PDA

View Full Version : top ten best things to do in NY in winter.

tonypolony
October 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM
The thread posted to cover "10 best things etc" is great, now how about narrowing it down for me and taking into consideration xmas, any ideas on starting a list please.
Musts are of coarse Macys, Rock Centre, 5th/6th ave. now help me out, and of coarse all the Brit visitors who fly over for the sights and the shopping.

pacz
October 17th, 2006, 02:00 PM
One of my favorite things to do in the winter is to go to the Central Park Zoo. It is less crowded and after seeing all the "cold" animals, is to go into the tropical rain forest, where it is hot and humid!

NYC244
October 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM
sometimes i just wanna be a tourist again...so i don't have to go to work on the cold ,wet,nasty winter days...just go do fun stuff:mad:

milleniumcab
October 17th, 2006, 09:19 PM
....To go to CP and walk around early in the morning after a snowy night.. It feels good to hear the sound of snow crushing under my feet as I walk around enjoying the beauty of untouched blanket of winter's white wonder.....

pacz
October 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM
....To go to CP and walk around early in the morning after a snowy night.. It feels good to hear the sound of snow crushing under my feet as I walk around enjoying the beauty of untouched blanket of winter's white wonder.....

If you do this later in the afternoon, or evening, then go to Evelyn Lounge, Columbus and 78th, and have a brandy by the fireplace.

milleniumcab
October 19th, 2006, 12:30 AM
That sounds good... I'll keep it in mind..:)

Canadian
October 19th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Are you going in December?
The Rockettes
The windows at Macy, Bloomy, L&T, Saks
The Christmas markets at Bryant & Union Square
Merchant House
St Pat's

January or February?
Paint the Town Red
Restaurant Week
Chinese New Year
Valentine's Day

Any Time
Museums, especially Frick
City Bakery, 3 W18, for hot chocolate with marshmallow
Walking tours like Big Onion
check nycvisit.com and jimsdeli.com for list of events

tonypolony
October 22nd, 2006, 09:45 AM
yes we are visiting from england from 4-14 dec, the lights are a must, there is a map to take in all the best shop windows etc, so thats high on the list, we are looking for a church to listen to xmas carols also.
rock platform is high on the list. we are staying in midwood in brooklyn to get a flavour of another borough, and away from midtown, although we love it we have seen it enough and want to spend time with new yorkers instead of tourists, not that we dont like tourists at all.
With the body clock probs we will be in bed by 9pm and up at 5 am for the first few days so ideas on what to do apart from eating breakfast is a real challange, in the spring CP was very busy even at 6 am, cant see it in dec!.
My wife is looking to do all things chrismassy during our stay, thank god for baggage allowance of only 25kg!!!

lofter1
October 22nd, 2006, 10:40 AM
My wife is looking to do all things chrismassy during our stay, thank god for baggage allowance of only 25kg!!!

Be sure to keep her away from DHL / FedEx ;)

tonypolony
October 24th, 2006, 03:01 AM
its ok she wont trust carriers, then again knowing Macys they might just sell the idea to her, better keep her away from there also!!!
Its the hot choc and dips that worry me most, get her in there and we might not be out for days.
We live part of the year in Spain so crunchy snow in CP sounds so fantastic, I havnt been out of shorts since april. cant wait to feel cold again.

Ninjahedge
October 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM

I like the powder "scrunch" sound over the icy crunch. Kind of that almost "squeek" sound when your feet step through powdery snow?

As for stuff in the city in winter? bryant Park ahs a rink as well as Rock and Wollman rink in CP (spelling?).

Aside from that, most of the stuff is all indoors. You know about the Macy's displays and such, but they are only a good 30-45 minutes worth of time unless you really like animated figurines....

Ironically, one of the best things i find for doing in the winter in the city is getting out of the city! ;)

lofter1
October 24th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Wollman Rink is now OPEN (http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=63684) for the season.

They are setting up "The Pond" skating rink in Bryant Park now. It opens October 27th (http://www.bryantpark.org/amenities/thepond.php).