PDA

View Full Version : help on this restaurants (and Broad show)

lorcar
December 3rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Hi all.

a very good friend of mine is coming from Italy to NY, with wife and other couple. They are young (around 36), successful, nice people, money is not an issue (even though they are not the people who throw the money out just for sake of it and showing off).
I would like to suggest them the best broadway show the have to see, and a friend of mine told me is Wicked, but i have no idea.

At the same time, i would like to suggest them some very good restaurant. I would not like to suggest a restaurant with great food but stiff and old environment.

So far i collected these names:
stanton social
babouche, in SoHo
French-Vietnamese---Sapa
Sushi----Nobu, Morimoto, or Sushi of Gari
-Mercer Kitchen.
- Magnolia Bakery, as NY experience even though not restaurant

any suggestion?
thanks a lot in advance

lofter1
December 3rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
If you are eating dinner before a Broadway then show I strongly suggest something in the area -- a few blocks away at most (having to travel a distance via subway / cab between meal / theatre can be really stressful, as it often takes longer than expected) ...

A few restaurants that are near theaters / Times Square and that have terrific food / atmosphere (locations are approximate):

Marseille (9th Avenue / 45th St.)

Orso (46th St. west of 8th Avenue)

Angus McEndoe (44th St. east of 8th Avenue)

Cafe Une Duex Trois (45th St. between 6th Avenue / Broadway)

Blue Fin (Broadway / 47th Street)

Cafe Cielo (8th Avenue / 53rd Street)

If you're eating after the theatre then venture further away if you like.

Babbo in Greenwich Village near Washington Square Park is great.

SHOWS:

"Wicked" is lots of flash (not my cup of tea)

"Jersey Boys" is terrific, although it might not have the same impact on a Non-American audience.

For the more esoteric (great performances by Christine Ebersole and Mary Louise Wilson): "Grey Gardens"

lorcar
December 3rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
thanks a lot for the quick answer!
i had already heard Babbo
As far as the shows, frankly speaking i had never heard these. I thought it should be something like Aida, Lion King, Phantom of the Opera, Chours line.
I remember 5 years ago i saw 42nd Street and was really great.

lofter1
December 3rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Christine Ebersole, star of "Grey Gardens", won the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical for "42nd Street" ...

"Lion King" is terrific (at least it was when I saw it 8+ years ago).

"Phantom" .. so-so.

"Chorus Line" -- a brilliant show, but this revival production was a disappointment for me.

"Aida" has closed.

shocka
December 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Avenue Q as long as no1 is offended by puppets having sex.

If going out for dinner on a different night then the play, I suggest

Tao, Asia De Cuba, Angelos (my fav italian spot in nyc.)

If doing a Sat lunch.. Chola buffet is really good.

Enjoy

shocka

ps. my other favorites can be found at http://www.realityimpaired.net

Front_Porch
December 5th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I'd say the hot draw now is probably Jersey Boys. My out-of-town clients just requested tickets to Mamma Mia! and Wicked, I think, is good too --- all are musicals.

Just be aware that the big shows upcharge for the holidays, so the "normally" $150 prime orchestra seats are suddenly $350.

GodSpeed
December 7th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Show-wise, see Broadwaybox.com (http://www.broadwaybox.com). It's a commuinty site featuring tickets for Broadway & Off-Broadway shows, including some heavy discounts to the non-sold outs. You can read reviews and listings and see seating charts.