PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Area (Manhattan)

LavenderSunrise
November 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Good/Bad neighborhood?

I've always had dreams of living in Manhattan, I recently applied for a job making approximately 55K a year. Not much can be afforded in Manhattan on this salary....I've found a few things in Clinton that seem okay, but I'm wondering if the area is shaky.

Any advice would be great.

Schadenfrau
November 30th, 2006, 12:21 AM
You mean Hell's Kitchen?

It's a fine neighborhood, but I have doubts that anything in that neighborhood would fit into the price range, unless you're talking roommates.

LavenderSunrise
November 30th, 2006, 06:43 AM
It lists Clinton as the area. 1 Bedroom for 1500, Studio for 950.

daver
November 30th, 2006, 08:40 AM
It lists Clinton as the area. 1 Bedroom for 1500, Studio for 950.
Clinton is real-estate speak for Hell's Kitchen. They done renamed it. Sort of. What streets are you looking at there? Those prices seem WAY too low for that area.

Schadenfrau
November 30th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I don't really believe those prices, either. I had a friend who has a maybe 300-350 square foot apartment that was considered a one-bedroom, and that was going for more than the listed prices.

In your price range, I'd suggest looking much farther uptown.

OmegaNYC
November 30th, 2006, 10:41 AM
lol. I was thinking the samething. Clinton, Hell's Kitchen, Midtown West, (what ever you wanna call it) can be expensive. Though, I heard that some apartments can go for cheep in some areas. I guess if you want to live near the PA, or the Lincoln Tunnel, that can maybe be kind of cheep. :)

LavenderSunrise
November 30th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I just want to be safe, and preferably in Manhattan lol.

gasstronamicle
November 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM
east village, its decently safe. and fits in your price range.

Schadenfrau
November 30th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Sorry, but you've got to be kidding about thinking you could get a place in the East Village for that price.

kurokevin
November 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I know people on the 6th floor of a walk-up in the furthest depths of Chinatown paying over $2,000 for a Convertible Apt. This definetly seems strange for Hell's Kitchen, or, <shudder> "Clinton".

ryan
November 30th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Those prices seem about right for crappy (yet loved) Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

LavenderSunrise
December 1st, 2006, 04:04 PM
No crappiness for me please.

I saw some in the E.V. as well. It seems maybe the trends are starting to go downward?

they are all probably 200 sq ft. ;)

ThisIsntMyRealName
December 1st, 2006, 07:09 PM
I am a student here. The decent places that I found started around $2000 a month for a studio in Manhattan. Lower than that and you will be on the 6th floor or in the basement in a place with holes in the walls and a floor that is falling in.

antinimby
December 1st, 2006, 11:38 PM
Makes it easier to get to know your neighbors. :D

itsallgoode9
December 2nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
Clinton is real-estate speak for Hell's Kitchen. They done renamed it. Sort of. What streets are you looking at there? Those prices seem WAY too low for that area.

My friend is renting a 1 bedroom (i'd estimate a 12x14 br and larger living room) on 45th between 6th and 7th...er maybe 7th and 8th, i don't remember. But it's got a 24 hour doorman, live in super, elevator and laundry for $1650/month. Don't know if that's quite considered Hell's Kitchen, but it's close, so it's not 100% unreasonable to be able to dig up a place in that area. I think it's pretty nice, definitly not new, but it's nice. then again we're 24 year old recent graduates so what we might consider "good enough" currently might be considered a dump by others.

Front_Porch
December 3rd, 2006, 09:43 AM
You might want to post how he/she found that gem, because if that's the Camelot (the doorman building on the corner of 8th) I don't see anything offered at those prices since 2004.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

lofter1
December 3rd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Ali --

Do you know if The Camelot (301 W. 45th / aka 717 8th avenue) has any rent regulated units?

My guess would be yes, as DOB records seem to indicate that it was constructed in 1962, prior to the passage of the Rent Stabilization laws.

Department of Housing, Preservation and Development (HPD) shows (http://167.153.4.71/Hpdonline/select_application.aspx) a total of 176 residential units.

And that the current owner (http://167.153.4.71/Hpdonline/select_application.aspx) is a small LLC: 301 WEST 45TH ST LLC

Corcoran (http://www.corcoran.com/agents/listings.aspx?userid=PGAVRIANI&Region=NYC) shows a "Recent Sale" for a condo in that building: 301 W 45th Street Clinton Condo

I'm curious, because that site would appear to be a prime development plot. But if a building the size of The Camelot has any number of regulated tenants then that would significantly complicate the matter regarding demo / new building on that site.

itsallgoode9
December 3rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
You might want to post how he/she found that gem, because if that's the Camelot (the doorman building on the corner of 8th) I don't see anything offered at those prices since 2004.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

No, it's not the camelot, it's the Whitby. Pretty sure she found it through a broker through craigslist.

Front_Porch
December 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
itsallgoode: The Whitby, interesting. That's not a building full of renters, it's a building full of owners, so your friend has a sublet. (I am frowning over this as I speak, because my system says it's a co-op, and I could have sworn it was a condo; maybe, because it's a building known for show people, it has an easy sublet policy.)

I'd argue that in some ways those are very alcove studio-like one-bedrooms, since, with the units I've seen anyway, the kitchen is not separate . . . but still, it's a great building.

I do not, however, see any prices that good in the last 18 months. 1 bedrooms under $2,000 seem to be a phenom of late 2004 and early 2005.

Lisa Camilleri of Corcoran appears to have done a couple of transactions in that building, so I would regard her as the go-to.

Lofter: I don't know of any way to find rent-regulated units in a building -- as far as I know, you have to ask DHCR about each unit separately, and in writing. A local broker could probably help some (while I live in Midtown, I don't work it) although any really great deal is going to end up going to somebody's sister. I would really chase this one the old-fashioned way, by showing up with my friend Ulysses S. Grant and making friends with the doormen . . . maybe they know who is going to move, or will look kindly upon your plight and get you in touch with the building's owner.

separately -- not to disrespect our friends at Corcoran -- how could you sell a condo in the Camelot? It's not a condo building with sublets, it's a rental building --- as far as I can see, all 176 apartments are one entity.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

lofter1
December 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Ali ...

I was very surprised to see that "condo" listing for The Camelot on Corcoran. Can't believe everything you read, eh?

My bet would be that The Camelot has a majority of long-term Rent Stabilized residents.

That won't stop the property from being torn dow and replaced with a new market race residential tower -- as RS regulations allow eviction / relocation of tenants in the case of Demolition. However, in a building of this size, that could be both problematic & expensive.

lofter1
December 3rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
1988 article from the NY Times on changes at The Whitby HERE (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DEFDF163CF937A35752C0A96E9482 60)

itsallgoode9
December 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
That was a cool article, thanks for posting :)