PDA

View Full Version : What makes New York city so unique & compelling to you,compared to other cities?

KL700
November 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM
For both readers who reside in New York city
(or used to), or ones who don't reside there and never have, but just enjoy visiting NYC (and already have), what makes New York city so unique and compelling to you (socially, culturally, economically, architecturally and / or tourist wise), as either a city to reside in, a city primarily to visit for tourist purposes, or both reasons (compared to other North American and / or overseas cities that you also admire).

If this topic has been discussed here before, please give any forum threads (from this or any other similar New York related forums, if there are any), or feel free to quote anything you’ve read and kept on file about NYC, that you reckon answers the question. I haven’t visited New York myself, but intend to next year.

rickybobby859
November 7th, 2006, 01:42 AM
We'll I just visited New York City for the first time last week, and I have to say that in my opinion EVERYTHING made it a unique and compalling city. I've never been to any other big citys, so I cant compare it to them. But I just loved the whole face paced attitude of the big city life. I loved the resteraunts,customs, everything,lol. Theres just somthin bout the buzz and chaotic frenzy of the city. And New Yorks night life is unbelivable! The way the city glows draws me in like a fly to a lamp. It just hypnotized me, and I found my self overwhelmed with all of the possibilites in nyny.:)

Luca
November 7th, 2006, 02:38 AM
I think any answer to this question must be a complex one; if only because there are so many faces to NYC.

To me, it's visceral. But if I had to examine it I would say that the areas in and around the lower part of Broadway have a mix of architecture, humanity, commerce, urban form/texture as well a sheer scale that seems unique and irreplaceable. I have been to many prettier and certainly more humane places but if you like cities, and I do, NYC is an authentic alma domus.

Interesting thing about NYC's scale: it's never made me fell small; it makes me feel BIG. If you look at a picture like Stieglitz's (sp?) "City of Ambition" or read Ayn Rand's less ranting bits about NYC/skyscrapers you'll get my meaning. When I look at a Cass Gilbert building, I feel that there is a uniting thread between my renaissance ancestors, the gilded age and the modern people who have seen to the restoration of his work -- civilization.