blocks through the meatpacking district and cut right over to Washington St. Then make a left on Washington St. and head downtown on Washington to Spring St. Make a left on Spring and continue east to Broadway / Spring -- continue one more block to Spring / Crosby St. At Crosby make a left and go one more block to Prince St. / Broadway.

Walking: Depending on how much time you have you can go any variety of ways.

Most direct: Uptown on Broadway is a straight shot from Broadway / Prince to Broadway / 59th / Columbus Circle. A sa "commute" you can do this walk in ~ 1 hour (if you're moving and not stopping for all the umpteen reasons that might entice you along the way).

Scenic (just one of many options): Go west on Prince to Sixth Ave. then continue west on either Charlton St. or King St and continue to blocks to Hudson St. At Hudson St. make a right and head uptown across Houston St. a few more blocks to Morton St. Turn left on Morton and head west 2 blocks to the West Side Hiway -- cross the Hiway to Hudson River Park and go uptown along the Park to 14th St. At 14th St. go back across the West Side Hiway and go one block to 10th ave. and then go uptown on 10th Ave. Or continue east on 14th through the Meatpacking District to 9th Avenue. (Another alternative is to continue up the West Side Hiway to 23rd St and then cut east on 24th or 25th). Go left and continue uptown on 9th Avenue. From 10th Ave: when you reach the 20s go right on 20th, 21st or 22nd and continue to either 9th Ave or 8th Ave then go left (uptown) along the Avenue.

North from 23rd > 42nd on the westside isn't the most interesting -- particularly the blocks from 30th St. > 40th St. But that's just a short stretch. If you continue uptown beyond 42nd to 59th / Columbus Circle on either 8th Ave or 9th Ave you will have a good walk -- both routes have their own particular personalities.

This walk will take you 2 to 3 times as long as the direct walk north via Broadway.

lorcar
October 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
THANKS A LOT, really!