PDA

View Full Version : move to NYC first, get job later: your experience

nydreamer83
October 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone here who moved to NYC or metro area first without having a job lined up? How was your experience? Something regrettable? I know everyone is different, therefore your luck will be different...but still..just weighing options..thinking about subletting until the end of the year to be closer for interviews....thanks!

daver
October 9th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I had a heck of a time trying to locate employment from across the country. I found it to be quite a pain in the butt. We piled up some money to cover living expenses for awhile, if necessary. My plan was to look for something for a bit, then take ANTYHING as the money started to run out. As it happened, I was offered suitable employment even earlier than I wished, it would have been nice to have a couple more weeks to settle in, but I can't complain, security is nice too.

NYC244
October 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone here who moved to NYC or metro area first without having a job lined up? How was your experience? Something regrettable? I know everyone is different, therefore your luck will be different...but still..just weighing options..thinking about subletting until the end of the year to be closer for interviews....thanks!

i did. the fact is i had a nice job in calif but i left to come to nyc.well..i went on the internet and i was s ending my resumes out and that's how i've got my job.first one in nyc.it was right off the columbus circle...i stayed there for a yr...went on my vac and some asshole took my place.then i went to work for someone else,but that was kinda-connection-job through someone...but i am still there.i've got my first job in sept...the worse time to look for job is july and august.and december too.anyway-good luck!

NYC244
October 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
oh yeah-there's absolutely nothing i would regret regarding moving in here.
my decision to do so,was a blessing.but..there's so much to it and not a proper place to spread my life story..but no regrets whatsoever!:)

nydreamer83
October 17th, 2006, 05:21 PM
i always wondered how people from middle america or the west coast or anywhere far from nyc just got and moved..i supposed they just packed up and moved and then worried about a job..well i should be moved in by next week..lets hope those temp assignments come rolling in..

lofter1
October 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
That's what I did way back when ^^^ Called the movers and loaded up the moving van back in SF and then got on a plane. I stayed with friends for a couple of weeks -- but I knew the van would be arriving by a certain date, which made me hustle to find a place to live ASAP.

It all worked out great -- I've been in that same place for all this time :) .

The first (good) work came a bit later ...

NYC244
October 17th, 2006, 08:37 PM
i always wondered how people from middle america or the west coast or anywhere far from nyc just got and moved..i supposed they just packed up and moved and then worried about a job..well i should be moved in by next week..lets hope those temp assignments come rolling in..

something like that.but some of us had families too.like me. and friends and steady partner of 10 yrs and good job and so on...but i still packed my bags and not only bags but my whole 2 bdrm apt...and spent good 12000$ just for moving all together.stupid as it may sound,what moved me was 9-11.in fact that's the day(to be exact-that same evening) i decided to go...everyone else was running away..and i was making my way in.sounds crazy i know,but..there's a lot of story to it...
good luck!

NYC244
October 17th, 2006, 08:39 PM
That's what I did way back when ^^^ Called the movers and loaded up the moving van back in SF and then got on a plane. I stayed with friends for a couple of weeks -- but I knew the van would be arriving by a certain date, which made me hustle to find a place to live ASAP.

It all worked out great -- I've been in that same place for all this time :) .

The first (good) work came a bit later ...

hey...another sf-an????that's where i came from too!!!:)

lofter1
October 17th, 2006, 08:56 PM
SF was a great place to live back then ... cheap, wild and (of course) beautiful -- hard to leave behind, but it was definitely the right move for me.

NYC244
October 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
sf was too small.i am also glad to be here.it was a huge step for the second time in my life but i feel it was the right one.if i ever move again-it'll be across atlantic.otherwise-i'd stay here.