PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With That?

New Yorker 06
October 20th, 2006, 05:45 AM
I understand that tourists are not familiar with the city, but why do so many of them seem so very unprepared and incapable? :confused:

I wonder this because I am constantly bombarded with questions. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked for directions by some clod holding his map upside down. I remember one occassion where I gave exact instructions; straight to the next block, make a left. Simple. He understood and spoke English, so there was no communication gap. He looked at me as if I'd just given him directions to Guam.

What gives; is the city that confusing, or are tourists too stuffed with cinnamon buns to think clearly?

daver
October 20th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I think people tend to be intimidated by the city, and everything about it. :confused:

Just a thought.

Or not, I dunno, but I do know what you are talking about. :D

lofter1
October 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM
For those of us who live in NYC it can be hard to realize how overwhelming the City can sometimes be to first-timers ...

A few years back I had a relative visiting and on day two she went out on her own for the first time -- ten minutes later she was back in the apartment: she had got caught up in the rush hour crowd on Broadway and the intense energy just freaked her out (after all these years at times it still freaks me out, too :eek: but I just push on through).

ManhattanKnight
October 20th, 2006, 09:41 AM
My favorites are the folks who drive into Manhattan (probably via the Holland Tunnel) without maps or any sense of geography, somehow wind up in the confusing streets of my neighborhood, the Far West Village, and stop me with requests for directions to places that no one should just be driving around trying to find -- Brooklyn, JFK Airport, Chinatown, the UN, "the" Barnes & Noble, Macy's, and Central Park, to name a few that come to mind. I mentioned this phenomenon recently to an MTA bus driver; he told me that he just tells drivers to head north on the West Side Highway and take a left at the GWB.

shocka
October 20th, 2006, 10:54 AM
My favorites are the folks who drive into Manhattan (probably via the Holland Tunnel) without maps or any sense of geography, somehow wind up in the confusing streets of my neighborhood, the Far West Village, and stop me with requests for directions to places that no one should just be driving around trying to find -- Brooklyn, JFK Airport, Chinatown, the UN, "the" Barnes & Noble, Macy's, and Central Park, to name a few that come to mind. I mentioned this phenomenon recently to an MTA bus driver; he told me that he just tells drivers to head north on the West Side Highway and take a left at the GWB.

HAHAHA that is great!

I agree people are overwhelmed by NYC, imagine coming from a place where there is no major city. You will have an intense case of culture shock.

Schadenfrau
October 20th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Are you new to the city, New Yorker06?

New Yorker 06
October 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Heck no. I'm a veteran by now. Moved to Queens seven years ago from Long Island. Big move. LOL

I've worked in Manhattan for 10 years. But even before then, I knew my way around the city from all the times my friends and I would go to see the Rangers. They'd usually lose, but we'd still go.

Are you new to the city, New Yorker06?

New Yorker 06
October 20th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I love it...

"the" Barnes and Noble. Right next to "the" Starbuck's.

Great post! LMAO

antinimby
October 20th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Despite what everyone has said so far, Manhattan is still very easy to navigate, arguably one of the easiest large cities.

The sequential numbering of avenues and streets makes it so simple plus they are in a rectilinear grid.

I find the hardest part of Manhattan to find my way around is Lower Manhattan where the streets are no longer numbered and becomes zigzaggy.

There are many other cities that are harder on visitors.

shocka
October 20th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Despite what everyone has said so far, Manhattan is still very easy to navigate, arguably one of the easiest large cities.

The sequential numbering of avenues and streets makes it so simple plus they are in a rectilinear grid.

I find the hardest part of Manhattan to find my way around is Lower Manhattan where the streets are no longer numbered and becomes zigzaggy.

There are many other cities that are harder on visitors.

NYC (with the Lower Manhattan Exception) is def one of the easier major cities to navigate if you have cross streets, but the one thing that throws alot of people off EVEN NYers is the numbering system on the avenues.

How many people actually know the Ave numbering system and can do it for every ave with out a table of the +numbers?

The Street numbering system is excellent on the other hand.

New Yorker 06
October 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM
All you need is a cross street. No table needed.

NYC (with the Lower Manhattan Exception) is def one of the easier major cities to navigate if you have cross streets, but the one thing that throws alot of people off EVEN NYers is the numbering system on the avenues.

How many people actually know the Ave numbering system and can do it for every ave with out a table of the +numbers?

The Street numbering system is excellent on the other hand.

shocka
October 20th, 2006, 04:57 PM
All you need is a cross street. No table needed.

us as NYers know to always get the cross street, but tourists more then often get the street address...

I have had too many co-workers come into NYC for the first time and not been able to find our office

i'll admit if you tell me an ave address, I will look at you with a blank face until u tell me a cross st

New Yorker 06
October 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Tourists don't get the cross street? So, I could tell them go to 14th street, when in reality it's at 88th? Excellent! I'll try that next time. :D

us as NYers know to always get the cross street, but tourists more then often get the street address...

I have had too many co-workers come into NYC for the first time and not been able to find our office

i'll admit if you tell me an ave address, I will look at you with a blank face until u tell me a cross st

Jake
October 20th, 2006, 10:49 PM
What really kills me is that people don't get where north is in Manhattan, it's the simplest damn direction with dozens of clues yet very few get it.

I don't mean the geographic north but rather if you see the ESB from anywhere in the city you can pretty much tell where you are.

I have told dozens of people how to get to my office and first, nobody knows where the hell the WFC is, and second they're completely clueless when it comes to lower manhattan. When I say just get to GZ, they're ok, and then they ask me if they should head towards the water. As stupid as that question is seeing as I just ASSUME they are at GZ I tell them yes, head west towards the water, but noooo, they always somehow end up at the South St Seaport. lol

Don't even get me started on the subway system. :D

shocka
October 21st, 2006, 02:35 AM
Tourists don't get the cross street? So, I could tell them go to 14th street, when in reality it's at 88th? Excellent! I'll try that next time. :D

how to mess with tourist.. thats a whole another topic!

JCMAN320
October 21st, 2006, 02:45 AM
Has anyone ever seen these type of tourists, I call them green light tourists. They will be at a corner waiting to cross and they have the right of way because the light is red, but instead they decide to wait patiently then they decide to cross when the light turns green when atleast in this part of the country that singles the cars to go. I have watched many people do this but I saw a person get stuck on one corner because they couldn't cross when the light was red for about 10 mins. WTF?!? lol.

Anyone else seen this odd behavior?

New Yorker 06
October 21st, 2006, 05:06 AM
I guess they never played red light green light 1-2-3 :p

Even worse is when they set up camp in the middle of the sidewalk. You'd think they purchased a square of concrete smack dab in the center of it. Or better yet, when they stand right in front of a doorway, oblivious to others trying to enter or exit.

I think there should be a law; all tourists must wear big signs that say "Tourists are dumber than they appear."

Has anyone ever seen these type of tourists, I call them green light tourists. They will be at a corner waiting to cross and they have the right of way because the light is red, but instead they decide to wait patiently then they decide to cross when the light turns green when atleast in this part of the country that singles the cars to go. I have watched many people do this but I saw a person get stuck on one corner because they couldn't cross when the light was red for about 10 mins. WTF?!? lol.

tdp
October 21st, 2006, 05:45 AM
[quote=New Yorker 06;126515]I understand that tourists are not familiar with the city, but why do so many of them seem so very unprepared and incapable? quote]

I can't imagine not trying to familiarise yourself with a few basics before travelling.

Personally, above 14th Street, New York is pretty easy - further south perhaps a little more difficult.

Doing it all on foot has got to be the best option though - the gridlocked feeling doesn't appeal to me!

JCMAN320
October 21st, 2006, 06:01 PM
lol yes 06 I have seen that. I think there should be a clinic for tourists to get those signs. :)

pacz
October 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
How 'bout the fact that if they have the do not walk sign, they never, ever step off the curb until they can walk? Although, it is easier to get ahead of them when they do this.

OmegaNYC
October 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I've never found NYC to be a hard place to get around. Yeah, at times it can be confusing, but over all, it is easy. I think tourist just get caught up in the whole "I'm in New York" feeling. Big buildings, lots of people, lots of traffic, can be punishing to someone from the middle of America. If you want a city that is hard to get around, try DC. I hear that town is tough even on people who are from there.

OmegaNYC
October 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Here in my hometown, you have people who do that all the time. Always cross the damn street when the light is green. If I'm in the city, and I see someone become roadkill on 42nd and 7th, I won't even feel a least bit sorry for them.

lofter1
October 24th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Please send us advance notice of your driving plans here in the city ^^^

OmegaNYC
October 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM
LOL. Lofter, I'm not talking about driving and running people over. (Though at times people can get under you skin to that point :) ) I'm just talking about the people who like to roll the dice, and run in the street when there is a green light. If they get struck down, why should I feel sorry? Don't they see the light is green, and I know they see the "Don't walk" sign.