PDA

View Full Version : formal restaurant in downtown/midtown

Skyline
November 29th, 2006, 06:51 PM
there is someone coming over to nyc this christmas from california to spend the christmas. i would like to take her to really nice formal restaurant in midtown or downtown manhattan. i dont know that many formal restaurants in manhattan at all so could anyone recommand me a place?

also, since i never been to really really really formal restaurant myself. it would be nice if u guys could help me out with some advice/tips.

ablarc
November 29th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Le Bernardin
Chanterelle
Four Seasons
Danube
Daniel
Café des Artistes
One if by Land

ZippyTheChimp
November 29th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Dress the part.

Luca
November 30th, 2006, 02:58 AM
taking it on from Zippy. Wear a nicely tailored, cosnervative (but not pisntripe) suit with a good quality shirt (somethign not too flashy from Canali or Brioni can't go wrong), 'dress' shoes but no tie.

Schadenfrau
November 30th, 2006, 09:10 AM
On the contrary, wear a tie. You don't want to end up wearing the spare they might toss you if ties are required.

Front_Porch
November 30th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I like all ablarc's choices but I'd throw in Gramercy Tavern -- great food in a less-stuffy, no-jacket required atmosphere that's still romantic.

All the expensive food temples want you to come back. If you tell them when you're making the reservation it's for a special occasion -- say an anniversary -- they will fuss over you accordingly.

And when you're there, ask the waiter any questions you have -- it's their job to help you -- and use the bread plate on your left.

Schadenfrau
November 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I'll also second Daniel and add Jean-Georges and La Grenouille.

lofter1
November 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I haven't run across any restaurants in NYC where ties are actually required (unlike the fairly firm "jacket required" rule) --

Coat AND tie are, IMO, the way to go for such an occasion. Your mention of the word "formal" seems to indicate same.

Ha -- for all we know Skyline dresses better than any of us ;)

OmegaNYC
November 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Damn, I was thinking about Applebee's in Times SQ. :p

Luca
November 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
On the contrary, wear a tie. You don't want to end up wearing the spare they might toss you if ties are required.

Are there still palces that do that??? :confused: :eek:

How demode' I wouldn't have expected such provinciality in NYC :cool:

lofter1
November 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Certain clubs have a closet full of horrifying jackets (none of which fit -- but that's part of the point: so you won't make the same mistake twice) for those who arrive less-than-properly-attired.

Ties? Don't know ...

Schadenfrau
November 30th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Are there still palces that do that??? :confused: :eek:

How demode' I wouldn't have expected such provinciality in NYC :cool:

You must be thinking of Los Angeles.

I'm pretty sure that most restaurants mentioned on this thread require both jacket and tie, and we should all be glad for that.

eddhead
November 30th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I like all ablarc's choices but I'd throw in Gramercy Tavern -- great food in a less-stuffy, no-jacket required atmosphere that's still romantic.

All the expensive food temples want you to come back. If you tell them when you're making the reservation it's for a special occasion -- say an anniversary -- they will fuss over you accordingly.

And when you're there, ask the waiter any questions you have -- it's their job to help you -- and use the bread plate on your left.

blue water grill as well.. not as stuffy but real nice.

Luca
December 1st, 2006, 02:12 AM
You must be thinking of Los Angeles.

I'm pretty sure that most restaurants mentioned on this thread require both jacket and tie, and we should all be glad for that.

Other than someone coming straight off a work meeting, what kind of stiff (under the age of 60, say) regularly wears a tie in their spare time?????? :rolleyes:

TipsyMcStagger
December 1st, 2006, 10:56 AM
... i dont know that many formal restaurants in manhattan at all so could anyone recommand me a place?....

Chowhound.com

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/show/18

Schadenfrau
December 1st, 2006, 01:55 PM
Other than someone coming straight off a work meeting, what kind of stiff (under the age of 60, say) regularly wears a tie in their spare time?????? :rolleyes:

Going to a formal meal shouldn't be "spare time." Do you want to roll up into Daniel in your cargo shorts or something?

FrankHegly
December 4th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Going to a formal meal shouldn't be "spare time." Do you want to roll up into Daniel in your cargo shorts or something?

I second this.......... if you are wanting to go to a formal restraunt then i am assuming you want to impress her..... so dress to impress...

... she is not really going to be impressed if they don't let you in, furthermore its going to make it even more obvious that you don't go formal very often..

DON'T TAKE THE RISK...its only a suit and tie!!!

ablarc
December 4th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I stopped wearing ties four years ago, and have never been refused admission anywhere. If it'll make you feel better, carry a tie in your pocket and whip it out if you need it.

Punzie
December 4th, 2006, 07:14 PM
there is someone coming over to nyc this christmas from california to spend the christmas. i would like to take her to really nice formal restaurant in midtown or downtown manhattan. . .

So far everybody has been discussing your part of this occasion. Have you asked her if she WANTS to go to a formal Manhattan restaurant?

During the holiday season, most women at these places are dressed to the hilt. Would she feel comfortable? Does she own dressy NY-winter clothes, or would she have to buy them?

She may not realize that if you take her to a formal restaurant, she will have to bring extra luggage. Specifically, a garment bag with:

- a winter dress or dressy outfit,
- dress shoes & matching purse,
- a dressy winter overcoat & accessories,
- the right hosiery,
- special undergarments for her outfit, and
- matching jewelry.

Some out-of town women have no problem with the extra packing and primping; some actually look forward to it; others find it a big burden. See how she feels before you do any more planning.

Luca
December 6th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I stopped wearing ties four years ago, and have never been refused admission anywhere. If it'll make you feel better, carry a tie in your pocket and whip it out if you need it.

Don't you get thrown out of the cool architect club if you WEAR a tie? Slightly deconstructed blue shirt, back suit and 'interesting' glasses is the uniform, ne c'est pas?.

ablarc
December 6th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Don't you get thrown out of the cool architect club if you WEAR a tie? Slightly deconstructed blue shirt, back suit and 'interesting' glasses is the uniform, ne c'est pas?.
Nah, blue shirts was last year. This year, architects are blackshirts.

See the architects in the St. Petersburg lineup for illustration. http://www.gazprom-city.info/competition

Also, shaved heads.

Blackshirts. Skinheads.

plado37
December 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I would wear a nice suit, I dont see a problem with a Pin Stripe suit, as well, make sure you wear a tie and nice shoes. Well you are at it dont forget a deep wallet, and if your not used to midtown prices then dont be surprised if it sets you back a few hundred dollars for a good dinner.
Some good restaurants that I highly recommend

Milos's
Le Cirque
4 Seasons
Nobu (Sushi 57th street)
Post House (Steak House not a great dating atmosphere)
Smith and Wollenskys (steak)
Aquvit (Great dating spot amazing food and atmosphere)
Shun Lee Palace
Atelier
Baloud

Those are some of my favorite high end restaurants in the Midtown Area that I have been to.

Enjoy