PDA

View Full Version : The uk- Bloody ridiculous sometimes...

Kitty-london
November 23rd, 2006, 06:54 AM
Just need a mini rant, Please feel free to debate and chip in your penny's worth! Dont know the facts to go into huge detail, but last week the wonderful politics and brains behind britain decided to let PRISONERS who were heroin addicts, sue the government and prison service for infringing upon thier human rights and making them come straight off heroin in prison.. Erm, you are in prison, hello! The prisoners won their case and were awarded a monetary settlement.

The next new idea is to give free heroin to heroin addicts, in the hope that this will prevent them stealing etc to feed thier habit..Im sorry but, what? does that mean alcoholics should be given complimentary free beer, or smokers free cigarettes!? Really do sympathise with addicts, but they need help and money spent on rehab etc do they not?

Schools are now being told they cannot hold the annual "christmas play" as it discriminates against other religions etc. The turkey served at thier "holiday lunch" should be halal.

Sorry i know its not a very fact based rant but its just so frustrating when we have real probelms with the nhs, schools etc, and our circus of a government does ridiculous things! I love my country to bits, but its so disheartening to see these things happening. ok, and breathe x

Marksix
November 23rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
...you never mentioned British Airways banning their Christian staff from wearing their crucifices!

ablarc
November 23rd, 2006, 10:37 AM
All this political correctness... and yet here come the portable fingerprinters.

Two sides of the same coin?

Luca
November 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
All this political correctness... and yet here come the portable fingerprinters.

Two sides of the same coin?

- Addicts suing: EU law features a charter of human rights which is arguably hyper-indulgent. If a member country, like the UK, features courts that are interpretive/equity-oriented and asymmetrically formalist then this sort of thing will happen. It does not happen elsewhere (French ban on headscares in school is soooooo blatantly a transgression of HR charter) because the courts are beholden to the xecutive and essentially treat EU law as na optionals et of broad guidelines, cynically.

- BA case: it is an example of reverse discrimination. Muslims in the UK have developed an effective mechanism for fabricating, and creating reaction to grievances. White Christians have the tabloids on their side (with firends like those...) and nothing else. it becomes clear to UK politicians that a school X-Mas ban loses 2/3 of the councillors their seats, things will change. Not before.

- Fingerprinting more broadly: Lacking positive security, an entity resorts to passive security. Within positive security, lacking access to either repression or competent prosecution, the entitty in question resorts to more eprvasive detecting/monitoring. Why are you people surprised? These things work like physics/economics. They are almost mechanistically cause-effect.

Gregory Tenenbaum
November 24th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Wow. What can I say?

"Yes yes, but would you live there?"

;)

Marksix
November 24th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Wow. What can I say?

"Yes yes, but would you live there?"

;)

no - i'm emigrating