PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a real estate broker?

sean
November 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Anyone have a good experience with a specific one? I tried the craigslist thing but I dunno, seems half those people are working out of their mother's basement.

Anyway... I have a few options and I'm not sure if I want to rent or buy. I don't even know what neighborhood I want to live in. I have some ideas. Hopefully someone can advise me.

shocka
November 26th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Well here is some quick advice, if you buy you should have about 20% to put down + about 3-5% for closing + moving/furniture expenses

Many people will say you can get a condo with 10%.. PERSONALLY... i think if you put less then 20% down its not a good idea to buy, since your monthly will be substantially higher then the rental market. I have noticed that with 20% you are about $100-$200 away from rental rates, depending on Maintance/Taxes.

Also if you are in a rush, rental might be the way to go. DO NOT settle when you buy. And if you rent, I have couple friends who swear rent-direct.com to be the way to go.

Good Luck,

Shocka

sean
November 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I was gonna try to weasel in 0% down, I don't have any savings. I'm sure they can offer me something. I don't belong to any credit unions or anything but its worth a shot. I just hate the idea of settling for a decent neighborhood and lining my landlord's pockets, when I can have my own real estate investment in a nabe of my choice.

Punzie
November 26th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Go here to look at properties:

http://www.realtor.com/Default.asp?poe=realtor

This is the official website of the National Association of Realtors.

If I remember, you're looking at Brooklyn. First type in "Brooklyn" to get an overall view of all the site's co-op/condo offerings. (There were 880 when I just checked.)

Then, to get the neighborhood of your choice, do a search by zip code.

There's a lot of info on financing your property, because hey, the realtors want you to buy.

Front_Porch
November 26th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Agents usually specialize in social networks ("all the people I used to know when I was a lawyer") or neighborhoods ("in Cobble Hill since 2001").

If you don't have savings and don't want to make a down payment, you should probably pick a neighborhood and try to meet neighborhood agents.

The best way to do this is by visiting open houses (which also helps you learn about what's available and how much it will cost) and talk to the agents who are running the open houses.

If you visit half-a-dozen open houses, I'm sure you will find an agent you hit it off with.

Good Luck!

ali r.
{downtown realtor}

sean
November 29th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Still no recommendations... :\

No one here was impressed by their last real estate broker, huh?

daver
November 30th, 2006, 08:09 AM

I think you received some good advice regarding figuring out what neighborhood you want to be in by visiting open houses and then finding a neighborhood agent. If you were to ask for a good agent for the West Village, for instance, I think you would stand a better chance of getting a specific recommendation. You are better off if you figure out where you want to be and then finding an agent for that area than just finding an agent that "does" all of Manhattan.

Front_Porch
November 30th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I responded to your PM, sorry I'm so slow but my real life is taking time away from my electronic life.

I'm not experienced in the areas you're looking in (Marine Park, Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge) so I recommended Fillmore (www.Fillmore.com) as a real estate brokerage with a lot of good local connections.

I also recommended that you try to save some more $$$, because clients who don't want to put any money down can be difficult to place -- and you might not get the best service if you lead with that.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

Punzie
December 1st, 2006, 03:11 AM

Sean, I'm going to take a shot in the dark. I dunno, maybe broad daylight: I reckon you're not spending enough time doing research on this. I think that you're going to the quality websites on this subject, posting a question, and hoping that some member comes up with just the right broker.

It's time to do more proactive research. You need to schedule a certain amount of time every day to hunt for a broker. This is a JOB.