PDA

View Full Version : Electronic stores on Canal St/Chinatown

DenimDemon
October 6th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I went into a small electronic store at 33 Canal St...closer to the LES than Chinatown I suppose. Anyway I asked about a TV that was listed on the Circuit City website for about $1100. They said they could have it there the next day and I could have it for $960 if I paid in cash. How can they afford to do this? Is it stolen goods, refurbished, or what? Are any of these little electronics places around the area legitimate? Thanks.

lofter1
October 6th, 2006, 10:54 AM
They ^^^ do "adjustments" on their taxes, etc.

Ninjahedge
October 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
They do the same thing at computer shows and the like.

Cash makes it so they do not have to declare it AND they do not have to pay any credit companies service fees.

Also, Circuit Sh*tty is not, I repeat NOT, the best place for consumer electronics.

Go on the web and try:

www.pricegrabber.com for prices
www.fatwallet.com for coupons/advice
www.dealtaker.com for coupons/advice as well
www.resellerratings.com to see how the online retailer rates.

Mass chains like CC, BB and the now deceased Wiz had much higher product prices than anythnig else, even on their online venues. Shop around a bit and see what you can get elsewhere. Also, if you want to carry out what you ahve purchased, look at the price from B+H or J+R. Mention one to the other and you may get them to lower their price (if you acn prove it).

GL!

DenimDemon
October 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the help. So what you're saying is that I'mgoing get the exact same product...so who cares if they are cheating the government...I got a cheap TV!

DenimDemon
October 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Also...I never do shop at Circuit City, but I found the TV through some "hot deals" website. It's definitely cheaper on the CC site than when I use any price compare website on the internet. Plus a lot of the prices those sites are showing are refurb prices. So it looks like I'm gonna go with the place on Canal st. since its less than 1k and I don't have to pay for shipping.