PDA

View Full Version : Foreign language in NYC public schools?

Jake
October 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Two-part question:

I was just wondering when were foreign language classes added to the NYC public school curriculum?

Secondly, what were the default languages over the years?

Thanks, wonder if there are any people who actually had a good choice of languages, I know quite a few high schools offer French in addition to Spanish but outside of Stuyvesant I haven't heard of anyone offering German for example.

daver
October 25th, 2006, 01:44 PM
The seventh grader opted for drama class over a foreign language.

My sixth grader had his choice, he picked Italian. I can ask him tonight what else was offered to him. French and Spanish for sure, I don't know what else.

The first grader is being taught Spanish.

I dunno what the kindergartner is doing, but as long as he isn't getting me dragged into the principal's office, I'm gonna let it go.

As to when this started, I dunno. I can ask the teacher though.

NYC244
October 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM
my daughter is in second grade and there's no any offers yet.i hope,when she gets to middle school she can start learning her third language(she's fluent in two now)...see in europe(i finished school there)they give you kindergarten on a different language,so you can really start learning early..later on, from first grade to end of hs you have to(it's a must)take two foreign languages...mostly that's english and something else.