PDA

View Full Version : Do people in New York....

ironmike9110
October 16th, 2006, 07:30 PM
----

Schadenfrau
October 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I always hold the door for people, and I always thank people who hold the door for me. I think that's how the majority of people work here.

ThisIsntMyRealName
October 16th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Some people in NYC are basically A$$holes. They push and shove their way past you, steal your stuff, and honk, etc...

Don't worry, you'll fit right in.

lofter1
October 16th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I never really say im sorry or thanks or anything...not to be a d*ck, its just that i dont feel like saying it.

OK, you say you don't ever "say" sorry or thanks ...

My question would be: Do you ever feel regretful for some imposition you've put on others, or thankful for something that someone has done for you?

If yes, then you might find that expressing it doesn't take all that much effort, is usually appreciated and helps you to make some connection to your fellow human beings.

If not -- then indeed it sounds to me like you are what you say you aren't ;)

NYC244
October 16th, 2006, 08:52 PM
ever say please, thank you, excuse me, im sorry, etc.

I realized that where i live if someone holds a door open (i doubt people do that either :) ) everyone always says thanks all happily and peachy. Everyone except me. I never really say im sorry or thanks or anything...not to be a d*ck, its just that i dont feel like saying it. :D

So do they? or will i fit right in?!? haha :p

from my own experience-yes,very much so.now,it all depends on a part of nyc too.for example in the bx,not as much as for example on manhattan...and then it all depends on class of people you're dealing with and place too.;)
and yes they do hold door open.at least in the area i stick around(midtown)

milleniumcab
October 17th, 2006, 01:38 AM
You have all kinds in NYC...Most will make the effort to express themselves to your kindness...But I have learned not to count on that so when I hear a "thank you" , it is a bit more satisfying to say "my pleasure"...

kanopemainer
October 20th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Could the moderator please intervene and cut " ironmike9110 " off/loose.
He embarrasses the City populous, (and I am a Mainer ):mad:

New Yorker 06
October 20th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I say please all the time...

Please give me your wallet. Please stop peeing on that, it's mine. Stuff like that. :p

I realized that where i live if someone holds a door open (i doubt people do that either :) ) everyone always says thanks all happily and peachy. Everyone except me. I never really say im sorry or thanks or anything...not to be a d*ck, its just that i dont feel like saying it. :D

Jake
October 20th, 2006, 10:53 PM
^lol

I say all those things but don't mean any of them, I just say them to minimize the chances of someone spitting in my dinner next time. :p

I give up my seat many times every day. I give it up when I get off the R, then when I transfer to the 6, then when I catch the N, then when I get home.

Yep I'm just a great seat giving guy.

MidtownGuy
October 21st, 2006, 09:33 PM
When you're going through a door behind someone in New York, if you're close behind them, the person holds it for a second or two until you grab it. I think that's New York City etiquette no matter where you are. But they certainly can't be expected to stand there holding it and waiting. I will do that if it's someone old or frail, though.

Saying excuse me, sorry, thank you, and you're welcome are common here. We're actually very civil.

Gregory Tenenbaum
October 22nd, 2006, 05:49 AM

Oh my God. Am I reading this?

You will fit in in certain parts of London.

Did you go to school in the US? Ever remember your first grade teacher telling you that its polite to say "please" and "thank you"? (or your parents?) :eek: