PDA

View Full Version : a section for New York culture plz

Marksix
November 28th, 2006, 09:09 AM
How about a forum section that specifically covers New York culture? i.e. New York iterature/authors, the music scene and the greater arts. Anyone up for it?

lofter1
November 28th, 2006, 09:44 AM
A good idea --

Seems for the most part that info now gets posted under Events (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41) at this thread: New York City Guide For New Yorkers (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)

ablarc
November 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
^ Yeah, but there's never any discussion. Are we cultural stick-in-the-muds?

Marksix
November 29th, 2006, 04:47 AM
New York culture should not continue to be included in the New York City Guide for New Yorkers Forum, because out-of-towners love our culture, too!

The Forum will require its own moderator, because it's going to get huge FAST. Especially if past cultural topics are moved over to it.

The moderator is going to have to be very strict, to ensure that the culture stays at a certain quality level and New York-themed. No Britney Spears or Hillary Duff... unless they do a concert in the city. The movies "Tenacious D," "Saw III," and "Let's Go To Prison" don't qualify as New York culture... I don't think.

...quite! lol lol

It just occured to me when I finished Jay McInerney's "The Good Life" last night how many other books there must be that draw their inspiration from the city and what your perspectives are on such books.

Also, I was talking to a band member from Juliette & the Licks when they played here (Liverpool) and I asked where in New York they played. He said there are no NY venues anymore. Can this be true?

BrooklynRider
October 10th, 2007, 01:45 PM
It seems to me that this site as a whole represents "New York Culture," thus the name "Wired New York."

Which of these forums is not, in thread topics or content, New York City Culture:

New York Architecture and Skyscrapers
New York Real Estate
New York Metro Area
New York City for New Yorkers
New York City for Vistors
News & Politics

All of those are relevant to NYC culture.

If the intent is to create a place to post about the arts, literature, and events, my experience here is that there are relatively few posts of that nature - and Events is used without much confusion.

As an example, Front_Porch wrote a book about her experiences in the New York City Real Estate industry. Is that NYC Culture (literature), NYC Real Estate, Social Forum, NYC for New Yorkers, or NYC for Vistors?

Another example, there's an exhibition of art and historic photographs about 1930's skyscrapers at the Museum of the City of New York. Is that NYC Culture (museums), NYC Architecture & Skyscrapers, NYC for New Yorkers, NYC for Visitors, or Events?

Another example, the Republican Convention comes to New York City and the subway is closed below MSG and local people are protesting the police treatment of locals and requirements that residents on closed streets must show ID. Is this News & Politics, NYC Culture, New York City for New Yorkers?

NYC Mayoral race is it Culture or Politics? World Trade Center funding lags - NYC culture?

NYC Culture runs through nearly every thread. My vote is "no."

Front_Porch
October 10th, 2007, 02:19 PM
As an example, Front_Porch wrote a book about her experiences in the New York City Real Estate industry. Is that NYC Culture (literature), NYC Real Estate, Social Forum, NYC for New Yorkers, or NYC for Vistors?

Why, it's all of the above, of course!!

:)

ali r.
{downtown broker}

ZippyTheChimp
October 10th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Not necessary, especially since "Social Club" was created since this topic was started.

BrooklynRider
October 10th, 2007, 09:02 PM
That is not what I said. I said that every thread in this forum, by the nature of this website, has a sub-context of New York Culture.

I believe the membership here is tuckered out of thread plucking.

lofter1
October 10th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Now don't be callin' nobody no thread plucker ...

I believe that would violate the rules of the forum :cool:

stache
October 11th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Yes, we've had quite enough thread plucking here in the recent past.

stache
October 11th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Why, it's all of the above, of course!!

:)

ali r.
{downtown broker}

You forgot Anything Goes!

Front_Porch
October 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Aww! On top of that fabulous hairdo, you're sweet too!