PDA

View Full Version : Job search

okenzo
October 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Hello,

I'm a nigerian and planning to relocate to NY by february or march, I want to know how long it will take me to get a job when i arrive, will also like to know what it will cost me to rent an apartment for three i.e me, my wife and daughter.

I have a higer national diploma in mechanical engineering and have worked as a customer care executive for 3 years. So will it be easies getting a Job as technical operator/technician or a customer care/call center executive.

How long does it take to get the social security number and every other papers i require to get a Job.

thanks.

ManhattanKnight
October 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM
With only a few exceptions, US law does not permit a Nigerian national to come to this country for the purpose of seeking employment. You'll find all the information you need on that subject HERE (http://abuja.usembassy.gov/), under "VISAS."

NYC244
October 24th, 2006, 09:41 PM
well,weird because it's re. somoene else's weird situation.
so here we go;
if a person comes to ny,as a tourist(with just a tourist visa)and decide to stay illegaly in the city-what would happen? i mean as far as job,apartmant,i mean anything at all? what kind of life can she/he expect?
a lots of us told her already that this isn't very good idea,but i want your honest opinion..because most of you are from either ny or at least us citizens.i sent her to this forum,maybe she'll see this thread and understand!

New Yorker 06
October 24th, 2006, 09:57 PM
If I found out about an illegal, I'd report them immediatly. Do it the right way, or stay out.

well,weird because it's re. somoene else's weird situation.
so here we go;
if a person comes to ny,as a tourist(with just a tourist visa)and decide to stay illegaly in the city-what would happen? i mean as far as job,apartmant,i mean anything at all? what kind of life can she/he expect?
a lots of us told her already that this isn't very good idea,but i want your honest opinion..because most of you are from either ny or at least us citizens.i sent her to this forum,maybe she'll see this thread and understand!

NYC244
October 24th, 2006, 10:21 PM
exactly. I mean,what she can do here?there's no way you can have decent job,go to school,open an acct,ger driving license and so on...but some poeple think they are smart and it'll work for them.like thay don't wanna hear that this isn't going to work.and then,after you tell them your opinion-they even start arguing.

lofter1
October 24th, 2006, 10:25 PM
There are thousands of people working in NYC who do not have valid "papers" -- just listen to Mayor Bloomberg (http://www.nysun.com/article/35543), who has acknowledged that NYC would stop dead in its tracks if the government tried to drive out undocumented workers.

Would I advise you to give NYC a try by overstaying your visa?

No ... not unless you had some good friends that you could stay with, want to work hard in a menial job and have a thick skin to deal with the stress of having to think about looking over your shoulder all the time.

It is NOT illegal for someone to rent you an apartment. However it IS illegal for someone to hire you if you don't have proper documentation -- although that law is rarely enforced by the authorities and it's hit or miss as to whether a prospective employer will even ask for papers (more likely than not the work that would be available to you would be "under the table", so the employer isn't doing the tax paperwork either). By going that route you run the risk of working for someone who, having proven themselves less than scrupulous by the hiring of an undocumented worker, will possibly take advantage of you by overwork, underpay, bad conditions, etc.

NYC is tough -- but it also offers opportunites for those who are ready and willing to give it a try -- legally or illegally.

NYC244
October 24th, 2006, 10:37 PM
i opened a new thread for it.i noticed i posted my quest.under wrong topic...oops!sorry.

krulltime
October 24th, 2006, 11:36 PM
You can be Illegal in NYC (and the USA) but you run the risk of been deported back to your home country. But you will hardly get caught in NYC. It is a complicated city full of immigrants anyway.

Thousands of people have done it and are currently doing it. Usually what they do is find others from the same home country once they are here and talk to eachohter about jobs and the such and then they might be able to help you with a job or whatever is your needs.

Again you have to get in contact with someone from your own country once you are here. Find out where your coutryman and countrywoman live in the NYC area and then go there and start talking to people once you are here.

The only way to become legal once you are here is to 'fall in love' with a USA citizen and then marry them.

Good luck!

P.S. I love illegals and so I won't report you if I know you are one. :D Except if you commit a 'major crime.'

Anyway, I don't concider working your ass off a major crime. ;)

Schadenfrau
October 25th, 2006, 12:11 AM
If I found out about an illegal, I'd report them immediatly. Do it the right way, or stay out.

This is ridiculous. Again, between your shock at tourists and alarm with non-US citizens, I have a hard time buying that you're actually a New Yorker.

ravishinglylow
October 25th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Go get 'em tiger.

okenzo
October 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the contributions.
I'm coming in with a diversity visa(DV), my wife was lucky to be a winner of the lottery and the visa will be covering me and my daughter.

So how do i get started when i arrive.

Ninjahedge
October 25th, 2006, 09:04 AM
This is ridiculous. Again, between your shock at tourists and alarm with non-US citizens, I have a hard time buying that you're actually a New Yorker.

I think the 06 was indicative of how many days he was a New Yorker when he joined here.... ;)

ravishinglylow
October 25th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the contributions.
I'm coming in with a diversity visa(DV), my wife was lucky to be a winner of the lottery and the visa will be covering me and my daughter.

So how do i get started when i arrive.
Keep in mind that a portion of your wife's lottery winnings will be distributed to each person who replies to this thread.

I prefer cash in large bills please.

NYC244
October 25th, 2006, 11:34 AM
You can be Illegal in NYC (and the USA) but you run the risk of been deported back to your home country. But you will hardly get caught in NYC. It is a complicated city full of immigrants anyway.

Thousands of people have done it and are currently doing it. Usually what they do is find others from the same home country once they are here and talk to eachohter about jobs and the such and then they might be able to help you with a job or whatever is your needs.

Again you have to get in contact with someone from your own country once you are here. Find out where your coutryman and countrywoman live in the NYC area and then go there and start talking to people once you are here.

The only way to become legal once you are here is to 'fall in love' with a USA citizen and then marry them.

Good luck!

P.S. I love illegals and so I won't report you if I know you are one. :D Except if you commit a 'major crime.'

Anyway, I don't concider working your ass off a major crime. ;)

you're talking to me like i am the one!!!!honey,i've been living here for 20 yrs!i waited 4 yrs to get green card bask home when i was still tineager...:D :D i am asking re someone else,and not agree with it.get it?

New Yorker 06
October 25th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I am a New Yorker, a native New Yorker.

Shock and alarm? Those are false perceptions. I was simply expressing my opinion/experiences on those topics.

Schadenfrau
October 25th, 2006, 01:25 PM
No one asked you what you would do if you ever encountered a non-citizen, though.

If you want to get nitpicky, you're actually a native Long Islander. I don't think that people from Buffalo or Albany would go around claiming that they're native New Yorkers.

Personally, I've been here for twelve years and would still hesitate to call myself a New Yorker, especially when it's in the context of talking down to/about people.

Ninjahedge
October 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I am a New Yorker, a native New Yorker.

Shock and alarm? Those are false perceptions. I was simply expressing my opinion/experiences on those topics.

Nope, you just sounded kind of like the Russians perception of New Yorkers, that's all.

Ninjahedge
October 25th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Personally, I've been here for twelve years

n00b.

;)

New Yorker 06
October 25th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Not to split hairs, but Long Island is part of New York. My context is based upon my legal status in America. I was born here, thereby, I can say what I want in whatever fashion I want.

No one asked you what you would do if you ever encountered a non-citizen, though.

If you want to get nitpicky, you're actually a native Long Islander. I don't think that people from Buffalo or Albany would go around claiming that they're native New Yorkers.

Personally, I've been here for twelve years and would still hesitate to call myself a New Yorker, especially when it's in the context of talking down to/about people.

Schadenfrau
October 25th, 2006, 05:57 PM
It's a free country! Unless you're asking those Russians.

New Yorker 06
October 25th, 2006, 10:21 PM
It's only a free country if you're a citizen, or legal resident.

It's a free country! Unless you're asking those Russians.