PDA

View Full Version : New York Tips

jamiestoddart
October 6th, 2006, 06:46 PM
My wife and I are going to NYC 01/11/06 for 4 nights for my 30th http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/smiley.gif , any tips would be appreciated:

must do / must nots
nightlife - bars etc
restaurants

Cheers,

Jamie (Manchester, UK)

ablarc
October 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Bring plenty of warm clothing.

Need to know more about your interests for optimized suggestions.

Bubble06
October 11th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Hiya

You are so lucky to be going, im desperate to go back!

What airport are you flying to? we flew to Newark and the view as coming into land of Manhattan is great!

We did helicopter ride, go to the top of the Empire State about 45 mins before it gets dark so you can watch the lights come on its worth waiting around for beleive me. We also did a night time bus tour which took us to Brooklyn. Walk along the Brooklyn bridge another day also, do a bike tour/horse drawn carriage in central park, go to top of the rock (GE building). Go to Maceys if you like shopping, and Century 21 by boyf got some good CK jeans at bargain price, spend some time in Greenwich Village. I could go on for a while!

What hotel are you staying at?

lone star
October 11th, 2006, 10:02 AM
[quote=Bubble06;124923]Hiya

You are so lucky to be going, im desperate to go back!

What airport are you flying to? we flew to Newark and the view as coming into land of Manhattan is great!

We did helicopter ride, go to the top of the Empire State about 45 mins before it gets dark so you can watch the lights come on its worth waiting around for beleive me. We also did a night time bus tour which took us to Brooklyn. Walk along the Brooklyn bridge another day also, do a bike tour/horse drawn carriage in central park, go to top of the rock (GE building). Go to Maceys if you like shopping, and Century 21 by boyf got some good CK jeans at bargain price, spend some time in Greenwich Village. I could go on for a while!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi bubbles.myself and my g/f are heading to new york from ireland on 06/11/2006 for 16days and we are looking forward to doing all those things.the horse and carraige ride around central park how long does it last and how much??

p.s im hoping to get tickets for us to go see david letterman at the ed sullivan theatre.
any other ideas for new york would be greatful.

willie

Bubble06
October 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Youre going for 16 days, youre so lucky! you will have a wonderful time i am certain.

We paid about $35 ish for horse and carriage, was about 25 mins i think. I think it will be nice when you go as there are blankets in back for when it gets cold. We also went on bike tour, basically me and my boyf sat down and a bloke rode us on a bike round central park pointing out the hot spots and film spots etc, that cost around $40 - we think we were ripped off but it was great we enjoyed it. The man was friendly and certainly knew his stuff. That was 45 mins. we got on that near Columbus Circle.

I wanted to do the sex and city tour but my boyfriend was not so keen, obviously. Since coming back we have got hooked on Sopranos so we would like to do the Sopranos tour when we eventually go back there too. You must see the sites at night lit up its such an atmosphere!

It really hits you, the devestation of 9/11 too we visited the WTC site and went for lunch nearby where they had photos of all of those killed that day and it really really hits you, its awful.

IF your girlfriend is a fan of Sex and City i can tell you where Carries apartment is and the bakery, also we visited the apartment building used on friends.

Youre making me jealous!

lone star
October 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Youre going for 16 days, youre so lucky! you will have a wonderful time i am certain.

We paid about $35 ish for horse and carriage, was about 25 mins i think. I think it will be nice when you go as there are blankets in back for when it gets cold. We also went on bike tour, basically me and my boyf sat down and a bloke rode us on a bike round central park pointing out the hot spots and film spots etc, that cost around $40 - we think we were ripped off but it was great we enjoyed it. The man was friendly and certainly knew his stuff. That was 45 mins. we got on that near Columbus Circle.

I wanted to do the sex and city tour but my boyfriend was not so keen, obviously. Since coming back we have got hooked on Sopranos so we would like to do the Sopranos tour when we eventually go back there too. You must see the sites at night lit up its such an atmosphere!

It really hits you, the devestation of 9/11 too we visited the WTC site and went for lunch nearby where they had photos of all of those killed that day and it really really hits you, its awful.

IF your girlfriend is a fan of Sex and City i can tell you where Carries apartment is and the bakery, also we visited the apartment building used on friends.

Youre making me jealous!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
we are really looking forward to it as this will be our first time there any info we would be greatful for.
we are also flying in to newark.by the time you left the plane did it take ye long to get ur luggage and go through customs and get out of the airport??

Bubble06
October 12th, 2006, 04:21 AM
it didnt take long really, i suppose we waited about 15 mins or so for baggage and then we had to wait at the queue for a couple of mins to have our passports stamped and those forms checked, the ones you fill in on the plane im sorry i cant remember what theyre called now! It was fairly quiet when we went to that section. The forms arent the easiest things to fill in either its quite confusing as to where to write the answers so work from the bottom upwards!

Also we were told if we lived together, married or not we could use the same form as it was same address but when we got to the checking section they told us otherwise and my boyf had to go and fill one in then which held us up a little.

We waited for about half an hour for our transport to hotel, we got a shuttle bus that we had arranged via expedia where we booked our break. We heard terrible things about this but as we had paid we had to risk it (was only 11 each return) but it was fine, brace yourself for when you get into Manhattan though, everyone seems to drive quite iratically).

Where are you staying and what time will you get there?

Ninjahedge
October 12th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Do not drive in Manhattan if you can avoid it.

There are also "movie tours" available in NYC, but you would probably be better off just looking up where everything was filmed and walking there yourself. Then when group comes by, if you REALLY want to hear the stuff they have to say (some of which is absolute fiction) you can listen in.

Your best experience in NY would probably be if you walked it. You will see so much more of it and get a better appreciation of the size and diversity than if you were to just "pop in" at one place or another.

Have fun!

lone star
October 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Do not drive in Manhattan if you can avoid it.

There are also "movie tours" available in NYC, but you would probably be better off just looking up where everything was filmed and walking there yourself. Then when group comes by, if you REALLY want to hear the stuff they have to say (some of which is absolute fiction) you can listen in.

Your best experience in NY would probably be if you walked it. You will see so much more of it and get a better appreciation of the size and diversity than if you were to just "pop in" at one place or another.

Have fun!

cheers ninja lookin forward to some fun:)

lone star
October 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM
it didnt take long really, i suppose we waited about 15 mins or so for baggage and then we had to wait at the queue for a couple of mins to have our passports stamped and those forms checked, the ones you fill in on the plane im sorry i cant remember what theyre called now! It was fairly quiet when we went to that section. The forms arent the easiest things to fill in either its quite confusing as to where to write the answers so work from the bottom upwards!

Also we were told if we lived together, married or not we could use the same form as it was same address but when we got to the checking section they told us otherwise and my boyf had to go and fill one in then which held us up a little.

We waited for about half an hour for our transport to hotel, we got a shuttle bus that we had arranged via expedia where we booked our break. We heard terrible things about this but as we had paid we had to risk it (was only 11 each return) but it was fine, brace yourself for when you get into Manhattan though, everyone seems to drive quite iratically).

Where are you staying and what time will you get there?

hi bubbles we are staying around the north bergen/hobeken area of new jersey about 5miles from central manhatten.we fly out from shannon here in ireland around 9.30am and due to arrive in newark around 11.50am.wonder how busy the airport will be then.lol.so you say that we both fill out the forms on de plane?? we will probably take a yellow cab to where we are going.i take it there is plenty yellow cabs about de airport??

and yes i still cant wait...lol.

ablarc
October 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM
hi bubbles we are staying around the north bergen/hobeken area of new jersey about 5miles from central manhatten.
I assume you're doing this because you have relatives or friends in New Jersey. If you're doing it to save on hotel rates, I suggest you reconsider and find a cheap place in Manhattan (they do exist).

Bubble06
October 13th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Yeah we noticed plenty of cabs about dont worry, we landed at 11:45am so its more or less the same time.

You must spend as much time in the city as possible, its a shame youre not staying there.

heather
October 13th, 2006, 06:58 AM
where abouts is the apartment buildings used in friends? would love to go there, and also the central perk coffee house, can you visit there also?

x

lone star
October 13th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Yeah we noticed plenty of cabs about dont worry, we landed at 11:45am so its more or less the same time.

You must spend as much time in the city as possible, its a shame youre not staying there.

we are spending everyday in the city.new jersey is only our sleeping base for 6-7 hours.lol now :)

Bubble06
October 13th, 2006, 07:21 AM
The friends building is on the corner of Grove and Bedford Street in Greenwich Village. Dont think Central Perk is real its in studio

ablarc
October 13th, 2006, 07:21 AM
we are spending everyday in the city.new jersey is only our sleeping base for 6-7 hours.lol now :)
You'll come to think of that morning and late-evening commute as the very bane of your existence. If you're only doing it because you think it's thrifty, think again. Truth is, it's not even thrifty; you'll discover that the first time you're forced to take a late-night cab to New Jersey. And as I said before you can find a cheap hotel in the city; use Tripadvisor.

intfvdh
October 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM
What price is cheap for a hotel in New York ? I tried to find one but can't seem to find anything decent under 200 a night. Although in Secaucus and Long Island City I find hotels for a decent price.

Frank

Jeffreyny
October 13th, 2006, 10:09 PM
What price is cheap for a hotel in New York ? I tried to find one but can't seem to find anything decent under 200 a night. Although in Secaucus and Long Island City I find hotels for a decent price.

Frank

You absolutely do NOT want to stay in Long island City or Secaucus, NJ.
You're way off base and will be miserable.
Spend a bit more and stay in Manhattan.
some cheap htls. are...

On the Avenue
Thirty, Thirty
Hotel 57

plus your basic chain hotels like Comfort Inn, etc...a bit out of the way but at least in Manhattan.

ablarc
October 13th, 2006, 10:12 PM
What price is cheap for a hotel in New York ? I tried to find one but can't seem to find anything decent under 200 a night.
There are three categories of cheap hotels in Manhattan, and perhaps a fourth with a population of one. Most have websites. Google them for pictures and more info:

1. Pleasant, respectable hotels that are cheap because you don’t necessarily get a private bathroom. You can get a private bath in most of these establishments. Even with the surcharge that entails, you’ll be under $200. Examples include the Chelsea Lodge http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d80083-Reviews-Chelsea_Lodge-New_York_City_New_York.html and the Chelsea Pines Inn. The latter features a certain gay flamboyance. Chelsea is well-located and full of art galleries, restaurants, bars and neighborhood stores, There are a couple of others in Chelsea; find them on Tripadvisor if the two above don’t have rooms.

2. Bed and Breakfasts. Some of these are very nice indeed. They feature a mixture of shared and private bathroom accommodations. These are a great way to live in a real New York neighborhood; the ones in the East and West Villages are especially recommended. You’ll feel like a New Yorker. Problem here is it’s hard to get a room since folks book these months in advance. These establishments are not impersonal, often quirky, and it helps if you don’t mind a little interaction with the owners. Best of these are East Village Bed and Coffee, Second Home on Second Avenue (perfect location near Union Square and oodles of subway lines!! Nice owner), Abingdon Guest House (West Village in Jane Jacobs country), Colonial House Inn. Here’s a link that includes others: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60763-c2-New_York_City_New_York-Hotels.html

3. Slightly shabby hotels that may have a fair amount wrong with them: gloomy lighting, bad plumbing and HVAC, scuffed furniture, sagging mattresses, occasionally a roach, and generally cheerless ambiance. However they’re clean and safe and often well-located. Best of these is Radio City Apartments, right near Times Square. Not fancy but satisfactory overall. Hotel 17 is another in this category. You may be pleasantly surprised if you don’t expect Hilton standards.

4. One hotel is so totally acceptable that the low prices are inexplicable and will almost certainly vanish. This is the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tribeca, and a cleaner, better-located place you can’t find at its price. Close to the subway, Starbucks, deli and subway right downstairs, near great restaurants, the World Trade Center, Chinatown, Tribeca. Rooms are tastefully furnished without luxuries and the staff is courteous. If they give you a room on the airshaft, just ask pleasantly for a room that faces Chambers Street or West Broadway; the views are great and the streets aren’t particularly noisy. This hotel is clean, clean, clean. Clean!! If you can get a room here, you might want to forget the others. (Sounds like I’m a stockholder doesn’t it? ;)) This is a regular hotel with an elevator; no on-premises owner to chat with.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60763-New_York_City_New_York-Hotels.html

P.S. For a splurge at a bit over $200 you can't beat the Hotel Beacon, Broadway, just up from 72nd Street. Location, great neighborhood, supermarket, kitchenettes, restaurants, one stop by express subway to Times Square. The creme de la creme of moderately-priced hotels.

intfvdh
October 14th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Thank you for this detailled feedback. I have a serious look into the links you wrote down.

I found a Comfort Inn, Long Island City and close to the subway with good reviews. Do you known it ?

Frank

ablarc
October 14th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I found a Comfort Inn, Long Island City and close to the subway with good reviews. Do you known it ?
Lengthy discussion on this one, entirely by folks who --like me-- haven't actually stayed there:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=125544#post125544

Included in the discussion is a link to Tripadvisor reviews by folks who have. Read between the lines a little on this one; you’ve heard of cognitive dissonance?

And at the end of the day, you're still in Long Island City, which is not a great place to be.

ablarc
October 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Pickwick Arms is a possibility in Manhattan. Very spartan. Almost like a youth hostel with tiny rooms: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d93358-r5828508-Pickwick_Arms-New_York_City_New_York.html

OK location in a fairly dull part of the East Side, and further than you might think from the subway.

Be sure you haggle the room price down from the quoted rate, which is too high. On a day the hotel's not booked solid, you might get the price down to as low as $100. This mixed bag gets better the more you hammer down the price, but try to stay on their good side while you do it.

BRT
October 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM
IMO, by far the best way to get a "cheap" hotel in NYC is to: 1. Spend a bit of time reading threads at betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com to learn strategies and low bid prices, and then 2. bid for a room on priceline.com. Although choice is obviously limited by design, you can regularly get Hyatt/Hilton/Crowne Plaza type hotels in the $115-130 a night range, and very tolerable hotels for even less.