PDA

View Full Version : Moving- A few questions.

gman32888
October 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Hey,
Well this is my first post on a very interesting/ informative NY forum.

I am 18, and in my first year at Queens College/ Honors program. My parents promised me free med school, a car, and an apartment for going here, despite getting into some other very good schools.

My roomate and I are moving tommorrow, however we did not sign the lease yet. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Queens, and they can enlighten me on the area of Kew Garden Hills. My friends parents say "You will get robbed" with a very confident tone.

The exact area is near Kew Garden Hills Road or maybe its Kew Garden Road- Right near metropolitan ave. and 2 blocks to the Van Wyck however. Is that area decent? It looks fine to me and it does not look shady. Some of the houses are a bit run down but the area looks like its not busy (criminal activity). An alternate way of getting there would be going up hoover ave. over Queens blvd then making a left on Kew Garden rd (or hills rd, forgot what the full name is). Go down like 5 blocks and its on that street.

If you know anything about the neighborhood or have any sites with some good information on it please let me know. I would also appreciate opinions on what you think about two students living in that area.

PS - Our apartment is a 2BR in a 8 apartment building- We are on the first floor of the building. The windows have no bars and are suspended 9 feet or so from the outside, if you were looking up (first floor isn't ground level).

milleniumcab
October 15th, 2006, 09:35 PM
If you ask me , I wouldn't let my daughter live in that area. If you were up higher on Kew Garden Road towards Forest Hill and Kew Garden, It would have been alright.. But not that far down..

How much does it cost to rent this place?.....Do you have a car?..

The are aruond Queens College is nice but might be a little more money. If you want a place near this apartment you are about to rent, look into Middle Village, Kew Garden or Forest Hill.. Much nicer and safer areas..

shocka
October 16th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I agree with MilliienumCab, take a look at forest hills, nicer area and great fit for a college goer.

Take a look at http://www.parkertowers.com little pricey but safe and great building.