PDA

View Full Version : First visit

juls
December 5th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone. My son and I are visiting New York for the first time ever on 17th Dec :D . Any tips, advice, suggestions etc etc would be greatky appreciated. We are over, from the Uk, for 5 days staying at the Roosevelt so would like to plan ahead as much possible.My son is 12 so any 'child friendly' ideas would also be welcome
Many thanks in advance
Juls

conezone
December 5th, 2006, 10:00 PM
You'd probably both enjoy the American Museum of Natural History.

antinimby
December 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I'm sure the kid will love to go up to the Empire State Building observation deck.

pacz
December 6th, 2006, 06:24 AM
The observation deck at Top of the Rock in Rockeller Center has great views of the city and the Empire State Building.

Theme restaurants like Mars 2112 and Jekyll and Hyde are fun, although the food is not the best.

Central Park Zoo is great! Small, but inexpensive. The Tropical Rain Forest section is a welcome treat on a cold day.

Have a great trip!

juls
December 9th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Many thanks for the ideas. Is it worth buying tickets for Empire State before coming out?
Juls

tdp
December 9th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Is it worth buying tickets for Empire State before coming out?

Most definately Yes! www.esbnyc.com (http://www.esbnyc.com) you will avoid some of the queues by doing so.
Personally, I would recommend the Top of the Rock www.topoftherocknyc.com (http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/) for a better experience - but if you have time DO BOTH!

Hard Rock Cafe and Planet Hollywood are a good eating experience for kids.

Wrap up warm - it's bound to be cold!

Above all - enjoy your trip!

juls
December 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks think we will try the Rockafellar top as its something different than the Empire State (will do both time allowing though!) :)

Juls

lofter1
December 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Be aware that the wait time to get to the top of the ESB can mean HOURS standing in line. Try going to the ESB after 10 PM -- usually not much of a line at all.

On the other hand there is hardly ever ANY wait to get to the Top of the Rock (partly due to the fact that far more people can be accomodated on atop Rock Center, partly because seemingly far fewer people know about it).

juls
December 9th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks, would like to do one at night so will take your advice and do ESB last thing one of the days. Another really dumb question now ........seen as I only have a small fold out map to go by is it feasible to walk from where we will be (east 45th) to down towards the Staten ferry - how many miles/km is it?
Sorry but asthe trip gets closer the more strange queries pop into my head! Also is there really a problem with finding public restrooms or was my friend winding me up!?
Juls

lofter1
December 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM
It's a great walk -- lots to see. Probably about 2.5 miles. Google Map HERE (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=staten+island+ferry,+new+york,+ny&ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=40.709532,-74.012146&spn=0.110084,0.228653&t=h&om=1)

If you're a strong walker and you go non-stop (though you'll most likely want to check out some things along the way, so double the time) you could do that stretch from 45th down 5th Avenue / Broadway to the Staten Island Ferry in ~ 1.5 hours --

But just know that yesterday it was about 25 degrees and blustery outside :eek: so in that case you might want to take the Subway (last week it was 60 degrees :confused: ) ...

For bathrooms just pop into a Starbucks -- they are everywhere along the north <> south Avenues, and pretty much all have available facilities.

PS: Our new governor-elect is planning an outdoor inauguration ceremony at the beginning of January (in Albany), but he's been put on notice that the forecast for that day is for temperatures ~ 15 degrees --

How they know that is beyond me because it seems that the weather folks here in NY are rarely right more than 3-4 days in advance.

The more trustworthy Farmer's Almanac is showing mid-town NYC (http://www.almanac.com/weather/forecast/index.php?zipcode=10036) high temps in the 40s - 50s for the coming week ...

juls
December 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Excellant, thanks very much for info and links. As for the advanced weather forecasts - sounds pretty much the same as over here! Mild winds we were told the other day - mini tornedo took place in London! Thanks again, Juls