PDA

View Full Version : A new subway line on the Riverside Drive?

mcmug_emak
November 16th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a student from Parsons and we are currently working on a proposal to build a new subway line on the Upper West side along the Riverside Drive. We need your help to gather information and different opinion of the proposal. Please help, any suggestion or opposition would be greatly appreciated.

Our goal:

To build a train tracks above ground or underground along the Riverside Drive to bring more people to the Riverside Park which has a beautiful view of the Hudson River and to meet the need of more transportation on the Riverside where many apartments and condos are currently undergoing construction. It is assumed that the new coming population will over crowd the existing subway lines which are the 1, 2, 3 on Broadway and A, C, B, D on CPW.

Ideal Train path:

It will start from Columbus Circle go West on 59th St until West End Ave and then it will turn North on West End Ave and continue on the Riverside Drive 72nd St and up.

Ideal Stations: (Uptown)

Columbus Circle
59th St & 10 Ave
West End Ave & 65th St
72nd St & Riverside Drive
79th St & Riverside Drive
89th St & Riverside Drive
92nd St & Riverside Drive
103rd St & Riverside Drive
112nd St & Riverside Drive

& More until the end of the Riverside Park.

Issues that will be concern:

v Noise of the existing trains (we would like to use new and different kinds of trains if the cost is reasonable)
v Will the community use the subway line to gain access of the Riverside Park.

& many more that you could bring out!!

And also will anyone knows any contact information of the Upper West side community board that would be helpful also.

Thank You Very Much!!

MrSpice
November 16th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I think you proposal is likely to be implemented by robots around 2120 or later. None of us here will live long ebough to see it happen.

lofter1
November 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM
... we are currently working on a proposal to build a new subway line on the Upper West side along the Riverside Drive. ...

Our goal:

To build a train tracks above ground or underground along the Riverside Drive ...

Are you talking a surface light rail?

If you're talking an elevated line along Riverside Drive then don't waste your time -- that's a non-starter.

krulltime
November 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
And also will anyone knows any contact information of the Upper West side community board that would be helpful also.

This is a place you can try... http://www.livablenewyork.org/

But I highly doubt they will want to help you on a new train line in their NIMBY neighborhood. Ofcourse if the city says otherwise then there is a posibility.

I live in the neighborhood and I will love to see a subway line plan for the area in the future though.

But I agree with what he says...

I think you proposal is likely to be implemented by robots around 2120 or later. None of us here will live long ebough to see it happen.

NoyokA
November 16th, 2006, 11:52 PM
There is no need for a subway line along Riverside Drive. The Broadway line already runs very close to the waterfront and the UWS already has two subway lines, the one that runs along Central Park West is almost always empty. What Upper Manhattan really needs is a cross town subway line.

ZippyTheChimp
November 17th, 2006, 06:56 AM
If I were going to build a subway line in this area, it would be south along Amsterdam, hook up with the IRT at W72 and Broadway and the #7 extension.

Your proposal is over 3.5 miles long, which would give you two crosstown tunnels.

daver
November 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM
All the stops are very close to the existing line on Broadway (like I don't think there are any that even reach 1/2 a mile by foot, most are less than half that.) The stated purpose is to decrease overcrowding on the existing lines, but what do you think will happen at Columbus Circle? Everyone on the new Riverside line would be switching to the ones you have tagged as overcrowded. You would just be transferring the problem down a couple miles. I would think it to be better to find a way to increase the capacity of the existing lines to alleviate projected overcrowding, since you will have to deal with it anyways under your proposal.