PDA

View Full Version : japanese town in manhattan?

Skyline
November 14th, 2006, 01:00 AM
trying to bring my ex-gf from l.a and i am trying to find out if there is any japanese town in manhattan area. i guess she feels more comfortable around her people.

Gregory Tenenbaum
November 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Not sure.

Would like to know myself.

"Around her own people" - thats cute. The Japanese are remarkably resilient people - try her around any people - Im sure it will be fine.

There are some great Japanese restaurants in Manhattan - with authentic chefs - just google it.

travelphotographer
November 14th, 2006, 07:31 AM
For japanese food, try 41 street, between Fifth Ave and Madison. Also East Village, google Sobaya, Sunrise Mart.:)

Schadenfrau
November 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Stuyvesant Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues is frequently called Little Tokyo, but that's kind of a joke. The area has a few Japanese markets and restaurants, but I hardly think that your ex-girlfriend would be surrounded by "her people."

If she's really asking about that, she probably needs to get over herself, which might be why she's your ex.

Skyline
November 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM
ok i guess she found it first before i did.... right across the bridge there is a city called edgewater and supposly there are many japanese people in that area.

rickybobby859
November 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM
man i love japanese food, its the best kind:)

Schadenfrau
November 14th, 2006, 11:26 AM
You're seriously wasting your time and money if you're flying across the country to hang out in Edgewater, NJ.

OmegaNYC
November 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
What's wrong with Edgewater, NJ? :)

Skyline
November 14th, 2006, 08:37 PM
You're seriously wasting your time and money if you're flying across the country to hang out in Edgewater, NJ.

shes not visiting. she will be living here when she arrives. asian people have this thing for wanting to be around their own people. not all but most. and its not because of any racist reason. its part of our culture.

Ninjahedge
November 15th, 2006, 09:05 AM
shes not visiting. she will be living here when she arrives. asian people have this thing for wanting to be around their own people. not all but most. and its not because of any racist reason. its part of our culture.

Um, no, it is racist. It is the same with the Chinese, the Russians, the Mexicans. We all have our own (good or bad) racially delineated opinions of other people.

But the main reason that we, as humans, clump lik ethat is because we are insecure pack animals that feel we need to stick with our own "kind". SO you get chinatowns, little italies and russian settlements in the bronx. You get haceidic (sp) neighborhoods, and clumps of Koreans moving to Fort Lee, Edgewater and Oakland... ;)

One of the saddest things I see is the reluctance of people to move out and mingle. Mix with other cultures. So few are willing to move into a generic mixed neighborhood because they somehow believe that they will be totally alienated.

So go on ahead. Let your friend move to overpriced Edgewater (mainly overpriced by the fear of many asians to live too far away from Mitsuwa Marketplace... :P

Or, just realize that NY has SO MANY asians all over in it now, that it really does not matter where you live. If you do not like your apartment, you GET OUT and find some people with a social group, study group, or one of dozens of different things to get involved in.

So I wish your friend luck, and I hope she ditches that pack instinct. It will do her well in life if she was not so fearful of something that will not hurt her.

daver
November 15th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I don't believe that it is part of the Asian culture to be around their own kind. If that was true, why would they ever have left, uh, Asia. It is just silly in today's day and age. Recognize the vast multicultural oasis that surrounds you and revel in it, rather than closing yourself to the opportunities presented to you.

Oh, and watch out for the Russian liquor store guys! :eek:
:D

ZippyTheChimp
November 15th, 2006, 09:26 AM
shes not visiting. she will be living here when she arrives. asian people have this thing for wanting to be around their own people. not all but most. and its not because of any racist reason. its part of our culture.Does she speak English, and has she lived in the US for a while?

Ethnic neighborhoods sprang up due to the need for immigrants, unfamiliar with the language and society, to find support groups. It may appear more evident among Asians because of the obvious appearance of the neighborhoods, but the same was true for Germans, Italians, and Jews.

Succeeding generations move out into the general population.