PDA

View Full Version : Winter Attire

Lance
November 21st, 2006, 12:43 PM
What are the essentials for work attire during the winter in manhattan? Are there any special shoes for walking in the snow and ice? What kinds of coats do people wear? I haven't found a place to live yet but I'll likely be walking a few blocks and taking the subway down to work in Midtown. I have plenty of suits and the like but I'm grossly unprepared for the winter weather I'll encounter. Any tips for a warm weather guy?

OmegaNYC
November 21st, 2006, 12:52 PM
just wear anything black. :D

Front_Porch
November 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM
If you wear suits to work, you wear what my parents would call "a dress topcoat" over them -- a 3/4 length cloth coat. Cashmere is great, if you can afford it; if you go to a vintage store you can probably get a cashmere/wool blend cheaper than a new wool.

On weekends, a ski parka: Columbia and North Face are popular brands, LL Bean is good too.

For shoes, a pair of ankle-high boots with a waterproof Thinsulate lining (i.e. "duck boots"). If you have to dress up, you switch these with your dress oxfords if you're at work.

If you're prone to be cold, your two secret weapons are: 1) a ski hat (which will make your hair look dorky, but totally worth it; and 2) silk or capilene t-shirts under your clothes. Layers are totally key.

Lance
November 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, doesn't take too long to figure that one out.

NoyokA
November 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM
When I lived in the city I would wear a black pea-coat, black leather gloves, and leather walking shoes/boots. I still weat the same in Buffalo, although I'm now the minority. Not everyone in the city wears the same thing, but nearly everyone does.

Punzie
November 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Lance, are you someone who tends to be hot more of the time or cold more of the time? You might have to think a bit about the answer, because there are very few people who are right in the middle.

Which type of guy you are determines what we would recommend. For instance, if you tend to get hot easily, the cashmere and wool sweater suggestion is not for you.

milleniumcab
November 24th, 2006, 07:50 PM
What are the essentials for work attire during the winter in manhattan? Are there any special shoes for walking in the snow and ice? What kinds of coats do people wear? I haven't found a place to live yet but I'll likely be walking a few blocks and taking the subway down to work in Midtown. I have plenty of suits and the like but I'm grossly unprepared for the winter weather I'll encounter. Any tips for a warm weather guy?

It doesn't matter how you dress but you have to remember one thing and one thing only....LAYERS...

Lance
November 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'm probably more prone to being hot than cold but I live in the southwest so it's sort of relative.

Can anyone provide a picture of a "duck boot"? So people actually wear a different pair of shoes when it's raining/snowing and then change them when they get into the office?

Lance
November 27th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Duck Boot = http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Rattlesnaker/duckboot.jpg

NYC244
November 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM
do we need winter attire this yr????it doesn't seem like it.:)

d

Ninjahedge
November 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
What is it oputside right now? 60 degrees F?

daver
November 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM
do we need winter attire this yr????it doesn't seem like it.:) Certainly haven't needed it yet. As we were standing getting soaked all through at the parade I kept telling the family, "Well, at least it's not cold..."

Wet folks can be violent.

In answer to the other question, I would say that I see far more people wearing what they wear on their feet. Having said that, I do see a decent amount of people changing from "outdoor" to "indoor" footwear- especially women.

If I were wearing $600 soft Italian leather shoes made from the skin of a fattened calf's bottom, I would sure keep them in my bag and change out of my stompers in the office.

daver
November 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM
What is it oputside right now? 60 degrees F?
It has GOT to be over 60. It is very warm. I had ice overnight on Sunday AM though, so... I dunno. It was warm yesterday afternoon too.

MidtownGuy
November 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM
It's nuts. My window flower box still has flowers...no defoliation. I haven't had the heart to rip them out yet and put in an evergreen. I love this weather. More winters like this and I'll be planting a little palm tree out there.

daver
November 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
AC just got flipped back on in the office. It is now decently colder in here than it is outside. Glad I brought my jacket...:rolleyes:

ablarc
November 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I love this weather. More winters like this and I'll be planting a little palm tree out there.
The upside of global warming.