PDA

View Full Version : ``the boroughs``

hobo
November 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
:confused: I`m thinking of moving to the `BIG APPLE`,which would be the best borough for me to reside in and why ?:(

antinimby
November 20th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Tell us more about you and what you are looking for and then maybe we can point you in the right direction.

hobo
November 20th, 2006, 09:26 PM
many thanx 4 yor v quick reply mate.......I`m after a fairly safe & interesting locality....if possible.(By the way ,excuse my ignorance but who is Lord Foster and r you really his lover....m or f...?).:o

daver
November 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM
What kinds of things are interesting to you? What kind of rent can you support a month (remembering that the general standard in NYC is 40-52x rent in annual income)? Do you have employment, and if so where and how long are you willing to commute?

bqexpressway
November 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
is this 40x-52x figure based on entire earnings or take home? If I make 60k but only take home 40k and pay 1000 a month for a room in Manhattan, I'm still within the reasonable limit, I think. I still have a good amount of disposable income (I should be saving but lifes too short), if I didn't, manhattan would just depress me because I'd be in over my head daily. So many young people live off ramens, pb&j's and forties just to live in the E/W. Village and spend practically all their money on rent. Face it, you could live so much larger in Astoria and take the N/R downtown in 25mins!

daver
November 21st, 2006, 04:05 PM
When I've been evaluated in this fashion they run 40-52x against gross annual income. EVERY place I've tried to get into, even some guy renting out his mom's place since she lives with him now has run my credit score too. FYI. I suspect that is pretty standard everywhere now. Getting into a place typically is three months rent, one month for first months rent, one month for security, and one month fee. If you have bad credit they will still let you in sometimes, but they might double or more the security deposit. You can also find places without the fee. I typically amortize the fee by dividing by twelve and adding it to the rent in order to compare fee vs. no fee places. I've also successfully negotiated rent breaks (5-10% total over term of lease) for paying a couple months up front on move in. FWIW. It also helps them approve you sometimes...if you have it.

ryan
November 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM
My landlord didn't run my credit - just shook hands and asked for one month's security and one month's rent. He didn't care that I didn't have a job at the time either. Not every situation is so structured

daver
November 21st, 2006, 04:16 PM
My landlord didn't run my credit - just shook hands and asked for one month's security and one month's rent. He didn't care that I didn't have a job at the time either. Not every situation is so structured
Totally true, you never know. My previous landlord wanted check stubs, employment letter, bank account balances, etc. in addition to credit check. My most recent one initially asked for about the same, but when my credit came back good then that was it, he didn't need or want anything else, just signed us in.

antinimby
November 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM
(By the way ,excuse my ignorance but who is Lord Foster and r you really his lover....m or f...?).:oThat's between myself and His Lordship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Foster%2C_Baron_Foster_of_Thames_Bank). :D

Punzie
November 24th, 2006, 04:58 PM
:confused: I`m thinking of moving to the `BIG APPLE`,which would be the best borough for me to reside in and why ?:(

Queens, without a doubt. It is the ultimate melting pot. Whatever nationality/religion/ethnicity you are, you will find some people who speak your language and worship like you do.

Most of Queens is safe. Some areas are costly and others are affordable. If you don't drive a car, you live in the areas by the subways and buses. If you do drive, you have the whole borough.