PDA

View Full Version : Cars that parallel park themselves

meer
October 30th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Lexus came out with a car that will parallel park for you.

What do you think... Great thing for city-dwellers? Another excuse for people to be lazy drivers? Somewhere in between?

ablarc
October 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Great thing for city-dwellers? Another excuse for people to be lazy drivers?
Both.

As a lazy driver, I also like power steering, cruise control and electric windows.

antinimby
October 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I'm not so sure that it can literally park itself.

I think the car will dumb-proof a lot of the tasks but the driver do have to do certain things as well.

Ninjahedge
October 30th, 2006, 03:01 PM
It can. The only thing it says is that you need to man the brakes.

I saw it in development on a cable news proggie about 2 years ago. Pretty neet idea!

It does not look like it would be able to handle a true NYC "parking by braile" kind of situation, but it is good none the less.

I am just anxious for long-trip autopilot. Something where they set up an automated system with lane demarcations and stuff for long interstate travel. Something that would be able to get everyone up to faster speeds (say 85) and still keep the distance if there was an accident (tire blowout, etc). It would allow people to pull on the freeway and then just swivel or recline their chair to read or watch TV, etc etc.....

It would not work on smaller roads and highways, but think of how much easier it would be for those long trips!

daver
October 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'm not so sure that it can literally park itself.

I think the car will dumb-proof a lot of the tasks but the driver do have to do certain things as well.
The thing literally parks itself.

"The Parking Assist uses sonar and a computer to make parking calculations. It does what almost no one does on the first try in a driver's license test. It just glides in. You must keep your foot lightly on the brake for it to work (that's the emergency backup plan). You also get a back view on a video screen on your dashboard. It doesn't jump the curb or bump the car behind. It doesn't curse."
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/10/26/Floridian/Sit_back_and_let_this.shtml

There is a video at this site:
http://www.ketv.com/news/10168532/detail.html?rss=oma&psp=news

Edward
October 30th, 2006, 05:50 PM
How ironic - the car would park itself - if there were parking spaces; owners of the wonder-car making circles around the block - same as before.

Edward
October 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM
What Manhattan needs is a car with direct linkup to satellite that can see parking spaces from space.

SilentPandaesq
October 30th, 2006, 06:08 PM
^^now that would be worth the price of On-Star.

I saw the commercial too, but I seam to remember seeing something about it a few years ago. At the time, the system only worked when you were positioned properly infront of the space. i.e. If you were too far up or too far away from the space, the system could not take over. So it looked like a hassle trying to get the car in the sweet spot so it could do its thing. Hope all that is fixed (yea, like I am getting one ).

Something tells me that the car is going to have a warning label on it saying "not for use in NYC" or "Use in NYC at your own risk".

ablarc
October 30th, 2006, 06:44 PM
^ There are only a few places left in North America where you can parallel park.

Ninjahedge
October 31st, 2006, 09:36 AM
What Manhattan needs is a car with direct linkup to satellite that can see parking spaces from space.

OR ones that you can simply get out at your destination and it would run off and park itself!!!

After driving to my wifes parents "congrats" dinner in frigging Queens (took an hour for a 20 mile drive) I spent 20 minutes looking for a spot!

I hate parking in the boroughs!

Edward
October 31st, 2006, 10:49 AM
On the other hand, forget about satellite; with a Manhattan parking ticket of $100 you can hire an immigrant at around $5/hr to sit in your car for the whole 24 hours - problem solved with American ingenuity, no Japanese wizardry required.

Ninjahedge
October 31st, 2006, 11:26 AM
On the other hand, forget about satellite; with a Manhattan parking ticket of $100 you can hire an immigrant at around $5/hr to sit in your car for the whole 24 hours - problem solved with American ingenuity, no Japanese wizardry required.

Sorry for saying this... but... Antiperspirant included? (I guess it all depends on what nationality they are and what they had for lunch!!!! You have a nice big plate of Vindaloo for lunch, I really do not want you in my car for 24 hours... ;) )

meer
October 31st, 2006, 01:55 PM
Sounds like an episode of Seinfeld to me.;)

Ninjahedge
October 31st, 2006, 03:35 PM
Sounds like an episode of Seinfeld to me.;)

Why yes!

Yes it is!!!!!

I guess I would also have to exclude anyone who swims in the East River, not that the two are related.....