PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, going to college to NYC!

ligel
November 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Hello guys!

I'm not from NYC, but in 2007 I'll attending the Queens college. Can somebody tell me something about Flushing? How are the people there? Are the things expensive there?

Thank you very much!

Gery

daver
November 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Congratulations, and you can start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flushing_%28Queens%29

It is hard for me to answer "expensive" to someone from Hungary, as I have no frame of reference. I would say that Queens is "expensive" as compared to the mid-west of the US, but "cheaper" than, say, Manhattan or London.

antinimby
November 15th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Flushing is a diverse community. Recently, there has been a large influx of Asian-Americans into the neighborhood but there are other ethnicities as well.

ctman987
November 18th, 2006, 02:52 AM
I cant really tell you about Flushing but I can tell you that you have made a great decision by deciding to attend college in New York. I attend Manhattan College in the Riverdale section of the Bronx and this is a great place for me. When you go to school in New York you can walk or take the subway (in my case) and be at the center of it all for arts, entertainment, shopping and business. There is Rockefeller Center, Times Square, South Street Seaport, Chinatown, Little Italy, the MET, Central Park, and the Village to name a few for NYC students

ligel
November 23rd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys for the replies! I have one another question. Do the students get any discount on mass transit fees?

Thanks

Punzie
November 23rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Do the students get any discount on mass transit fees?
No, these are the only reduced-fare categories:

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/fare/rfabout.htm

ati_m
November 24th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Hmm.. Im hungarian too so, yeah I would say its a pretty noticeable difference in price point....

I mean if you refer to the living standard in Budapest and Queens and so on you will notice it too...

ligel
November 25th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Hi guys!

Yeah, the prices are definitively disparate in Hungary and Queens!

Punzie
November 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I know the Queens housing market inside out, but since I can't publicly give my credentials, then you might want site members to second my opinions.

I understand that you have to look at Queens housing/rental prices now, but keep in mind that the housing market during the holiday season, (November 24 - January 1), is a little different from the rest of the year.

Demand and supply is temporarily down, especially in the rental market, as you've probably figured out. Perspective buyers/sellers and renters/lessors -- those who happen to be not in a rush -- often don't bother to list during the holiday season. You just don't have as big a selection.

Some sellers have at least two extra reasons to be in a rush in December: the burden of holiday expenses and the new 2007 tax year. Those people in a huge rush are a double-edged sword. They are bound to offer you better prices/value and "extras". Some are great deals that are hard to come by; some are duds. It's essential that you or someone you know give the property an extra-super-duper-thorough working out if you're offered a great deal in December.

My apologies to the Queens realtors, brokers and lessors who are conduct quality business as usual in December.

I suspect that much of what I wrote goes for the other boroughs, but I'm not qualified to assert that.