PDA

View Full Version : what college(job)?

NYC244
November 27th, 2006, 11:27 PM
ok,i live here,i am not one of the tourists or wannabe newyorkers..:D
but,i am sick and tired of my job..and would like to change my career.and in order to do that,i'll have to start from zero. that's right-Z-E-R-O!
so...i am medical tech,but i don't do this at the moment.neither i'd like to continue,unless i become an reg. nurse...but beside that-what do you all ny people think-what goes real good in our city????i mean,if you'd have to choose college right now,what it would be? just look that it's something that pays,that's easy to get into(after graduating) and something that's not going to 'stop hiring' sometimes soon...i mean-something worth it.i know,computers are hot but i don't know anything about it and it's not for me.i love psychology,but...is it worth it? help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryan
November 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
If you like nursing, go for it. There's a worldwide shortage, so pay and job security would be great. I have a friend with a masters in nursing and he has a good-paying, interesting research job. Apparently there are lots of job opps worldwide (though he wisely turned down six figures in Saudi Arabia a few years ago...)

Generally I think you should go after a job you love. Money takes care of itself, but happiness doesn't.

MrSpice
November 28th, 2006, 03:21 PM
ok,i live here,i am not one of the tourists or wannabe newyorkers..:D
but,i am sick and tired of my job..and would like to change my career.and in order to do that,i'll have to start from zero. that's right-Z-E-R-O!
so...i am medical tech,but i don't do this at the moment.neither i'd like to continue,unless i become an reg. nurse...but beside that-what do you all ny people think-what goes real good in our city????i mean,if you'd have to choose college right now,what it would be? just look that it's something that pays,that's easy to get into(after graduating) and something that's not going to 'stop hiring' sometimes soon...i mean-something worth it.i know,computers are hot but i don't know anything about it and it's not for me.i love psychology,but...is it worth it? help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Computers are only hot if you have really good experience, as many of the junior jobs are now outsourced. Anything in the medical field is hot and will be only hotter as more people in the US and New York retire (babyboomers will retire in droves in the next 10 years and the population will be getting older which is good news for any profession concerned with medical care).

The other businesses with high demand and good salaries in NY have to do with finance. It's more difficult to start from scratch in the financial areas as they like to hire best students out of best colleges. At least, that's what they prefer.

If you are really serious about psychology, get a MS but better yet a PhD frmo a good school (will require a real committment/excellent test scores/good recommendations and hard work), and work as a counsellor/shrink. There's always demand for good psychologists in a city where most people are under constant stress and have a lot of money to spend.

Xemu
November 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Some suggestions:

FDNY EMT: I've heard from people that the money's pretty good to start (like around 40ish), and it's in the medical field. Also, it's a pretty macho job (if you're into that kind of thing). You just got to be able to handle the gore.

Biomedical Engineering: I think this is gonna be a real growth area in the future. As the boomers age they're gonna need lots of mediacal gadgets and equipment to keep living the active lives they've come to expect. Somebody's got to design 'em, could be you.

Adaptive Tech: Same as biomedical engineering but for the disabled. This seems like a pretty interesting area to go into.

Lab Tech: These jobs are good, I've worked in them all my (short) life pretty much. The hours and benifits are great (though job security can be iffy as most funding comes from the federal govenment). The problem is that you can advance to a certain level, such as Lab Manager, but after that there's pretty much no higher to go. It's not a career (nor is EMT for that matter).

Hope this list is helpful. I suggested med jobs 'cause that's the field you're in now. I've been thinking about a career change myself recently and just like you I'm having trouble figuring out what to be. Though I'm leaning towards architecture...:confused:

NYC244
November 28th, 2006, 10:03 PM
and i am not that young either...so i'd really like to go for something that will not take more than 4 yrs...since i've been in med field since 95...maybe i should stay within that.but,am i crazy about it?no.see,i love creative jobs...like make up artist..but there's no really money in that unless you are excellent...so i shouldn't just throw money out for nothing.psych. is kind of interesting to me,but...will i ever find a job???i mean,something more than some sort of social worker(they pay very low)?
i don't know...as far as that emt...i am not macho at all...that's not me.:)

MrSpice
November 29th, 2006, 11:10 AM
and i am not that young either...so i'd really like to go for something that will not take more than 4 yrs...since i've been in med field since 95...maybe i should stay within that.but,am i crazy about it?no.see,i love creative jobs...like make up artist..but there's no really money in that unless you are excellent...so i shouldn't just throw money out for nothing.psych. is kind of interesting to me,but...will i ever find a job???i mean,something more than some sort of social worker(they pay very low)?
i don't know...as far as that emt...i am not macho at all...that's not me.:)

I see several problem with your logic:
1) You're saying that you're not that young. I guess you're around 30. Is that correct? That's a very good time to do a PhD or Masters in Psychology if you really like it. You can even start in the evening. You are looking at it as if it's 4-5 years lost. But studying is interesting and will enable you to have a different and possible a more satisfying career. I know one person who decided to become a lawyer when he was 36. He passed the LSAT, finish the law school in the evening and at 40 started his career as a real estate lawyer and is very successful at it. If you have the energy and the desire to change your career, there are lots of opportunities in this country and plenty of master's and other professional programs that take from 12 to 24 months to complete.

2) You have to be good at any job in order to succeed. But in some other jobs it is more difficult. It seems like you don't really know what you're looking for. In order to change the course of life and have a new career, you need energy and a real desire to do it.

NYC244
November 29th, 2006, 01:07 PM
well,i am 38 to be exact but no one would ever tell more than 28!;)
i do wanna go to school but i do have kids(below 8)and i am single parent.i do have my parents who are with kids while i am working-so i can't ask for better...as far as the kids are concerned,but money is the problem too.classes are expencive and i can maybe afford just a minimum...maybe,just maybe i could talk to my parents somehow,so they can help me with money...but i really wanna go to school and become something better than what i am now.and really-psych is very interesting to me,but i am affraid how am i going to manage full time job,family and school and still finish on time(or close to time)...if i could change my ft to pt employment-so i can br comfortable with schooling-i'd be happy..because i'd really wanna do it while my folks are around and while i have help with kids.later-i will not be able to.
do you know anything about psych schools around here?with aa degree,what can i do?at least ...

I see several problem with your logic:
1) You're saying that you're not that young. I guess you're around 30. Is that correct? That's a very good time to do a PhD or Masters in Psychology if you really like it. You can even start in the evening. You are looking at it as if it's 4-5 years lost. But studying is interesting and will enable you to have a different and possible a more satisfying career. I know one person who decided to become a lawyer when he was 36. He passed the LSAT, finish the law school in the evening and at 40 started his career as a real estate lawyer and is very successful at it. If you have the energy and the desire to change your career, there are lots of opportunities in this country and plenty of master's and other professional programs that take from 12 to 24 months to complete.

2) You have to be good at any job in order to succeed. But in some other jobs it is more difficult. It seems like you don't really know what you're looking for. In order to change the course of life and have a new career, you need energy and a real desire to do it.

MrSpice
November 29th, 2006, 03:26 PM
well,i am 38 to be exact but no one would ever tell more than 28!;)
i do wanna go to school but i do have kids(below 8)and i am single parent.i do have my parents who are with kids while i am working-so i can't ask for better...as far as the kids are concerned,but money is the problem too.classes are expencive and i can maybe afford just a minimum...maybe,just maybe i could talk to my parents somehow,so they can help me with money...but i really wanna go to school and become something better than what i am now.and really-psych is very interesting to me,but i am affraid how am i going to manage full time job,family and school and still finish on time(or close to time)...if i could change my ft to pt employment-so i can br comfortable with schooling-i'd be happy..because i'd really wanna do it while my folks are around and while i have help with kids.later-i will not be able to.
do you know anything about psych schools around here?with aa degree,what can i do?at least ...

Depending on the kind of education you pursue, it may be free or cheap. CUNY schools are cheap and PhD programs are not only cheap, you often you can get a fellowship - not much, but enough to survive. Frankly, if you have to beg your parents for education at 38, you have a problem. If you feel strongly that you need to study and will do well academically, there are plenty of loan and grant programs that can help you with the costs.

You cannot get all the answers on this forum. You have to be proactive and do some reasearch on your own. Go to the colleges and talk to advisors and get detailed information about degrees, costs and potential job opportunities. Maybe you can get a degree where some of your work experience can be utilized. There are plenty of books on this subject at your local Barnes and Noble and at your local public library. With the attitude like the one you're projecting (i.e., I am too old, have too many problems, don't know anything..), you won't be able to change your life.

I saw some immigrants who came here at 40-45 years old without any English and without any applicable work experience turn their lives around in spite of all the adveristy. The unemployment rate in this country and in NYC is one of the lowest on record. There are lots of opportunities here. So, it's really up to you.

NYC244
November 30th, 2006, 02:50 PM
YEAH,I UNDERSTAND...but i am still paying the first loan(from college i went to to become clinical/hospital medical technician...which it's ok job but doesn't pay bills...i'll see..i did research las year and no matter how i put it around i couldn't go because some thing or the other.all i really need it's pt job (3 days)and the rest-classes.so i can make some money and have time to study.i work from 9-7 each day and there's not much time for anything after that.i'll see...but i have to do it.thanks anyway.

Punzie
December 1st, 2006, 02:54 AM
*Gets into serious mode*

I'm going to ask you a question, but I don't expect for you to answer it publicly.

Is the father of your children giving his fair share of child support? Are you sure?

If it turns out that he is not giving his fair share, does he have the means to give more? If so, you should obtain it. That extra amount of child support would mean more immediate school/career options for you.

MrSpice
December 1st, 2006, 11:41 AM
I can suggest a physicial assistant or nurse as a possible future career as it's close to what you're doing and you can probably get credit for many of the courses you took in college. If you really like psychology, I would suggest taking a couple of evening course at a CUNY school since it's quite cheap and you can use those as credits if you decide to pursue that study for a degree in the future. You may dream about psychology, but once you start studying it for real, you may not like it. Take a an evening class may help you understand whether your passion really lies there.

NYC244
December 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM
well,not,not enough actually.in fact,he wouldn't give it at all but the state takes it out of his paycheck every two weeks...he doesn't live in ny.and there's no contact between us at all.

*Gets into serious mode*

I'm going to ask you a question, but I don't expect for you to answer it publicly.

Is the father of your children giving his fair share of child support? Are you sure?

If it turns out that he is not giving his fair share, does he have the means to give more? If so, you should obtain it. That extra amount of child support would mean more immediate school/career options for you.