PDA

View Full Version : Moving to New York from overseas

Disco Man
November 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone! I have recently applied for a job working in one of the large New York hotels. And its very likely I will probably get the job due to the large amount of experience I have in hospitality industry. It will be quite a big move for me as I am from Australia.

I had a look around some websites in regards to what's there to do in New York and what's it like etc. What I am worrying about is the living cost in New York as it seems quite expensive. My pay will roughly be about $800 per week. Would you guys be able to tell me whether that would be enough to live comforably in New York or not?

P.S: A detailed analysis on the various living costs of living in New York with $800 per week will be greatly appreciated. So it gives me a better idea of the various costs in New York. Thanks. :)

daver
November 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Will they let you live in the hotel? :D

$800/wk is $41,600/yr which is pretty low for living in Manhattan. I have no idea what taxes are like in Oz, but they are pretty high here. I'm sure you could do a roommate or find something reasonable in an outer borough. By most landlords formulas you will be looking around $1,000/mo max for housing.

Disco Man
November 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for replying to my post. I didn't know $800/wk is pretty low for living in Manhattan. Because if I am making that sort of money in Aus, I will be laughing very hard as its considered pretty good pay over here as $800 US = $1020 AUS. The taxes are pretty high in Oz as well as its roughly about 25% off the $1000. So I will probably be looking at $700 - $750/wk AUS. Which is still pretty good because with that salary, I can afford a pretty nice one bedroom apartment ($200 - $250 AUS) and still have plenty of money for my entertainment expenses.

I would say $1000/month AUS for housing is way too expensive. (And its even more expensive as in US dollars! hahaha!!!)

Yes, it would be nice if they let me live in the hotel when I'm there. Unfortunately, that won't be the case. As I been told by my agent that I might live in the hotel for the first few weeks. Then I have to go boarding or share a place with others etc.

Disco Man
November 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM
By the way, what sort of salary range would I need in order to live in New York comfortably? :confused: (When I say comfortably, I don't mean living the lifestyle like Donald Trump or Bill Gates. I mean that I can have my own place, afford various expenses and still have quite a bit of money for shopping, clubbing, drinking etc.)

rightwing
August 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I have been relocated from asia for months, and thinking about asking my gf to come over studying and to get married (coz she can come over wothout visa for 90 days but if she wants to stay here long getting marry seems like a good way for it, huh?).

I'm just wondering if we are married here and I pay her tutition, can it be detucted on my Tax? I am holding a workng visa but not making lots. Taxes, FICA- this and that are killing me. But I dont want long-distance relationship as well. Any good suggestion is very appreciated.

Oh, I am thinkng about moving to Astoria, Queens, any issue?

rightwing
August 21st, 2007, 12:20 AM
I have been relocated from asia for months, and thinking about asking my gf to come over studying and to get married (coz she can come over wothout visa for 90 days but if she wants to stay here long getting marry seems like a good way for it, huh?).

I'm just wondering if we are married here and I pay her tutition, can it be detucted on my Tax? I am holding a workng visa but not making lots. Taxes, FICA- this and that are killing me. But I dont want long-distance relationship as well. Any good suggestion is very appreciated.

Oh, I am thinkng about moving to Astoria, Queens, any issue?

January 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
I live in england but i've always wanted to move to ny.
How possible is this for me? I'm 16 & want to finish my education(university) here?
Thanks in advance :)

the_online_legend
January 29th, 2008, 11:24 PM
IM MOVING FROM AUS TOO!
Ok, so I am moving from Australia to New York in A MONTH! For expanding my career. It is a move I've always wanted to make. But all thats left to deal with, besides VISA's and my job, is place of living.
I've been saving for about 6 months and have approx. US$3,000,000 for accommodation. I want a top notch apartment (condo etc.) and I was wondering if I had enough money to go all the way and get one overlooking/next to, Central park?
For those city New Yorkers, whats it like?
Oh and what can I do about transporting my baby, my lambo?
I want a company I can trust with it.
Thanksx