PDA

View Full Version : Lonesome visit to new york!?

federico
October 25th, 2006, 03:09 PM
dear all,
my name is federico and I will visit NY from Halloween on for one week.
It will be my first visit to the city. I'm from Cologne, Germany.

Since none of my friends are able to travel with my, I decided to fly alone.
I had to do so, I want to experience this city fascinating me since my early days.

Until now I have three points I like to do:
- Visit Mindless Self Indugence concert on Nov. 1st
- Visit Blue Man Group Muisical
- Visit a Basketball Game at the MSG

Maybe there is someone who likes to join me?
I would be greatfull about every company and hint!

Thanks a lot,
greetings from germany,
federico.

lofter1
October 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM
If you arrive before the evening of October 31 then you MUST experience the Village Halloween Parade on Tuesday 10/31:

http://www.halloween-nyc.com/index.php (http://www.halloween-nyc.com/index.php)

http://www.halloween-nyc.com/images/scenes/float1.jpg

lofter1
October 25th, 2006, 05:45 PM
You'll also be here for nyc marathon (http://www.nycmarathon.org/home/index.php) on November 5 ...

momum
October 26th, 2006, 05:10 AM
hallo federico,

meine wenigkeit ist auch aus köln und wir fliegen im nächsten märz nach new york :)

federico
November 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM
Arrived at 4pm, get through the controls at 5.30pm and reached my stay at 7pm. not bad!
I saw a bit of the parade, but i was pretty tired. Damn jet lag.
So I went up the Empire State Building for the Night Panorama and it was great. at 10pm I went to bed, but I couldn't sleep.
Now it is 2pm and Nov 1st. I'm sitting in the NY Public Library and writing this log.
In the morning I searched for a post office, but couldn't find any open, just two closed near the wall street. Any hints?

Also also visit the Staten Island Ferry and the WTC site this morning. Pretty amazing! Also walked through China Town this morning while the new goods arrived. That was quite another world.

My favorite place until now: Bryent Park

CU

baz@eccose
November 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
even though you have just arrived, sounds amazing already, never thought about that with china town, will be adding that to my to-do list when i go next year, hope to see some pictures soon when you get back, enjoy the rest of your vacation

baz

federico
November 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Yesterday after my Library Stay I went on for the Times Square, and how cool is this! Toys'R'Us had a DDR machine and a saw a real Pro on this.
I also find a Post Office there and brought 35 stamps (Big Family, Mam.). Now I just have to write all those postcards...
I want to visit a musical the next days, either Blue Man Group or Evil Dead.
The afternoon I went for the MSI concert at Studio B. Wow, drinks are really expensive here:
Beer - 1/3 litre - Germany $3.50, here $5
Drink - 0.2 litre - Germany $6, here $11

The band was fun, everbody jumps around wildly, A girls head was shaved by the lead singer. She seems to love it, well I guess only until she saw her mom afterwards.
I reached my stay, more dead then alive, at 1am.

This morning I went to Central Station and walk some blocks down to the Garden. On my way I went in to Macy's. Now I know what will be in stock in germany next year. It is really true that you have much nicer fashion here as in germany. I'd love to buy some stuff, but I guess that would be to much for my little CC.

Thats for now.
CU.

Ninjahedge
November 2nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Beer prices vary around town.

A lot of places will have most pint prices for decent domestic and imports at about $5 or $6. (1/2 liter)

Drinks vary, but mot mixed drinks ranging from $5 to $12 depending on how fancy.

Try looking around on sites like newyork.citysearch.com if you want to find some other bars that may serve some better beers at prices that will not make you a poor man!

ablarc
November 2nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Keep those posts coming, federico; really interesting to observe a visit in progress.

Ninjahedge
November 2nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Oh, BTW, I hope you are not TOO dissapointed in beer here in the US.

Teh only advantage we have is that we do not have the same ingredient limitations, so you can get some interesting combinations (like Mocha Porter, etc etc).

But Austria/Germany kicked butt when it came to beer availability and baseline quality.

And you are right, CT is another world! Hope you found a good noodle shop to have some great food at dirt-cheap prices!

Oh, I would recommend you take a night time circle-line tour before you go. I would also recommend that you dress WARMLY!!!!!! It is forecast for rather cool temps the next couple of nights (about 1-5 degrees celcius...).

As for shows? I loved Blue Man the first time I saw it. A lot of fun to watch. Expensive (like all of them) but verty entertaining (more than Stomp).

Have fun Mein Freund!

ablarc
November 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
Wow, drinks are really expensive here:
Beer - 1/3 litre - Germany $3.50, here $5
Drink - 0.2 litre - Germany $6, here $11
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11218

federico
November 3rd, 2006, 11:39 AM
no much time now to continue. only 45 minutes a day free internet access at the library and I used it for a chat with with girlfriiend (I Miss you so. Love.)
What I did.
- Met with a very friendly guy I met in this forum
- we went for the american art museum with a really great picasso and american artists collection.
- we had lunch at a very nice chinese restaurant for about 6 bucks which is very cheap for me
- in the evening we went for a bar like in the coyote ugly movie.

ohh, time is over. more details later.

Mimi
November 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Hey at all, I´m frederico´s girlfriend and I´m in Cologne now.
I miss him, but I think he will get fun anyway. I don´t know, if my english grammar/vocabulary is bad or good...
And it´s hard to ...(i´m missing a word) that in New York is 11am, and here is 6 pm and dark!

Ok, that´s it - bye and- I love you frederico!!

Bright Lights, Big City
November 3rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Maybe a morning spent somewhat off the tourist trail might be interesting to you?

If so, why not make it a point to check out Central Park one morning - but instead of checking out the south end of the park and then heading back to mid-town, check out the north part of the park, the woods, and make your way up to 110th St. From here, it's just a stone's throw away to some of the best soul food in the northeast - Amy Ruth's @ 116th and Lennox (just west of Lennox). I recommend the catfish, or the honey-fried chicken, or the ribs, or the chicken & waffles, or just about anything really!

When you're done at Amy Ruth's, the blocks just north of 116th west of Lennox hold some of the nicest old brownstones in Manhattan. This entire excursion would barely take three hours, and you would get to see a side of New York somewhat different from what you've seen so far. Not so many tourists north of 110th St.

If you enjoy your time in Harlem, you might want to take the scenic route back downtown - I'd recommend walking down Central Park W. all the way to Columbus Circle - some of the most beautiful residential apartments in the city - spectacular architecture and just generally a very nice walk.

Remember, NYC is a great city to walk around. Lose the tourist map and just get lost - it's always easy to find your way home in NYC.

peace

BL, BC

federico
November 4th, 2006, 12:02 PM
about getting lost in NY, meanwhile I'm really good at this and I agree that this is a lot of fun. For example today I found a movie set for the film "I am legend". Pretty cool.
And what is also great is the numeric street name system. Without this I would get lost in Brooklyn while searching for the Studio B and only having the adress. But due to the easy street name system I found this easiely.
I also went for the Blue Man Group yesterday, but it is not that good. The movie BORAT is much better.
I also pass the Brooklyn bridge. That is just amazing.
Today I think I go for Coney Island. I love the sea.
Monday is totally reserved for the Central Park. Maybe I can make it to go round it.
CU.