PDA

View Full Version : HELP! moving to Manhattan

October 9th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Hello everyone!
I am new to this site and hoping you can help. My family and I (husband, self & 1 year old baby) will be relocating to NYC within the next 4 months from Ohio- yeah, big move! We will be living in NYC for 1-2 years for my husband's job. I am very overwhelmed about this move and hoping for some advice on neighborhoods, etc. My husband will be located in the financial district for his job, so we don't want to be too far from there. I like what I've read about Greenwich village and Soho. Just looking for specific buildings/streets/areas that would be best. We are looking for 3 bedroom, loft/exposed brick, near grocery, park, things to do with a baby & stroller. I am aware of what the rent is in those areas. Also looking for a recommendation for an awesome brooker to help us. We are planning a visit in nov. to look around and hopefully find an area we really like. Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated. THANKS:)

Schadenfrau
October 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM
You might have to give up on the loft/exposed brick specifications, especially if you're just looking for a rental. You'll probably want to add Tribeca to your list, as the housing stock in the areas you've mentioned is pretty tight.

Corcoran has listings in those areas starting at 12K:

http://www.corcoran.com/property/search.aspx?Region=NYC&RentSale=RU

And Elliman seems to have a place that's perfect for you for 8.5K a month:

http://www.douglaselliman.com/Listings.aspx?ListingID=815131&rentalperiod=&SearchType=apartments

Ninjahedge
October 9th, 2006, 06:35 PM
OR, you could look in Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Jersey City or Hoboken.

All have very fast commutes to the financial district (Subway or path train). My estimate would be about 20 minutes if you were close to the station (Path).

Pack light for your first month here, and look for another place as soon as you can. NYC does have a lot of stuff, but the best places are sometimes hard to find right away.

Front_Porch
October 9th, 2006, 07:19 PM
. . .and I will PM you words to that effect, since the point of these forums isn't generally to look for business.

Rental listings in NYC are shared (or "co-broked") so the important thing is to find someone you click with. Once you do, your exposed brick shouldn't actually be a problem.

You will probably be stuck with a fee, which is often 12% to 15% of a year's rent, and you may have to put together a forbidding but not impossible application package with letters of recommendation and financial info. This is part of what your agent is supposed to do for you, especially if you're relocating and documents are in five different places.

You did leave out the most important part of your request, which is whether you have kids and how old they are and whether you need access to the public school system.

ali r.

Front_Porch
October 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM
my bad.

ali r.

Front_Porch
December 5th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks wiredny for introducing me to 2504, she will be coming to NY in a month so everybody make her feel welcome!

ali r.
{downtown broker}

MidtownGuy
December 5th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Great news! Congratulations, and welcome to New York City! 2054, I think you will enjoy your life here! I'm very excited for you- Ohio to NYC is a major difference.
Cheers.