PDA

View Full Version : Hi friends, I'm lookin' for anyone of you to talkin'.........

Roman
November 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM
My name's Roman, I come from Slovakia, Little country in Cental Europe. I', looking for anybody who'll be so kind to throw several letters about anything. We can change experiences, informations, photos to know cultures, life and more. 'Cause I need to communicate in english language and collectin' the informations from people livin' there. I'm preparin' to going to go to NYC for livin'

Vours truly Roman

ablarc
November 12th, 2006, 10:48 AM
...throw several letters about anything. We can change experiences, informations, photos to know cultures, life and more.
That's exactly what we do here, Roman. Why don't you get the ball rolling by telling us a little about Slovakia? I understand the country is being rapidly industrialized with a burgeoning auto industry, enjoys beautiful mountain scenery (show us the Tatry), and suffers perhaps from a corrupt government.

Many of us are somewhat familiar with the appearance of Slovakia, but can you show us some smaller towns, villages and the countryside?

Welcome to Wired New York!

lofter1
November 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I was lucky enough to spend a few weeks in your country back in '91 - '92 (when you were still joined with your Czech neighbors). I was there in December & January and, oh boy, was it cold :eek: . This was shortly after your break to independence following the collapse of the Soviet Union -- a hopeful but confusing time for many there.

One woman I worked with had just been told that the government was returning to her the family farm, land which had been taken away by government officials 40 years before (she hadn't even been born at that time). After that her family moved to Prague, where she grew up.

When she received the news she told me she wondered, "I'm a city dweller, what am I to do with a farm?"

Punzie
November 13th, 2006, 05:01 AM
One woman I worked with had just been told that the government was returning to her the family farm, land which had been taken away by government officials 40 years before (she hadn't even been born at that time). After that her family moved to Prague, where she grew up.

When she received the news she told me she wondered, "I'm a city dweller, what am I to do with a farm?"
Did you ever find out what she did with her farm? I'm especially interested in any obstacles to the farm's sale that were particular to the political/economic/social environment.

lofter1
November 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I haven't been back to Cz since that time ... she spoke about selling it, but back then that seemed like a somewhat remote possiblility as previously nationalized properties were being returned by the truckload -- the influx of outside money that poured into Cz in the mid-90s hadn't yet taken place (when I was there, other than cigarette advertisements, Prague didn't have ONE billboard for outside companies -- and the only non-Cz business to be found in the city center then was a tiny pizzeria run by some young Americans).